Knee problems

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After weighing all arguments I seem to be leaning towards big waves idea of learning to live with it and modifying the way I detect. The interference when its near my left leg I should be able to identify with its regularity. I will have to keep ground balance in fixed because in tracking it does want track my knee. Thank you all for your input. Regards Ray&Lips.

Correct path mate. For most of my coils I'm OK with it.
For my 4500 and the 17*13 Evo, I have to be extra cautious.
Nothing bigger than that for me though, but I can live with that :)
PS: I heard from Coiltek just after my op that a guy hiring a GPZ complained that it wouldn't ground balance and he wanted a refund.
Said he knew the machine. Turned out that he'd had 2 knee replacements :D

Howdy Ray and Lips, just wondering how you're getting on with modifying the way you detect or if you found anything else that helps.
Cheers Flowerpot

Thanks for your interest flowerpot,I have been doing research on faraday cage. Can buy online for $40 for 30cm sounds interesting. At the moment have not had any time to go out with detector. Going to qld Wednesday for a month to work at commonwealth games, no rest for the oldies prepared to work. Will be home a month then off to wa for three months to test my detecting abilities out. Ray and Lips

Please keep us informed of this issue. I've had two replacements last year and detecting was on my bucket list.

A Faraday cage (conductive shield) will shield your knee from electrical signals, but again, (I've said this over and over) it will cause even worse effects on the detector than your knee alone.
Everyone here seems to be thinking of shielding your knee, but adding that extra material impacts the detector more!!!!!!!
Get real folks. Why haven't Minelab or others done it if it's possible?
Me, I'm just an Electronics Engineer with over 40 years in electronics, RF Engineering and radio propagation (satellite and terrestrial). I have worked EMI/EMC with anechoic chambers for years and have presented many papers at conferences. WTF would I know about reducing the effects on my 4500!!!!!
Just learn to live with it - or - dream on.

BigWave said:
A Faraday cage (conductive shield) will shield your knee from electrical signals, but again, (I've said this over and over) it will cause even worse effects on the detector than your knee alone.
Everyone here seems to be thinking of shielding your knee, but adding that extra material impacts the detector more!!!!!!!
Get real folks. Why haven't Minelab or others done it if it's possible?
Me, I'm just an Electronics Engineer with over 40 years in electronics, RF Engineering and radio propagation (satellite and terrestrial). I have worked EMI/EMC with anechoic chambers for years and have presented many papers. WTF would I know about shielding my titanium knee!!!!!
Just learn to live with it - or - dream on.
I vouch for what he has said
i know the man and the job he does
if he said it cant be done then it cant

Ray and Lips said:
Thanks for your interest flowerpot,I have been doing research on faraday cage. Can buy online for $40 for 30cm sounds interesting. At the moment have not had any time to go out with detector. Going to qld Wednesday for a month to work at commonwealth games, no rest for the oldies prepared to work. Will be home a month then off to wa for three months to test my detecting abilities out. Ray and Lips
Gee you certainly keep busy Ray, that sounds like a great experience to be had in Qld and then W.A.
Seems there is really no stopping you. :Y:
All the best with whichever way you proceed :D
Flowerpot

Hello weedyau,I would just buy a detector and work out the best way to use it. I did have a sdc2300 and it did not seem to be bothered by my knee issues. Maybe go and hire different detectors first and see which suits. I will send a post on how everything went when I come back from WA in August, yours Ray and Lips

Ray and Lips update on Commonwealth games. Been working for three weeks up here have met lots of athletes. I am driving them to their events. Four more days to go including the closing ceremony then head back to the big V on Monday. Long hours starting to catch up on me, thank god for whiskey

Yep have to agree... Best Games ever.... No Traffic, No Crowds, No Cops around, Shopping Centres Empty, Food places Empty, No crap walking around the streets and No Home and Away :lol: ........ Best Games ever... on my tv... :Y: ;) :lol: ]:D :p

Oh and cost us Million$ to have.... :cool:

LW...

I am staying inn Southport and being a naive country boy , I decided to go for a walk after dark, big mistake. Confronted by a group of teenagers who wanted my money I had to throw a couple of punches. I kept my money but am called sugar Ray now. Lesson leant. Away from home for a month but earned enough for holiday for 3 months in WA. Head home Monday with buses, we will take 3 days this time to get home. Met some great people from all parts of the globe. Good experience for an old man. Ray & Lips, ps , Lips is still in Vic.

Very interesting thread for me , my knees are about 95 % knackered so i would like to investigate the options now for ceramic knee replacement , hopefully other options exist apart from titanium.... :/

Heads up, their soon will be a cure without doing replacement so I have read. How far away from initial testing I dont know,hope it is soon for you. In the mean time just grin and bare it.

Ray and Lips said:
Heads up, there soon will be a cure without doing replacement so I have read. How far away from initial testing I dont know,hope it is soon for you. In the mean time just grin and bare it.

I did grin and bare it but the neighbours told me to put my clothes back on.

Thanks for the HeadsUp on the developing sciences RL , hopefully it is something like a self adhesive synthetic cartilage that avoids the requirement and expense of putting big screws into my bones...

:)

HeadsUp said:
Very interesting thread for me , my knees are about 95 % knackered so i would like to investigate the options now for ceramic knee replacement , hopefully other options exist apart from titanium.... :/

Ceramic knees are available and are the way to go I have been informed but they come at a price. If you have a good health scheme you may be OK but the only way you will get a ceramic knee off Medicare is if you are 18 years old.

We ran into a couple of blokes that were new to detecting last year. The guy swinging the GPX5000 had had a knee replacement also and didn't know it was affecting the detector until I pointed it out (we all had a good chuckle about it). They'd been walking around digging dozens and dozens of disappearing signals for over half a day!

After a brief introduction, I then set him up correctly to simply swing further left and away from the offending metal right knee and adjust his stride to keep that knee back while swinging to that side. He was using the 11" Commander Mono.

So as said above by BigWave and a few others here there are plenty of options! You can add the longer shaft, or try a smaller coil, but overall a simple swing adjustment is the 'easiest' procedure here.

If I could add a further bit of insight to make life easier it would be to incorporate a Hip Stick or Fibreglass-reinforced Harness (The Minelab Pro Swing type) to alleviate any back or shoulder strain that may come from swinging more to one side. Keep the Hip Stick etc. on the side you're swinging out further towards (opposite side to the metal knee).

All the best with it and I hope you get to live the dream Ray! :Y:
Kindest regards,
Shauno.

Thanks Shauno,as soon as I get these games over with and get the buses back to Vic,I will be getting the van and car ready and leave mid May for WA. Thats the only time I will get to practice my new swing. Seems to be the only way to overcome the problem. An sdc2300 was not affected by the knee maybe because of the smaller coil. My problems began when I upgraded to a gpx4500 with the 11 inch coil. Well it be an experience, thanks for your feedback mate. Ray & Lips

Latest posts