roof top on tray

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
just wondering if anyone has setup one of those roof top tents on the tray of a drop side ute . or to be more exact on a false floor a few feet up from the tray like a camper trailer so you have storage under but not as high up as the roof top if you get my drift .

johno

texta said:
just wondering if anyone has setup one of those roof top tents on the tray of a drop side ute . or to be more exact on a false floor a few feet up from the tray like a camper trailer so you have storage under but not as high up as the roof top if you get my drift .

johno

Johno just remember if you are not going to go as high as "normal", remember any roof topper with a drop down tent area the walls will be to long :Y:
Watched a mate build a trailer to mount one and buy a roof topper to then realise, when he put it up that the walls were about a foot longer than his vertical height :8 oops :D

Bogger said:
texta said:

johno

Johno just remember if you are not going to go as high as "normal", remember any roof topper with a drop down tent area the walls will be to long :Y:
Watched a mate build a trailer to mount one and buy a roof topper to then realise, when he put it up that the walls were about a foot longer than his vertical height :8 oops :D
yeah mate thanks i did think of that and thought i would skip the annex add on and just go with a roll out type annex .still tossing around ideas we are not getting any younger and are starting to rethink and the mrs not real keen on any ladders at night . she is now saying just to go with a good old traditional tent on the ground to start with . then if it gets enough use maybe a camper trailer . i am an old camper from way back camped all over the UK as a kid ,me and the old man in an old army bivy tent and loved every minute of it . i have made the frame for the canvas canopy for the ute but i may not go with that idea yet . $1,700 for the cover that i could spend on something a lot more useful than that .

johno

Johno just a thought as not sure where your located ............... some areas, on the grounds not a good option. Since you say you have a tray a good roomy dome type swag just set up in the tray might be a good option, without a lot of the cash being outlaid ? Also gives you the option of being able to use on the ground if the area is suitable ? Just roll it out at night

Just throwing ideas around here as personally have never found the perfect set up ........................ always a shortfall somewhere no matter the chosen way to go.

Something like this as they are very roomy inside

https://www.wildearth.com.au/buy/da...MI7fWp0Y6P2gIV1wMqCh3ZZQT9EAQYAyABEgLei_D_BwE

started out with a small tent with the swag inside,, then moved up to an oztent, 6 x 6 not big enough for the camp stretcher now have the oztent rv5 8x8 just the right size 30 second erection 60 sec pack up finding the flat spot is the hardest when its just me the 7 x 5 old caravelle camp trailer is the next best not as luxurious as a caravan easier to disconnect from the car and level up, then the camping trailer look at the footprint that will give you an idea go how much flat land you need my old caravell tent on a trailer suits my needs can carry the basic gear you need having a tent attached to your vehicle is a pain in the butt you gotta pack it up to use you vehicle my thoughts you need to give plenty of thought to you and your partners comfort standing up, cooking out of the rain/sun

Kings big daddy deluxe double swag heaps of room with mattress and only $200 on net 4 wheel drive super center .

Or put tent on 6x4 trailer as I have done so car is free to drive while set up.
1522261694_imag0566-1024x576.jpg

Edited as realised was getting away from the string ie Roof top on tray.
Probably topper or swag/ tent set up or slide on is pretty much it. Slide on great, but the cost when I was looking bordered on crazy :(

Johno good luck with it and let us know for sure what you end up with :Y:

Vstrom,

Love the idea to use your tables as Trailer sides, hard to tell in the pic do you have pivoting retaining clips at the top to hold them in the angle at the bottom or are they secured from the inside somehow?

Ive seen a couple of rigs using a kingkrome alloy tool box either side of the tray for lockable storage and the rooftop tent on top of the boxes. It looks pretty good and allows for storage between the boxes as well. After swagging it for years I now prefer to be off the ground a bit. I have a stretcher tent called a Bunker that is very comfortable with a small Danelli self inflating mattress in it. Good luck with it. There is a lot of good stuff available now

think i have got it worked out for the time being .what we might do is just buy an Oztent rv 2 and a few bits of other gear that we used to have but dont have now and add another long tool box on the tray of the ute to go with the one we already have for our gear . then use the tent for a while and do some camping for maybe a season (winter is my season ) while we are camping we can look at other setups that people have and what works and what does not, talk to people in camping areas and get opinions then decide if we are going to get the use out of it buy a camp trailer or whatever we think would be the best upgrade .
so thats the plan unless we change our mind again of course . so now got to look at air mattresses and a few other bits and bobs .

johno

Latest posts