Prospecting / Miners pick information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hi all, does anyone know where i can buy a good miners pick?? have been to miners den but they dont have any at the moment & dont no when there new stock of walco picks are coming in.

Here you go, made by a member of this forum

the "Services Offered" section for members to view, also linked the ebay listing for you, good luck on the sales.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Little-Rippe SwyQtVpcuT
Hi Goldpick, Thanks for that tried to load pictures just got black squares i learn one day, plenty of picks available, Ron.

tigersrule said:
hi all, does anyone know where i can buy a good miners pick?? have been to miners den but they dont have any at the moment & dont no when there new stock of walco picks are coming in.

Gee that is odd

Try CC picks

http://www.ccpicks.com.au

He may not be able to sell to you direct , but I think he lives down the south east .?

I have an Estwing pick made from one piece forged steel. Had it for about 30 years. Also have an Estwing Prospectors/ Geological Hammer, same vintage with leather washer grip. Only had to replace the Tungsten tip once ( due to lack of use).
Mackka :lol: :lol:

Manpa said:
Here you go, made by a member of this forum

the "Services Offered" section for members to view, also linked the ebay listing for you, good luck on the sales.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Little-Rippe SwyQtVpcuT
Hi Goldpick, Thanks for that tried to load pictures just got black squares i learn one day, plenty of picks available, Ron.

We originally purchased a CC pick each but this is a far better pick and not much more than half the price. I usually carry a much smaller pick because most of our gold comes from near the surface but this is the pick I reach for if I need to dig.

I have notice there is a big price difference between miners picks and gardening picks.
Would a quality garden pick do the job for you?

If your using a detector stick with purpose made tools, poor quality steel peeling off during strikes can give a false signal. On the other hand your digging wet gold if it's of a decent quality I can't see why not.

What sort of Detector are you running Tigersrule?

The Walco's are okay. We use the smaller one (that came with the GPX5000 package back in the day) with the SDC still to this day. They are pretty light, but will need sharpening often. It's held up well overall. The short handle and lighter head makes digging anything deep fairly hard to do though.

I used a custom made pick from a Vic. prospector for a couple years with a 600mm handle and large spring steel head. It was a very heavy by most pick standards, but it had good balance. It wore away faster than I expected so last year I switched over to a new 750mm handle CC pick to dig with the GPZ and I have to say I really love it! Holding up really well so far.

If you can wait and just feel a few out you might get a longer lasting pick for your outlay. :Y:

One thing I will guarantee is that with enough determination, they will all dig a hole regardless of maker. :p
All the best,
Shauno.

Syndyne said:
What sort of Detector are you running Tigersrule?

The Walco's are okay. We use the smaller one (that came with the GPX5000 package back in the day) with the SDC still to this day. They are pretty light, but will need sharpening often. It's held up well overall. The short handle and lighter head makes digging anything deep fairly hard to do though.

I used a custom made pick from a Vic. prospector for a couple years with a 600mm handle and large spring steel head. It was a very heavy by most pick standards, but it had good balance. It wore away faster than I expected so last year I switched over to a new 750mm handle CC pick to dig with the GPZ and I have to say I really love it! Holding up really well so far.

If you can wait and just feel a few out you might get a longer lasting pick for your outlay. :Y:

One thing I will guarantee is that with enough determination, they will all dig a hole regardless of maker. :p
All the best,
Shauno.

A few blokes on the forum would suggest you use a hard facing electrode on your pick.

Wishfull said:
A few blokes on the forum would suggest you use a hard facing electrode on your pick.

It's funny you mention that, Wishfull. I said exactly the same thing to the old man last night after posting. Tungsten hard facing is commonly done here on the mining gear so it could pay to run a bead around the pick's edge?

For the price they ask for some of these picks you'd think it would be standard practice to hard face the point.

I'll ask around and see what I can come up with.
Cheers,
Shauno.

well there ya go . i hard faced mine when i made it a few weeks ago .. :Y: :Y:

johno

I think CC Picks are Bisalloy (sp?) so are pretty hard to begin with.

When choosing a pick, just keep in mind you want the pick to do the work not you work the pick

New to prospecting & have bought a gpx4500.
I need a proper miners pick to replace the one l bought from bunnings, a Hart brand with a 40cm plastic handle.
Considering the waco std with a 60cm handle, or the next size up?
Will mostly be used in victorian fields.
Any suggestions please?
Cheers

buy one from a prospecting shop they aren"t big and you use the side of it to scrape the top off

When i bought my 4500 a while back, i also bought the Walco pick and a few other things along with it and they threw in a few freebies .. Walco pick No 3 Handle Length: 520mm, Pick and Hoe Size: 280mm x 110mm x 5mm, Weight: 1140 grams.
Used it in the GT and when we went to W.A its easy to carry in a leather clip on the belt pick holder and easy to use swinging it one handed or with two hands.. its not the biggest but suits me fine.
The picks bigwave suggest are pretty good as well from what I have seen of them out bush.. quality material and robust construction.
What ever you do get, it has to be comfortable for you to carry and use.. ;)

Latest posts