141Ct Party Colour Sapphire

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't heard - but this is about the time of year when a "big find" on the field tends to make it's way to the newspapers, just in time for the start of the tourist season :)

I know this is an old thread but it's surely possible.
Still plenty too be found out there.

I found my very first sapphire in the edge of an old creek bank on the outskirts of sapphire 8ct blue

"I haven't heard - but this is about the time of year when a "big find" on the field tends to make it's way to the newspapers, just in time for the start of the tourist season"

The girls are at it again! ;)

Yep, start of the cooler, drier weather heralds the beginning of the tourist season on the CQ gemfields and the big find headlines :)

However, they certainly do exist and turn up there from time to time. I have a 155 carat blue found by my father at Russian gully (unfortunately a bit dark for faceting but might be a good carving subject). I remember a European couple up the track from us at around the same time (late 70's/early 80's) found a very large, good quality green they dubbed "The Easter Egg" because they found it on Easter Sunday. Can't recall the weight but she was big. And I was shown an absolutely stunning 107 carat stone a few years back by the bloke who shot the compass bearings for our claims - it was an incredible stone, very clean, light green in one direction, orange in the other and pink in artificial light. A true alexandrite stone!

So the big finds are not that common but they keep us all inspired :D

Latest posts