Yep,, Fridges Again ??

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
davent
I bought a internal external temperature gauge for my plastic engel. It has a wired probe that goes in the fridge/freezer for the temperature read out. Obviously you have to change temp. settings between summer and winter a bit but it takes the guess work out of it as you said.

Recently I asked a couple of mates the total number of fridges they have bought since they got into prospecting in early nineties.
One is on his fourth, no Engels.
The other on his fifth, no Engels.
That probably says it all, got the dreaded gold fever in the early 80's and have bought two Engels, 39L in the 80's, the second 80L combo in mid 2000's, both still going strong.
They only ever run on 12V, power supplied from 1 X 110AH mounted under tray of ute. Charging while driving, 64W solar fixed on roof and a 120W portable we plug in while detecting. If there is cloud cover, start the genny in the evening and charge via a 240V/12V 30amp charger.

My "Box of tricks" does it all.

RM Outback said:
Somethings not right I keep double posting :mad:.

After you type a post and try to submit it does it take ages to post it up so you then do it again and it gets double posted ? This has happened multiple times so lately I go preview then submit and then back to Forum and then to the topic to see if it has come up and most times it does appear.

Nightjar,

Not wanting to hijack this thread....
But I would like some more info on Your Box of Tricks....

Cheers Nanjim
Jim

I'm on my 3rd fridge, but only one "died" the old mobicool I bought for around $100 is still going, but I gave it away when I bought the primus.
My other one is the Engel eclipse, which is a pretty basic 39lt fridge.
I need 1 more. I think the new Waco CFX series is a lot better than the old ones. Nearly everyone here in the NT runs a fridge in their 4 x or boat.
There are good and bad reports from all of the brands including the newer Engels, which are now made in Thailand, that's also the metal body Engels.
In no real hurry for my 2nd fridge.

davent said:
I'm on my 3rd fridge, but only one "died" the old mobicool I bought for around $100 is still going, but I gave it away when I bought the primus.
My other one is the Engel eclipse, which is a pretty basic 39lt fridge.
I need 1 more. I think the new Waco CFX series is a lot better than the old ones. Nearly everyone here in the NT runs a fridge in their 4 x or boat.
There are good and bad reports from all of the brands including the newer Engels, which are now made in Thailand, that's also the metal body Engels.
In no real hurry for my 2nd fridge.

If your not in any hurry Dave save save save and buy a Trailblaza you won't regret it and I'll put money on it it'll see you out until you pass it on. Honestly I can't fault them I have no vested interest just experience over the last 30 years. The only expense I've had to shell out is for batteries (vehicle) the Trailblaza fridge's are top quality.

I found a Finch fridge on hard waste a year or so ago. It's got to be 30 years old and still works a treat (although it is orange). Maybe not as good as today's finite temperature control compressor units, though I doubt this one will ever stop working.
It is keeping me in the bush for longer.

Well, I've been e mailing Companion (distributors of Primus fridges) trying to source a part for my 60lt polar fridge, and the part is Unobtainable!
6 year old fridge $1100 goneeee.
It was good when it worked, but seems that if parts are not get able, I would caution anyone from buying any Primus or companion fridges. :N:

davent said:
Well, I've been e mailing Companion (distributors of Primus fridges) trying to source a part for my 60lt polar fridge, and the part is Unobtainable!
It was good when it worked, but seems that if parts are not get able, I would caution anyone from buying any Primus or companion fridges. :N:

Steer your research toward consumer affairs regulations Dave pretty sure there's laws to protect the purchaser against this behaviour. From memory manufacturer's are required by law to make available serviceable part's of a serviceable items for upto 7 years after the item is made obsolete, it was the case many years ago. If it still applies you might have a case to have it replaced or a financial settlement.

davent said:

Unobtainable from them , cause they are no more ..?

What is the part , if it has any numbers on the item , google it ..?

Maybe another brand uses the same item

I've been e mailing them, they replied saying they have been trying to find parts O/S to no avail.
I asked if there was anything they could offer!
Like a discounted replacement fridge, and got a no back.
So stuff em!
I would stay away from their products.

Latest posts