WHITES GMT Goldmaster information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought it could be a good idea to put together a Whites GMT learners resource. There is a lot of experienced user on this forum (not my self)that could contribute to a good discussion of the GMT functions and their experiences with each of the GMT's controls and how they interact with other controls. I have broken down the main controls. We pick a control and comment only on that control and our experiences with that control only then move onto a new control/function. You fellows can pick the functions/ controls.

1- AUTO TRACKING
2- MANUAL TRACKING
3- THRESHOLD ADJUSTMENT
4- V-SAT SETTING
5- AUDIO BOOST
6- GAIN SETTING
7- IRON DISCRIMINATION
8- MODIFICATIONS

IT DOES NOT NEED TO BE IN THIS ORDER. IF I HAVE MISSED A CONTROL LET ME KNOW.

Roscoe mate I just treat the threshold as volume that easy' it needs to hum let it hum I just let it hum loud with the built in speaker (unless it's windy I use head phones)
Iv got very good with it the last few years and it talks to me. I run loud threshold and feel that I'm hearing every thing that's in the ground, I don't loose "tiny" gold running a loud threshold like most ppl say you will . I never use boost and hardly ever run manual it takes too much concentration to keep calm Just remember ! There's 3 things that the GMT listens to is' 1# ground noise , 2# hot rocks and 3#targets . keep things simple and it doesn't get Complicated.

Thanks for that Zuke. I hate head phones myself. Hey, sounds good the KISS principle mate. Will sure give that a go, thanks.

7-IRON DISCRIMINATION (switch pushed forward)
I don't use this a lot as I generally run high gain and fast SAT speeds
When using high gain and fast SAT speeds it does't perform real well on iron trash
I believe if you wish to use this setting, run your GMT in factory set positions (little triangle markings) and you will find it oinks like a pig on most iron trash if the target is too close just lift the coil a little when you sweep. Great function for cleaning up an area to bring the big guns in (minelab pi) works a lot better than minelabs disc function.

Iv built small amplified speaker systems that plug into the head phone jack using uhf handheld mic's so I could clip them high up on my collar if it's windy.
A lot of ppl iv seen use the jB high Fi ext speaker for iphones
About $25 worth and charge with USB you can screw the clip of the back of a tape measure
And mount It the same.

Thanks Zuke, My daughter has a ipod booster speaker, I will give that one a try out. I will have a sticky beak at the JB HI FI one as well, thanks for time mate...roscoe

I used Nokia MD-11 speakers when I had a GMT which I found had better audio than the stock internal speaker. The MD-11's have a built in amplifier & run on 3 x AAA batteries. Cost about $10 each. You can hook them up together to get a dual speaker set up or as many as you like. Each one has a socket to plug another one into. Downside is they don't have a volume control but I thought they worked well.

1383689584_gmt_speakers.jpg

Photo of my set up before selling 8.( Still see spots where it would be nice to have it. You could easily set them up to attach onto yourself if required.
Edit: I have these attached to the arm cuff screw on either side. They fitted there nice & neatly + weigh nothing that would worry your days swinging :) You also need a 6mm plug to 3.5mm socket adapter - about $2 or $3

Now that is a nifty little setup Mbasko, I seen on ebay a set of two for 25 dollars. I really like the idea how they plug into each other and with your picture they mate in real neat, thanks for showing us that...roscoe

G'day Rosco I tried the settings mentioned on her i ran on manual not the auto track setting tried to get a slighty hot coil on the down stroke to get a little bit of noise as it goes down toward the ground but I kept having to dig because i was getting what seemed a good signal.

Zuke Lynzy I am in Melbourne but would happily drive and meet you anywhere you'd want to go. Any day I am pretty flexible.

newbie I could meet you at Greytown one weekend maybe in two weeks
Iv got a few quartz areas that we could go over to see what's there could easy fill a day in
Cook a BBQ lunch few beers sound ok?

Its a same i live so far away from you fellows, would liked to of come to. Sounds like a good day out, good luck...roscoe

I guess we have covered discrimination guys does someone want to move to a different subject?

Me and newbie had our day out last sat' played with some settings looked at some different ground and did some detecting no luck with the yellow tho. the ground was realy bad for VLF Actually drove me mad' just too hot but the beers and lunch was great! Great to meet newbie really nice bloke and hope to plan the next trip soon.

Reading this and watching the Gerry's video almost makes me want to get a GMT.. Then I remember just how frustrating hot rocks are grrrrr cold rocks are easy with the boing but thos hot ones that just zip zip zip like a nice sweet target.....

Someone tell me that the GMT has an awesome hotrock ignore feature!!!

Unfortunately it doesn't but with enough practice you can tell 70% of hot rocks by ear.
Iron discrimination settings set "correct" will also cover the other 30% but the learning process will drive most ppl up the wall I still find areas that I have to walk away from.
They can be picked up second hand now for $400+
Auto trac will decay the hot rock signal after a few sweeps this is what I depend on
Sweep side to side If it's not a sharp signal both ways keep going

Totally right you can tell them after a couple of sweeps it has most difficulty where there are a couple together. Then it has trouble to auto track them out. That really hot area was pretty noisy and the coil gets a little chatty when it's bummed but spending a day just watching someone who knows the machine is quite good. Been messing around with mine at home I think I want to you with the threshold a bit more. Make it really quite this would work for coin shooting really well or even beach hunting on the dry sand. The unit can make a fair bit of noise on wet ground quite a bit chatty so you could miss small targets. Or just get fed up with it.

Using this detector is kinda like fishing with worms it's tried it's proven but you need a lot of patience. The small coil looks good to get in the tight spots. On the right ground this thing could be deadly.

Thanks again Zuke-Lynzy hope you weren't to late back.

Sorry I should read my post be for clicking post. I want to do more playing with the threshold. Try and get it so you barely hear the hum then listen for any sound. I was practising with coins and it screams at you even at about 6-7 inchs. It picked up a ring at that depth to very easily. Could be great to use that swing on the beach with the threshold down till you hear nothing. You target still screams at you.

Latest posts