2.7ct uncut parti color sapphire: is it worth being cut?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FossiKing

Mark
Reaction score
Hey guys, First time user long time reader of this forum so sorry in advance if I get any of the rules and lingo wrong...

Found this beautiful 2.7ct blue/green parti color sapphire, I wanted some advice as to whether it is worth/able to be cut or not.

Took it to a local jeweler and they advised id be lucky to end up with 0.3 of a carat after cutting which I thought was a bit extreme.

any advice/opinion would be great!

Cheers.

1522052163_15c5cc4aa-948f-4998-9607-f38bee3eb200.jpg

A lot will depend on the shape of the rough, if it's well shaped you might get a stone of around 1 - 1.5ct based on a 60% loss rate, which if its got good clarity will end up being something nice.

I'm only learning Faceting right now, but there are some top notch cutters in this group who will be able to give you a better and more accurate opinion than me. First thing will be to try and get a good photo, maybe on a mirror with a good light and a light spray with a bit of water and meths, tricky I know if you don't have a macro lens, but a lot of phone cameras can get pretty close to the subject now, so give it a try then crop. Also try taking several pics at different angles to the light and see what looks the best then bang it up here for all to see. :eek:

Hi Dihusky,

thanks for the advice i will endeavor to take some more photos tomorrow after work and make sure to get many angles so that the shape of the stone is clear, ill post them up on here and hopefully we can go from there.

a 1.5 carat cut stone would be unbelievable, so fingers crossed it can yield something along those lines.

thanks again for your input.

Hi FossiKing depends on shape ,inclusions like cracks etc the average return is about 1/3 of total weight this can be increased if shape is in your favour like a dogtooth sapphire.
Dave

Looks good from this angle,

where are you located ? You might be lucky enough to have one of our cutters living around the corner and happy to take a closer look.

It certainly is a good colour shade in that it wouldn't turn out over-dark if faceted. Exactly how much it might return would probably require first-hand inspection but as others have mentioned, a third is roughly average.

so I managed to take a couple of extra photos of this stone on a mirror sitting in natural morning sunlight.(hopefully this is an appropriate light source).

The photos were taken with an 8mp camera and x30 eye loupe held over the lens. Then compressed from 16mb to 1.9mb, sorry in advance for the average quality.

1522111162_img_20180327_104115.jpg

1522111163_img_20180327_104412.jpg

1522111164_img_20180327_104435.jpg

1522111165_img_20180327_104515.jpg

1522111166_img_20180327_105011.jpg

1522111166_img_20180327_110018.jpg

From what I can see there are 2 bits on the edges of the stone that will need to be broken off, considering its shape, I was thinking a cabochon would suit it best..?

I am from the Penrith area Wally, let me know what you guys think.

Looks like it has some good clear zoning on the inside but it will not be a high yielding stone if you want to avoid all the inclusions.

If you are thinking cabbing as a compromise, I will suggest that you could get it cut for maximum yield and put up with some inclusions. You will get the reflective benefits from a properly angled stone to bring out the colour and brilliance along with maximum bling size.

The risk is the stone may split during polishing and that an inclusion might just be in the wrong spot. If that happens it can be cut again with the obvious loss in yield.

If you wanted to clean up the stone in free-form yourself, a diamond coated Dremel tool and polishes could be an option.

I work in North Sydney, happy to take a look if you find yourself across this way.