opal mining white cliffs nsw

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mackka said:
Thanks Grubsteak and 20xwater very interesting and I now have a better understanding. I still think I will stay above ground but keep puttin up the pics.
Mackka

That's what I thought too, until last August when I visited an old mate who's mining for opals at Glengarry, to the west of Lightning Ridge. His equipment looked a good deal rougher than 20xwater's gear, but the temptation to see for myself what it was really like down the hole was strong enough to override my fears and I ventured down the shaft several times.

Having done so, I take my hat off to anyone who can toil away underground day in/day out (or year in/year out, in most cases), chasing that elusive flash of colour. It's hard, dirty, noisy, dangerous work, with no certainty of any reward at all, that makes metal detecting on the surface look like a walk in the park in comparison!

latest pic of drive as of 1 hour ago..
1492141992_day_4.jpg

this is the most efficient system of face hammering, taking advantage of fracturing the line of gravity..
1492142229_gravity_hammer.jpg

I'm going to call this material 'opal tird' lol..
1492142299_wp_20170413_13_34_52_pro.jpg

1492142318_wp_20170413_13_33_43_pro.jpg

just like gold, it does strange things to people, or should I just say "it turns up the volume of greed and selfishness that already exists"..

Many thanks for this brilliant thread 20xwater. A great illustration as to what actually happens in a working mine. Hope that 'jackpot colour' ain't long in coming. Best, Tim

Awesome pics and info. Opal is what started my interest in any kind of fossicking etc as a kid. Thanks for the share

So thread necro can be a good thing. Binge read this thread today from start to finish, so interesting. Let's hope Mr water is too busy finding opals and that's why the thread has been dormant.

Latest posts