Minelab Equinox tips and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't have bubble on my LCD protector, I just reused the original one that came with it and put it over the English Protector sheet. Protecting the protector. :Y:

And one thing that not many have commented on, but the skid plate is marvellous. It is very easy to remove and clean, but most of all, the etched surface keeps the scratches away very well. Love it. Another brownie point for Minelab.

And I couldn't agree more Flowerpot, the whole process from Purchase to the Field was flawless. I expect the price of some competitors machines to be dropping within the next 6mths.

The shaft lock could probably have been a bit more snug. It has the slightest twist on it if you move it , but nothing that is a real problem. :Y:

Looking good fellas.

Ok, one thing I should mention for this thread is.... Laying the coil flat and putting strain on the cable where it goes into the coil is not a good idea, I don't know if ML have fixed the coil cable bendy stressy issue but I had my 11 inch CTX coil fail within 6 months of purchase by doing that.

ML sent me a new coil under warranty, though I did chat to a staff member there who said that the coil bolt should be tight to stop the coil moving too much and laying flat. Total PITA I know but it is very relevant.

They said they will always replace anything under warranty but said when you run out of warranty the cost of a new coil is always expensive.

I make sure I have slack to have the coil flat, that way when I do move the coil, it doesn't move on the connection itself, but rather takes up the extra slack.
I also recommend using the Velcro straps, but being very weary of where you put them. Right place, it will work well, wrong place, you could place undue stress on the cable.

I had some issues with the Makro Gold Racer coil connection, but apparently they all had issues and had a revised coil with stronger ears as well.

I definitely agree with Heatho, be very careful not to put strain on the cable, on any detector.

Hopefully the Nox is a bit more forgiving than the CTX, the CTX cable does run up the inside of the shaft and where it inserts at the end makes a pretty sharp angle with the cable. The Nox having the cable running up the exterior of the shaft should be a bit more easy on it.

Yeah, that makes sense.

I lay the ZED flat all the time out in the fields. I guess that is why Minelab has that cable where the shaft is, with a reinforced bendable connection. And I have never heard of any problems, unless you went past flat, then that is just silly.

Maybe the design of the CTX coils doesn't allow for the connection to be mounted where the shaft is. Not sure

I actually have all my detectors standing up when not using them.

Plus the CTX's coil cable is under tension from the coil in the wire Heath.

Really starting to get used to the NOX now, one thing it does better than the CTX is tone. Even low in the conductivity you can get a nice clean sharp tone on small round objects and you really get a good idea of the size of the target by tone too. It bangs 3 pences better than the CTX on both modern and the 90%ters and finding lots of smaller targets on a site I have really cleaned out with the CTX. I really don't know how they have put this machine in a light and $1300 body, bravo Minelab.

Everybody buy up big on the Equinox's so they can put that money into a new Z please.

I tried to buy one of these local, but couldn't find anything close, so ordered one off ebay. Minelab should include one with purchase of a NOX.

1521349497_s-l1600.jpg

I bought this Coleman branded folding shovel from the camping store, to see if it outlives the cheap nasty $8 Kmart one. Seems legit and the guy said I could return it if it fails. At least it has the right colours.

1521349625_20180318_145815.jpg

PS. ZED and NOX are getting along real well. Hopefully ZED doesn't get jealous when we hit the goldfields. I will have to share myself. :D

Flowerpot said:
Hayyouinau, I've only had my Equinox 800 for a few days, it's ease of use is a winner for me. I had the headphones and nox charging, easy peasy, put it all together, easy peasy, downloaded the full manual and printed it, very simple to understand, easy peasy, paired the headphones and got started with ground balance, had a flick through the settings on the panel, easy to follow and understand, got going and found aluminium rubbish and jar lid and some roofing nails and a nice pendant, taking note of the ID numbers for reference, pinpointer is so easy to use and spot on too over the target. The sounds it makes are easy to listen too, (our dogs love it), it's light and I'm really rapt so far. :Y:

Can't wait to get mine, won't be long and we'll be giving the boys a run for their money!! ?

MrsBJ said:
Flowerpot said:
Hayyouinau, I've only had my Equinox 800 for a few days, it's ease of use is a winner for me. I had the headphones and nox charging, easy peasy, put it all together, easy peasy, downloaded the full manual and printed it, very simple to understand, easy peasy, paired the headphones and got started with ground balance, had a flick through the settings on the panel, easy to follow and understand, got going and found aluminium rubbish and jar lid and some roofing nails and a nice pendant, taking note of the ID numbers for reference, pinpointer is so easy to use and spot on too over the target. The sounds it makes are easy to listen too, (our dogs love it), it's light and I'm really rapt so far. :Y:

Can't wait to get mine, won't be long and we'll be giving the boys a run for their money!! ?

Game on :D :lol: :D

Mackka said:
Has anyone found soma yella with the 800. I may have missed it amongst all the coinage!
Mackka :/

Yella as in nuggets? If so, no. Only bit of jewellery.
Haven't gone looking for gold yet with it but from tests I done with my nuggets at home, it seems pretty capable.

Hi all. I was out on the beach on the weekend getting to know the Nox and was chatting to a forum member for a bit. The detector was upright in front of me in the sun. After the guy left I dug a target right where we were standing (a bullet head) when I looked at the screen...it had a large oval-shaped dark spot that took up a large portion of the screen. At first I thought it was due to my sunnies but when I took them off the dark area was still there. I also noticed that all the icons/pixels were showing, even the ones that weren't active. I moved into the shade of a tree and took off the control box cover...the screen was very hot. I thought I'd cooked it but after turning it off for a couple of minutes, letting it cool down in the shade, and restarting it, everything was back to normal...phew! I should have taken a photo but it was very glarey.

Latest posts