Heatho's Equinox Madness 2018

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheers fellas.

Hey GP, yeah I reckon the recovery speed is definitely a big advantage, the CTX probably would have nailed a few of these but certainly not a chance on some. I was hunting in Park1 and that is the setting that is biased toward the lower conductors, surprising how well this detector does.

It certainly is a big surprise in a little package GW, you get a lot of detector for the price.

Smoky, I was in Park1, the only things I have done is change tone region 3 from 20 to 18 to make it easier to ping sixpence and make them stand out among the trash, turned up the audio a bit as I like to use the inbuilt speaker and turn the recovery speed up to 7 from 5 as it is extremely trashy and 5 didn't cut it. Pretty standard setup. No ground balance and just did an auto tune, not that it needed it but I just do it as habit at the start of each hunt.

Heatho, do you think you might be more persuaded to detect targets by ear on the Equinox, over utilising TID's as on the CTX (thinking from a Deus viewpoint)?

I only ask as you no longer have fe/co numbers to go on, and some targets may be beyond TID accuracy on the nox, especially if masked by junk or if deeper targets.

Steve Hersschbach did indicate that to get the best out of the nox that utilising the audio was the way to go, as it is on the Deus.

Good question GP, to be honest I've never been one to just rely on TID's, I really started detecting with the aldi and the way to use that was purely with the audio, also my background is audio engineering so detectimg by sound is second nature to me. With the CTX I started by using 5 tones and dug all targets that sounded good, I eventually got used to the numbers and started using them to my advantage to isolate targets I recognised as good. I'm doing the same with the nox now, goldies for instance with the nox are about as easy as on tbe CTX, you get a few other things like aluminum screw caps and stuff fool you but it's still easy to pick them using the ID numbers as well as audio response.

I started using 50 tones on the CTX and started to rely less on the ID's, though definitely still used the ID's. I'll do tbe same on the Nox when I get a bit more used to it. As for hunting just by audio I don't think I will, I'm sure I'll use both, I try to dig as little junk as possible and I reckon ID's help a lot with maming a decision to.leave targets that are likely junk or maybe get them next time. The CTX has target trace as well as a third layer of discrim or target checking. I'm sure I'll always use all options mate but will always be audio as the main target selector.

Do you use the ID's on the Deus?

Heatho said:
Good question GP, to be honest I've never been one to just rely on TID's, I really started detecting with the aldi and the way to use that was purely with the audio, also my background is audio engineering so detectimg by sound is second nature to me. With the CTX I started by using 5 tones and dug all targets that sounded good, I eventually got used to the numbers and started using them to my advantage to isolate targets I recognised as good. I'm doing the same with the nox now, goldies for instance with the nox are about as easy as on tbe CTX, you get a few other things like aluminum screw caps and stuff fool you but it's still easy to pick them using the ID numbers as well as audio response.

I started using 50 tones on the CTX and started to rely less on the ID's, though definitely still used the ID's. I'll do tbe same on the Nox when I get a bit more used to it. As for hunting just by audio I don't think I will, I'm sure I'll use both, I try to dig as little junk as possible and I reckon ID's help a lot with maming a decision to.leave targets that are likely junk or maybe get them next time. The CTX has target trace as well as a third layer of discrim or target checking. I'm sure I'll always use all options mate but will always be audio as the main target selector.

I have a fleeting glance at the screen every now and again, but as a rule detect with just tones - I never allow TID's to dictate on whether to dig or not. Why, older sites that I regularly detect offer too many influencing factors that will render TID's useless (junk/prolific iron, depth etc). Either way, with relic detecting you should be digging all non-ferrous targets - high conductors are coming out of the ground regardless of ID.

If detecting for spendables, I just use notching and dig anything that falls within the selected ranges - no real need to look at the screen if you know what to listen for.

Heatho said:
Hit another one of my trashiest spots today at the ol silver honey hole.... It didn't disappoint. Got off to a slow start working my way over to an area where I've found a lot of silvers in the past, once I hit a couple they just kept coming.

This is the last time I'm going to compare the Nox and CTX as there really is no point, it's like comparing the SDC2300 to the GPX5000, they are both great detectors but are totally different.

A few of these silvers were very deep at around 25cm, a couple were also among quite a few pieces of other trash, one was in among 3 large nails that came out of the hole first... They were by no means discrete good tones either a couple just gave the most subtle peep of a good target which required further investigation, they needed numerous swings over the area that gave the peep to isolate a good target.

Was all in all a good hunt and I'm really starting to get a great feel for the Nox.

Ha, only just noticed the 5c coin omong the sixies, lol. Was wondering how I ended up with 9 silvers...... :)

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/487/1522126887_img_20180327_154822.jpg
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/487/1522126888_img_20180327_154835.jpg
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/487/1522126888_img_20180327_154843.jpg

Ok, NOX is great machine! But It looks like balance is not so good by looking at straight shaft. I know CTX is heavier but looks good to hold for a long time. What is your opinion on that? Thanks!

Goldpick said:
Heatho said:

I have a fleeting glance at the screen every now and again, but as a rule detect with just tones - I never allow TID's to dictate on whether to dig or not. Why, older sites that I regularly detect offer too many influencing factors that will render TID's useless (junk/prolific iron, depth etc). Either way, with relic detecting you should be digging all non-ferrous targets - high conductors are coming out of the ground regardless of ID.

If detecting for spendables, I just use notching and dig anything that falls within the selected ranges - no real need to look at the screen if you know what to listen for.

Yeah I dig all of the high conductors as well, some of the spots I've been doing have so much trash that it really would be impossible to recover every single target though without destroying the field.

It's interesting to know others perspectives on detecting for sure.

caparobertsan said:
Heatho said:
Hit another one of my trashiest spots today at the ol silver honey hole.... It didn't disappoint. Got off to a slow start working my way over to an area where I've found a lot of silvers in the past, once I hit a couple they just kept coming.

This is the last time I'm going to compare the Nox and CTX as there really is no point, it's like comparing the SDC2300 to the GPX5000, they are both great detectors but are totally different.

A few of these silvers were very deep at around 25cm, a couple were also among quite a few pieces of other trash, one was in among 3 large nails that came out of the hole first... They were by no means discrete good tones either a couple just gave the most subtle peep of a good target which required further investigation, they needed numerous swings over the area that gave the peep to isolate a good target.

Was all in all a good hunt and I'm really starting to get a great feel for the Nox.

Ha, only just noticed the 5c coin omong the sixies, lol. Was wondering how I ended up with 9 silvers...... :)

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/487/1522126887_img_20180327_154822.jpg
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/487/1522126888_img_20180327_154835.jpg
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/487/1522126888_img_20180327_154843.jpg

Ok, NOX is great machine! But It looks like balance is not so good by looking at straight shaft. I know CTX is heavier but looks good to hold for a long time. What is your opinion on that? Thanks!

Hey Capa, the Nox is a bit nose heavy but you really don't notice it after a while, the CTX is very well balanced but put the 17 inch coil on and it becomes very heavy on the front, can take many sessions to build up the required muscles to make it easier. :)

Syndyne said:
Nice to see quite a few coins coming to light, particularly the goldies!

Might have to nickname it Goldie Nox! :lol:

Looking forward to seeing this thread grow, Heatho :Y:

Well Heatho will be baby bear
who is going to be mama and poppa bear

Couple of hours at the honey hole again this morning. Might hit the beach next hunt.

1522388205_img_20180330_145638.jpg

1522388205_img_20180330_145702.jpg

Hit the beach for a swing with the Nox today and realise that I've been very spoilt by beach hunting with the CTX. Going from a detector that can ignore nearly every single beer bottle cap to one that can't is a difficult exercise. I wasn't going to compare the 2 again but really had to after a beach hunt. Having the misfortune of having to retrieve a beer bottle cap with the CTX is a very rare occurence with the standard discrim pattern, trying to discrim out bottle tops with the Nox is next to impossible. It gives a few hints such as a jumpy response and a pop sort of sound jumping between the ID's and tones but really it is nearly impossible to do.

So if you own a CTX and your feeling left out by not having a Nox for beach detecting then don't be so hard on yourself, you already own the best beach treasure detector money can buy. :)

1522469865_img_20180331_145013.jpg

1522469866_img_20180331_145029.jpg

Still a nice total their Heatho . Thats a pretty trashy beach you got their . But true words spoken about the differences between the Nox and ctx when it comes to discrimination and avoiding the bottle tops and beer tops

Well done on the coins Heatho, if your not finding bottle tops your sure to find pull tabs, where I live anyway. :Y:

Cheers
Kev

Latest posts