Any thoughts on the following rocks?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
1521509615_img_3950.jpg

Hi all,

I was out the other day and came across some quartz that was broken up in bits (as shown) on either side of a vein of unusual rock (the middle piece with the orange on it) standing vertically.

The vein of rock is dark on both sides and kind of translucent through the middle.God knows how deep it goes down or how far it runs. Visibly it pops up its head in a line over several meters.

It was the quartz i was looking at and then came across the vein of something. Its a 3hour walkin(one way) over steep mountains so am wondering whether its worth taking up more equipment.

Any thoughts as to identity and whether more digging around is warranted would be great.

Its snake city up there so thats a concern too! hehehhehe

Thank you in advance.

Stu

G'Day Stu

Almost all gold occurs with quartz but most quartz does not contain gold. Best thing to do before trekking back in to dolly it up finely and pan it off. Are there any known deposits in the area?

Araluen

Gday mate.

I am about to attack it now. It was the combination of quartz and whatever that other stuff is that interested me. The"other stuff" is kind of like a shale. The fact it stands up vertically also interested me.

As to known deposits, no Araluen nothing known in the area. I tend to head off into virgin territories mostly. I had seen pinkish quartz in this area before but came across this stuff on my way and ran out of time to get to where i was originally going.

Too many snakes in summer but i couldnt resist in the end.

Snakes Alive!!!. Same up hear. Nearly trod on a tiger the other day down at Reedy and browns all over the mountains. Went straight over to Elks in Albury when I got back to town and got me some snake gators. Well worth the peace of mind.

Araluen

Anyone see value in following up in the same area? I broke a few up and they are all crystaliine with orange and yellow running through the quartz.

1522648836_img_3955.jpg

1522648837_img_3956.jpg

As the saying goes .... You will never know until you have a go.... But looking at what you posted i reckon you may be disappointed. But there again you just never know. :Y:

Thanks fellas. Its interesting stuff.

I hiked well over 300meters above start point, walked down the other side of a saddle, came to a flat spot where there was granite and quartz. First incidence of quartz. None the other side of the saddle. The saddle was a good number of meters below the peak. When you find orange in quartz it makes me wonder. Worth another hike up battling with the snakes. That was the easy to locate quartz. Is there more and prehaps better quartz among the deep grass and granite?

Anyway thank you for the replies. I shall smack the crap out of what i have and see. Perhaps someone dropped an orange a few million years ago on some silica! :)

I mean of course 300meters in height. Distance was a number of kms.

Looks like a slight iron staining in the cracked quartz matrix

Look out for fault lines crossing the reef creating anomalies where lots of mineralisation will generally accumulate.

I am not saying gold won't form in a nice lump of quartz, but is more likely to form in a location that has been disrupted by multiple geological events.

Good luck, and enjoy the hunt :Y:

Thanks Wally!

I agree, it looks like iron stains. Interesting, but worthy of further pursuit?

I wasnt able to locate the reef. What interested me was the elevation. Nothing in the creeks but quartz up high on the saddle. hmmm anyway, thanks again for the input.

Once there are less snakes, out i go again.

Latest posts