Make money prospecting

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Moneybox,
Great to read about your successful trip to the Pilbara!
That rocks you've got is called 'Orbicular Granite' and it's pretty rare. From memory it only occurs at 7-8 locations in the world. One is on Boogardie Station just west of Mt Magnet. They had a quarry there for a while but too many dickheads used to go in and blow up the rock and steal it, fracturing what was nearby so they couldn't pull out large chunks for table tops like you wrote.
It's pretty damn nice and the rotating ball in Forrest Chase is a great example of its beauty.

Op

I was thinking the same this morning.
Thought maybe he is rowing over from China and we will hear more when he gets to darwin

Moneybox said:
I think it depends on your location. We'd prefer to look for gold but the closest is 1,000 km up the road and nearly 2,000 km to where we prefer to look. We also look for bottles. This time we found a rare one but we still don't know the value. Mrs M displayed it on the treasure hunting site but the administrator removed it saying that she would be inundated with inquiries and offers to purchase. That's what she was hoping for :)

Some rare bottles can bring thousands of dollars so could eclipse a good nugget that of course is just as rare :rolleyes:

If you're prospecting for money you're likely to come home disappointed :eek:

If there's such a thing as a rare rock then we have one.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/3960/1512266851_orbicular_granite.jpg

This almost spherical rock will cut like the one on the right. Granite impregnated with hornblende. But once again it may not be worth much in $ value but fun to find, cut and polish.

Nice find of what I used to call Moss Agate. :lol: :lol: :)

Come on guys,

There is money to be made from prospecting. I remember one of my early trips with a nephew. We decided to work our way though some wild scrub to get to a remote section of a creek. Panned all day and produced some wonderful colour. We both had a ball. Took the gold home and weighed it up and performed a few calculations. I shouldnt brag but I will. We worked for 20 cents per hour. (Figures were actually rounded up to improve the story) I know there will be pressure to release the location but my lips are sealed. The grin on my wifes face on that day was priceless. She was obviously overwhelmed and so proud that the two men in the house were able to put bread on the table. (At least a small loaf)

Cheers

Les

Lesgold said:
Come on guys,

There is money to be made from prospecting. I remember one of my early trips with a nephew. We decided to work our way though some wild scrub to get to a remote section of a creek. Panned all day and produced some wonderful colour. We both had a ball. Took the gold home and weighed it up and performed a few calculations. I shouldnt brag but I will. We worked for 20 cents per hour. (Figures were actually rounded up to improve the story) I know there will be pressure to release the location but my lips are sealed. The grin on my wifes face on that day was priceless. She was obviously overwhelmed and so proud that the two men in the house were able to put bread on the table. (At least a small loaf)

Cheers

Les
:lol: :lol: That GOLD right there :lol: :lol:

I'm new to the forum and prospecting but remember meeting a mate-of-a-mate some 15 years ago who'd dropped in for a coffee - he had a single cab hilux with a canvas canopy accompanied by the usual 4x4 accessories like a hi lift jack, decent bar etc.

Before he left he opened up the back of the canvas on his lux, it was obvious that he'd been on the road for some time given the gear and dust in the back - on departure I said to my mate Bruce: 'What does he do?'... Bruce stated that he was a sparky but had gone prospecting two odd years ago, he added that he did it full time (5 days a week) and made enough cash to live well and happy while detecting.

I don't know the man, but I know he hunted dear the same way in the Vic High Country and lived off what he hunted so he wasn't afraid of doing it tough and alone.

The struggles are many - can you leave, be alone, live rough and go without? Most people have way to many commitments that put an end to starting something as wild as living wild.

Funny you brought up Golf Balls, I used to live almost on a course in Newcastle in my 20's and played at least 3 times a week. The 7th green was just behind the house and with permission I would hunt for wayward balls in my spare time, sell them back to the pro shop for credit. Some that I would recover had been hit once or twice before being lost and could be $6-7 balls right out of the box and were more than fine for even a better than average golfer. Some of the lesser quality ones were ok for chipping and putting practice.
I was able to save up enough store credit to walk away with a brand new custom full set of Ping Eye 2 irons and Titleist 975D drivers, Ping bag and push cart and accessories, and a few dozen of the best balls I had put away for myself. I used to hit off roughly 3-6 (at most 10 if I was not playing/practicing) and scratch on my home town course, I knew all the secrets there....people would look at me strange doing tricks like teeing off towards the highway deliberately drawing the ball out of bounds over traffic and around trees to put the ball on the green on a par 4 or teeing up high and then driving with a 5 wood to go over the top of a stand of pine trees onto the green on a dogleg par 4.

Latest posts