Box of tricks.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nightjar

Contributor Plus
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nanjim,
You asked for more info on the box of tricks. Don't know where to start?
It has evolved over 20+ years, first photo was when I had a battery in a box under the electrics and carried it the back of my Nissan shortie.

When I got my ute in 2002 I modified the set up, mounted a battery under the tray.
This battery charges from alternator while driving and solar panels when parked up or battery charger if and when the generator is run.
At the end of the day the 3 X GPX-4500, 4 X SDC2300, 2X Garmin Rino battery's recharge off the 12V.
There is a 240/12V charger and 600W inverter included.

Feel free to ask specific questions.

Looks the goods nightjar. How is it running from the solar panels and what solar charger have you used?

Shakergt, a PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) regulates the 64W solar permanently on roof of ute.
A MPPT (Maximum Power Point Tracker) controller not shown in this photo (will try and find one) regulates the 120W dual solars wired in series connects to the box via an anderson plug when we park up and detect.

The 2017 version. (Was going to remove outdated photo but the "edit" button must disappear in time?) the latest upgrade has the SDC2300 charger included.
Also have two 60L water tanks under tray with a 12V pressure pump powered and fused through this box.
The box is bolted down on passenger side of tray, simple wiring job to battery under tray when preparing for next trip. All protected under canopy and easy access after rolling up flap.

Nightjar,

Ya! A Bloody legend.....
Thanks very much for posting ....
I have seen many photos of this rig and been trying to work out what was what ....
Now I have a much better idea of your box of tricks....
I have been collecting pieces to makes a similar type of box...
After my battery box bit the dust....

Thanks heaps......

Cheers Nanjim
Jim

It looks like you'd glow in the dark if you got too close :) I'm not going to show Mrs M because she'd want our mess tidied up by the time we leave next week :/

Nightjar,

What size battery are you running that you have the box of tricks attached to..
Also the size of the battery charger you use when charging from the gen set ....

Cheers Nanjim
Jim

Latest posts