Heatho's Equinox Madness 2018

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Got my Nox this afternoon which Nenad sent me on Tuesday, came pretty quick through Australia post.

Got it setup and charged and wandered up to my local oval for a test swing. Firstly I will say that it is no CTX, the CTX discrimination is fantastic and miles ahead. Still not sure either whether the Nox will out gun the CTX in trashy ground but I will give it a better go on some areas I have flogged with the CTX which are very trashy and have produced lots of goldies and silvers. I'll have to play with the recovery, iron bias and other settings to really give a proper opinion on it over the next few weeks.

That being said though I really like it, it's very light as mentioned a lot, it is fast but I'm still not sure how fast to be honest. It's very sensitive to small coins, I found numerous 1c coins on this test run which says to me it will be great on small silver coins too. I gave it a test in prospecting mode inside my house with a few small gold nuggets and it pings them with ease from a decent distance.

All in all so far I reckon it's a great detector for the money spent and will pay itself off in no time as it will be great for cherry picking goldies. Being fully waterproof is a big bonus and it sort of reminds me of a swiss army knife. :)

Anyway here's the treasure from my first hour and a bit with it. I got plenty of junk too, though always do even with the CTX as well.

1521795182_img_20180323_192540.jpg

1521795182_img_20180323_192551.jpg

Would'a been crazy if'n it'd been a 23 Heatho !
:Y: O:) :Y:

Nice mate..got mine charging now..cant wait to give it a run over all the xterra hunted out ground..must say it's not as sturdy as the 705 and a lot heavier than I expected.But the set up is not as complicated as I was expecting either :Y:

Awesome Heatho. Great to hear an unbiased review from someone with your knowledge of the CTX. I will follow this thread with interest to see your thoughts as you gain more experience with the Nox. ;)

The rate things are going it will be an all Equinox forum before long! :lol: Heatho, I think your body will thank you for a much lighter machine, hope it brings in the goods.

Nice going heatho, I dont see cherry picking goldies as one of its strengths though...too much else falls in the 20-22s. keen to learn any technique/setting tips along the way though...at the moment I couldnt confidently go to a delicate area and say id only dig dollar coins...the Deus I 99% could...not on this bad boy yet - Confident itll pay for itself in spades though:) I wonder if you were to discriminate out all but the 20-22s to focus on goldies then would one pgm be more powerful/give more depth/clearer individual sound...

Hey Silver, yes I 100% agree, woulda been great, better luck next time.

Smoky, hope it works as well for you as the exterra, hopefully you can extract some more silver from the sand pit.

Will keep a good running update on it all Rod, it is a completely different beast to the CTX and I do mean that in a good way, both are great detectors.

I think you're right there GP, I do like the weight, wish the CTX was the same, I'll still use the CTX a lot too though. The forum does seem to have a massive Equinox population now, lol.

I reckon you could set up a goldies only program Stru, it does hit very hard on them and I'm already hgetting a decent feel for the way goldies make the detector react, maybe it's not as accurate as the Deus (I've never used one) but once you get a feel for the Nox I reckon goldies will be very easy to pick. Of course there will still be nuisance targets that come up the same TID but that's just part of it which we all know.

Anyway am going to one of my trashy spots this morning, took another fall on Friday night, had a bit of a wobbly boot and sprained my ankle pretty bad, just glad I still bounce pretty good... :) Will post finds this arvo.

The results from todays hunt, 10 of the penny's and half pennys were in 1 coin spill, my biggest pre dec coin spill. Ramjet and Rocket have detected this spot with me in the past and they know just how much trash is there, it is a shocker but there are plenty of pre dec there. Rocket got I think an 8 penny coin spill near where I got this one. Oldest coin was a 1901 penny.

One thing for sure about the Nox, it's a BB magnet.

1521952012_img_20180325_150519.jpg

1521952012_img_20180325_150537.jpg

1521952012_img_20180325_150557.jpg

1521952368_img_20180325_150610.jpg

1521952368_img_20180325_151736.jpg

Looks like you've got the hang of it pretty quickly, do you think they were missed in the past by all of you, or never walked over?

Nice hunt Heath, you are right on the BB magnet comment, been pulling clear-as-bell 1c pieces out from my old 705 hunting grounds myself. Think it is an indicator of the higher frequency picking them out from the trash.

Am surprised I havnt pulled similar numbers of thrippys out, I am not complaining though, I have pulled numerous deep florins out instead :D

Wally69 said:
Nice hunt Heath, you are right on the BB magnet comment, been pulling clear-as-bell 1c pieces out from my old 705 hunting grounds myself. Think it is an indicator of the higher frequency picking them out from the trash.

Am surprised I havnt pulled similar numbers of thrippys out, I am not complaining though, I have pulled numerous deep florins out instead :D

Mmmm florins..... :D Yeah well you know how many BB's are at that honey hole, and I was leaving most of them with the CTX, oh well still silvers amongst them though.

Can't believe how hard it hits the 1c coins, so loud and very sweet sounding targets on the Nox. Hmmm now I need some florries. :D

ktmman said:
Looks like you've got the hang of it pretty quickly, do you think they were missed in the past by all of you, or never walked over?

Not sure mate, I have detected this spot numerous times and sure I would have gone over these before but it's possible I just missed them or discounted them as junk. One was right next to some junk, so it could have previously given a bit of a mixed signal on the CTX.

Hit another one of my trashiest spots today at the ol silver honey hole.... It didn't disappoint. Got off to a slow start working my way over to an area where I've found a lot of silvers in the past, once I hit a couple they just kept coming.

This is the last time I'm going to compare the Nox and CTX as there really is no point, it's like comparing the SDC2300 to the GPX5000, they are both great detectors but are totally different.

A few of these silvers were very deep at around 25cm, a couple were also among quite a few pieces of other trash, one was in among 3 large nails that came out of the hole first... They were by no means discrete good tones either a couple just gave the most subtle peep of a good target which required further investigation, they needed numerous swings over the area that gave the peep to isolate a good target.

Was all in all a good hunt and I'm really starting to get a great feel for the Nox.

Ha, only just noticed the 5c coin omong the sixies, lol. Was wondering how I ended up with 9 silvers...... :)

1522126887_img_20180327_154822.jpg

1522126888_img_20180327_154835.jpg

1522126888_img_20180327_154843.jpg

Great result on the silvers Heatho, not bad for a detector that is supposedly a little more biased towards low conductors compared to the FBS detectors. Looks like the higher recovery speeds might be picking out those previously masked coins. :Y:

Well done.
I noticed the same thing. Some deep signals are not obvious, but you get a high blip like you said, just enough to tell you to investigate amongst some lower tones.
20cm later, and 3 nails later, still getting a signal. And sure enough, it wasn't wrong. Signal clears up a fraction as dirt and nails are removed, but because of depth, still nothing booming. I think I spend about 15 min on my hole. lol

Latest posts