SDC2300 aftermarket coil information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Prototype 10x5 ......

1515404561_20171221_160442.jpg

Has found a lot in a short time (ounces), incl a bigger nugget 2 feet down.

Release date as early as Feb, but could be in the latter part of the year.....

I'm informed that the prototype has found over 10 ozs and 300 pieces + so far.

Guts or not, it seems to be working, hell I'd be very happy with that haul.

The surface area of the std 8" coil is just over 50 sq in. The surface area of a 10 x 5 ellipse is just over 39 sq in, so in effect about 20% smaller than the stock coil.

condor22 said:
I'm informed that the prototype has found over 10 ozs and 300 pieces + so far.

Guts or not, it seems to be working, hell I'd be very happy with that haul.

The surface area of the std 8" coil is just over 50 sq in. The surface area of a 10 x 5 ellipse is just over 39 sq in, so in effect about 20% smaller than the stock coil.

Yes condor, I'm not doubting this coil but Dave is hoping for a bigger 14" x 9". That's a lot more coil and I doubt the SDC can do it.

is that because of the battery pack, power literally, or because of the MPF?

Davent, I think you nailed it on the head twice there, low amperage battery pack and mpf not designed to go deep.

I definitely agree with the more ground coverage improvements from a bigger coil, and elliptical would make sense so you could still nose it into tight spots. The weight of a bigger coil would be a negative. I don't find the SDC that well balanced, and a bigger coil could see the need for a bungy.

Wishfull said:
Nenad your thoughts on coil sizes for sdc ?

SDC already finds small enough targets for me. I don't want more sensitivity. More ground coverage and a tighter response would be my choice.
I have always wanted a 12x7", but that is based on what I know about that size on the GPX. On MPF it may be a different story, and too much Sens may be lost?

But any coil that I can just push down and it sits parallel with the ground will be a welcome addition. If this 10x5" comes out I will get one for myself, strap it on and hit every shallow spot I know hard!! If it can provide a tighter response on those borderline targets, and not sacrifice any depth on the slightly bigger bits, I can see it being a big winner.

Agree that it's already sensitive enough. I'm not too fussed about getting more ground coverage. What I'd like to see is a coil that would give it a bit more depth. I think they'd sell heaps of them if it's possible to do, surprised they haven't done it already. Something like a 10 or 11" round maybe? You'd get more depth and the extra ground coverage would be a bonus. Just a matter of if it's capable of running it. And yes a center mount like the GPX (and the photo above) would be better I think.

As far as i know there is no difference in the amount of power needed to run a 6 or 16 inch coil they both have the same impedance the smaller the coil the more turnes
But more ground coverage and a centre mount would be great
Jim

I have been in touch with Dean at the Dunolly Goldsearch shop - some readers have asked him if he is using my username.

Respectfully - To clarify, I am not Dean :)

He is the person testing the prototype coil, he sent me the picture of the coil I submitted in an earlier post. (I am no longer able to edit that post.)

However I did state in a previous post, that I would get in touch with him for details, so, please read the whole thread before making assumptions .........

Have had my SDC for over 3 years now and would love a bigger coil but only if it isn't at the expense of sensitivity as that is what makes the machine unique imho . A GPX 4500 and EVO now fills that void for me and consider them to be ideal stablemates .
As far as the centre mount I must be the odd one out , maybe because I detect mainly in heavily overgrown areas but I Much prefer the knuckle set up which allows you to push in and under foliage more effectively and would not like to lose that.

Cheers and good luck

Totally agree Bachus,

I've found several 0.01 gr nuggets with the 12x7 nugget finder on my 5000 (but lucky to have done so) and it's not an Evolution. I had a lengthy conversation with Dean today and his opinion is; "anything bigger than the stock coil or the little elliptical he's testing would lose sensitivity as bigger coils do with the 45/5000. The test coil is more sensitive than the stock, also in his opinion."

I guess if the 2300 is your only detector a bigger coil would be handy.

I've used a borrowed 2300 for a couple of days and found gold less than 10 minutes in, but am still to go out with my own 2300, still a few months off my next trip.

But eager to test it in the Adelaide Hills :) in the mean time.

1522964306_screenshot_2018-04-06-07-37-14.jpg

Looks like it's still under development with a 3rd generation prototype of similar specs being trialled, GPZ-style center mount and now a fully flat top coil. You can also see how the prototype coil attaches in this photo, you should be able to convert to this elliptical coil while still retaining the ability to go back to the factory round coil. What I don't know is how waterproof or how foldup this new setup will be, which were both major selling points for me buying the SDC in the first place.

If it is waterproof then this will be an awesome coil for back home in NZ where I find all my gold in and around shallow but very active creeks. Only 5" wide for the tight spots and a sharper response on the nose and tail of an elliptical coil.

Latest posts