Builders chalk

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Please Blackwolf....get yourself a GPS and LEARN how to use it.
Until you have been "turned around" in the bush you don't realise how easily and quickly it can happen.

The worst scenario is in flat scrubby country with no prominent land marks. If you are detecting, then your nose is usually pointing down, there are all sorts of obstacles you are on the lookout for. The last thing you want is "where is that last rock I put a cross on?" It could be 15 metres away, but on the opposite side where you cant see it.
Nothing else familiar to identify where you are.....on the way to being lost.

A map may not help you there either, you need a compass and reference points to determine and mark your starting point. No use knowing where you are if you don't know where you came from.
Mike

boobook said:
Please Blackwolf....get yourself a GPS and LEARN how to use it.
Until you have been "turned around" in the bush you don't realise how easily and quickly it can happen.

The worst scenario is in flat scrubby country with no prominent land marks. If you are detecting, then your nose is usually pointing down, there are all sorts of obstacles you are on the lookout for. The last thing you want is "where is that last rock I put a cross on?" It could be 15 metres away, but on the opposite side where you cant see it.
Nothing else familiar to identify where you are.....on the way to being lost.

A map may not help you there either, you need a compass and reference points to determine and mark your starting point. No use knowing where you are if you don't know where you came from.
Mike
Yep rock or tree's even..... marking trees on the way in is disaster waiting to happen cause they're all invisible (on the other side of the tree's) on the way back out.
Be safer with a 20 metre ball of yellow wool mate.... and only somewhere in a dense scrubby garden bed in an urban park..... no bush bashing for you mate :lol:

The irony is that GPS's leave a bread crumb trail of where you've been. This is an old thread resurrected but Blackwolf I'll be heading off soon on my annual pilgrimage to Hill End, Tuena, Bright and Maryborough. If you're anywhere near those areas I'd be happy to demonstrate on how to use a GPS. I have two and I'd be happy to lend one to you for a few days if you wish.
1520479500_etrex10.jpg

LoneWolf said:
Better off using Hi-vis Fluro pink survey tape and tie on a tree branch... easier to see... instead of looking down all the time... 8)

LW...

+1 for the paper flouro tape (blaze orange is best colour) and it is eco friendly and will last for a couple of wet days, it is also sold in dispensers> Ken.

If you use the fluorescent pegging tape in WA, please please please remove it when you finish and dont just leave it there.

Drillers, Geos and mining companies use it and it and causes havoc with their marking.

LoneWolf said:
Better off using Hi-vis Fluro pink survey tape and tie on a tree branch... easier to see... instead of looking down all the time... 8)

LW...

Best method I know of besides a gps with spare batteries, compass and a spot or Epirb divice in case things really go south. As madtuna said remove it when your done. :)

Latest posts