Gold Nugget and Specimen Cleaning Advice

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Depends on what you're doing with it.

Keeping it....leave as is.

Selling to a refinery....leave as is.

Selling to a gold buyer...smash it, remove the quartz.

Selling on Ebay....Leave as is, talk up the beautiful exquisite quartz inclusions that contrast but compliment and bring out the lustrous gold tones that really enhance this piece and make it an ideal jewellery piece or a keepsake for years to come :D

Me? I'd smash it! :Y:

I agree with everyone, leave it as is. Looks like a beauty to me.

Personally i would alibrite it to clean it up a bit, i cant even see the quartz so it must not be much. You can always do that later down the track so leave it as is for a while and admire it :D

Gee MT,

With a spiel like that, you should become a politician. Prime minister Madtuna has a real ring to it. Probably wouldn't work out though. It appears as though you actually make plans and do stuff. This will not do....... so, sorry MT, "you're fired"

Cheers

Les

Yep, great piece, looks awesome as is.

Any dirty bits I just soak in coke for a couple of days, and then clean up with a toothbrush and a bit of Jif.

Ugly bits coated in ironstone or other rock get an acid bath. I use pool acid - available in 1L bottles from Bunnings.

Here's a few bits that were nearly totally covered, came up alright after a nice soak.

1503918229_acid_bath.jpg

Coke!!!!!

Looks like it does a great job on the nuggets. ( makes you wonder what it does to your gut) Thanks PT I'll try it next time I'm lucky enough to find some yellow.

Cheers

Les

Jewellery cleaner added hot water and about 20 mins in an ultrasonic cleaner gets em nice and bright

Latest posts