Detector Weight Transfer

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Sometime ago I designed, Provisionally Patented and built a prototype device to transfer the weight of a metal detector to my lumbar area.
I used this device, which I called "Dinkum Swinger" for a few weeks in the Golden Triangle where I found it beneficial for my old limbs. The only problem was it didn't find any gold!

I sent "Dinkum Swinger", with its Provisional Patent, to a large Australian detector company but they were not interested. As I don't have the money, time or inclination to make a dollar out of it I will post it here for fellow prospectors to maybe benefit from.

1503460298_ds_side_view.jpg

As a prototype it worked well and transferred all the weight of the detector to my back (lumbar area). The pushing in the lumbar area for me actually feels comfortable.
I have a few idea's to improve it, but as it is it is simple and effective.

When I get permission I will post the lapsed Provisional Patent and 3 drawings so you might get a better idea of it.

Looks fairdinkum good Dinkum :Y: keen to see your drawings I think a few might benefit from your idea thanks for sharing :Y:.

Might be worth asking the Mods to put this in the Detector Accessories section, just a thought.

I've seen a few variations of that concept. Seems like it would apply even tension when swinging left and right which would be good.
Might be good with the GPZ19 coil.

G'day Phase Tech

Yes it does provide a relatively even tension provided the swing angle is kept within reasonable limits.
The tension going up and down an incline needs control on the prototype but is still workable.
I should soon be able to include words and pictures on this site.

Hi dinkum, the idea looks good. Just looking at it though you would need weight in rear so that harnes does not pull up the back. That seems to be the problem i have found with the minelab harness and the setups that i have made to take weight of your arm.Even having harnes straps super tight does not seem to help, and for long days one has be still be comfortable, especially if they have some health issues to also have to deal with. Even with hipsticks the harness still pulls at the top and tries to pull over your shoulder. I do not carry water bottles or or other items on my harnes setup.
I am not being negative to you or your idea, just putting this to you.

G'day travelergold.

I understand your concerns. Every action has an equal and opposite reaction.

The prototype shown in the photo works well with no excessive load on the shoulders. For the prototype I have used a quality external framed small pack with space for airflow. This pack is designed like many to load the hips. I do carry water and a little extra in the pack and I guess this all helps to balance the load. With this design you can feel the load against your lumbar area and for me this feels good.

I must include some more photos here and maybe a Y-Tube when I get a roundtuit.

Thanks for your input.

G'day Prospectors

You will find a short video of the Dinkum Swinger by searching for "Detector Weight Transfer"
It shows the operation of the DS focusing on the lack of load on the arm and wrist.
If there is some interest I will take some images of the dismantled DS.

Photo of a rock found near Laverton WA. Now if it was Au !!!!!!!!!!!
1505597316_au_stone_m_.jpg

Good on ya dinkum for sharing your invention.
Mate I feel your pain as I have had many patent apps and challenges over the years and its hard work I tell you.
I respect what you have done and offered the idea up to those that might benefit .
The major company rejected your concept because it would never make money. Not all great ideas do. The cost of the patent and its associated costs
including tooling up, compared to what this product would retail for, could not be justified. Sad but true. Profit margins are all any body is interested in good idea or not.
Anyway mate well done and thanks again for sharing.

GT :)

1522830546_img_5065_1.jpg

1522830546_img_5069.jpg

1522830546_img_5075.jpg

1522830547_img_5079_mod_.png

G'day Folks

Attached photos show some more detail of the Dinkum Swinger including a different version:

My original backpack version shows a modification. A ball bearing swivel has been included as shown in the previous drawings (lever arm swing fitting)
Also a simple friction height adjuster is added as shown in the photo.

I have also made a different swinger based on the same principles. An off the shelf detector harness has been used for this one.
The photos should be fairly self explanatory. Music (Piano) rod, as available from hobby shops, is used and is mostly 7/32 although 1/4 is used for the torque tube (rod).
A ball bearing swing fitting and simple height adjuster is also incorporated. Basic workshop tools and a metal lathe have been required for these improvements.
I found ball bearings in the swing fitting necessary to stop jerky movement.

Further improvements could be made. For instance the lever arm could be fairly solid. maybe carbon fiber might be used.

Both Dinkum Swingers will be tested soon in North Qld. Wish us luck. So far all I have found is enough lead for a yacht keel !!!
I will post any teething trouble we might find.

I am in far north Queensland (where people go troppo) digging holes in the ground. Wombats do it to. Anyway I have also been using the Dinkum Swingers and offer the following:

If you are strong and fit enough not to need a swinging aid, then thats great.
If you are not as tough as old boots then a swinging aid will help, but they can get in the way at times.
I have not used other styles of swinging aids so can't comment on them.
I have found the prototype Dinkum Swinger, as fitted to the backpack with external frame, to work very well with a light coil, however improvements are still required.
The Dinkum Swinger shown fitted to the harness requires considerable improvement. The main problem is the harness is a bit wobbly so I think a backpack frame is probably the way to go.
The Dinkum Swinger, as with some other types allows the left hand free to say carry a pick.
I use a small LiPo battery and Bluetooth on the detector. This allows the detector to be easily removed.

Here are some further idea's on the detail:
I have used a quality backpack with an external frame. This allows the DS mechanism to effectively transfer the metal detector load to the attached frame. The load is comfortably pushed into the rear, mainly around the waist belt of the backpack.
A well fitting waist belt is important.
The prototype shown has too much give in the lever arm. This means a light coil only could be used effectively. Best if the lever arm is stiff. I guess the torque tube and reaction arm could also be stiff.
The lever arm swing fitting needs to be friction free. I have used 2 small ball races in a brass housing. I will incorporate swing stops next, in this housing, to limit the swing to say 45 degrees.
The extension on the lever arm (see photo) incorporates a solid plastic pulley and a friction fitting for the bungee cord that attaches to the detector. These are both adjustable allowing quick control of detector height.
When this extension is removed it can be used by itself on the detector as a left hand handle. Good for the side banks in creeks etc.
This extension of the lever arm has a friction fit into the music wire piece fastened to the brass swivel. This allows the detector to be easily removed from the DS.
This music wire piece is a nuisance as it flops around, so I will work on a better quick release such as a bayonet fitting.
The prototype has a fixed connection at the lever arm to torque rod fitting. It would be best if this was adjustable and removable such as with a spline fitting.
Also adjustable preload on the torque tube to cater for different coil weights would be beneficial.

The Dinkum Swinger could be made by an interested handyman however is would be best produced using modern construction methods and materials.

1529585390__20180619_213019.jpg

1529585390__20180619_213138.jpg

1529585390__20180619_213549.jpg

1529585390__20180620_19031301.jpg

I like the concept and having a torsion type arm putting the load to the lower back in a opposite direction to the load of the unsupported detector weight , that is genius :Y:

My opinion of how you should capitalise on your venture ..... is to make a retro fit model that easily attaches to each of the big brand harnesses that are on the market, now that is something i would pay upto a hundred bucks for :Y: but please include a one touch coupler to seperate the detector from the harness so its easy to take a piss or dig a target.

Only my opinion and reality is always harder than theory :D

Thanks for your interest aussiefarmer.

Yes a one touch decoupeler would be practicle and necessary for effective operation. The present design can be easily decoupled but needs a bayonet fitting on the leverarm extension. I use a lightweight LiPo battery on my unit with bluetooth audio, either speaker or headphone. This enables very easy operation.

I don't expect to produce the Dinkum Swinger so it is open for anyone who wants to have a go.

We are off North to find one or two decent nuggets ( May 2019 ) so wish us good luck.

Above I mentioned the need for a bayonet fitting on the lever-arm extension. That idea was too difficult so I fitted a magnet on the lever arm instead.
The magnet now hold the annoying lever arm swinging fitting. I will see how that performs soon. Image attached.

Also I have fitted a better way of mounting the dreaded pick. image attached.

I will do a separate post on some of our battery stuff that you might find interesting.

1557703096_paust_ds_.jpg

G'day Prospectors

Since my last comment I have been with a team of 4 hopefuls in FNQ. We found over hundred pieces between us. The most experienced and dedicated chap dug up over eighty, I got a measly four !!!

Anyway the Dinkum Swinger mostly worked well for me however here are some comments:

It would be best to have the backpack removable from the frame, as shown in the above drawings. This would enable the extra weight of drinking water and food to be removed when working in a specific location.

I used it with a heavier ML 7000 for a few days and although it worked well, the lever arm did swing below the horizontal. This indicates the benefit of designing the lever arm and reaction arm to be as rigid as possible. Carbon fiber sound good. Also a simple adjustment between the leaver arm and the reaction arm would be great to cater for different weights in coils etc.

1571468702_x_dsc_0331-1_2.jpg

I found there was no need for a bayonet fitting as the friction between the metal and plastic fitting for the removable swing arm component was good enough.

The forward metal components were a bit annoying when leaning over the coil to test the dig. Only a minor problem in my mind though.

My next modification will be a control on the leaver arm to adjust for up-slope and down-slope.

In the above image I show a super magnet fitted in my pick. It only worked a little. It needs to be much larger.

Latest posts