Builders chalk

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Is it okay if I go into the bush and mark my way every, say, 20 feet with a small x marks the spot with landscape chalk?

Have a compass but don't want get lost! :eek:

Will rub out when leaving. :)

Blackwolf, It's okay to do what you ask legally, as in you won't get in trouble, however it is probably not a very practical or reliable way to navigate. If you are going to wander some distance seriously think about getting a small hand held GPS. I have one and set the car as as a way point before heading off. In the event I get disorientated and not sure which way to go to get back at the end of the day of looking at the ground, I pull the GPS out and it points me in the right direction. (always carry some spare batteries) The can be picked up relatively cheaply new or even better second hand.

I got lost in the bush once. First thing i bought when i got home was a hand held GPS . Also good for marking where you have found nuggets

Decent hand held GPS's are pretty cheap these days , well worth the investment .

Not really worth mucking about with anything else.

Map of area and compass is always a good backup in the pack , dont even have to leave GPS on while out bush , mark your home waypoint ( car / 4x4 etc ) , turn it off and can only turn it on during the day to set more waypoints or follow it home in the arvo.

7.62marksman said:
If you dont want a gps try one of these i have one cost around $150 Bushnell 360403 Backtrack
never been geographically embarrassed always come home :)
much to my partners disgust :mad:
Bushnell work really well takes you back gets you out of trouble as long as you remember to mark your starting position

HoudiniHarry said:
7.62marksman said:
If you dont want a gps try one of these i have one cost around $150 Bushnell 360403 Backtrack
never been geographically embarrassed always come home :)
much to my partners disgust :mad:
Bushnell work really well takes you back gets you out of trouble as long as you remember to mark your starting position
Cheers. I'll invest in one.

Drag a bit of pink / orange (fluro now available for the 1st 2 colours) or white cotton you'll be amazed at how long it lasts. Used cotton to mark game trails years ago and still found it there 12 months later. Just a cheap option that served a good purpose before expensive technology became the norm. Not recommended now days, if everyone did it the bush would be a patchwork of cotton threads of all colours.

However if your in a remote area it's a handy thing to have, serves many purposes.

The joy of a GPS is not only finding your way back to the car, but marking areas you like as waypoints so you can find them later or if you find a nugget where you found it. I turn mine on and put it in my back pack. If I need it I pull it out. It is smaller than my phone so takes up no room. It also gives heaps of other info in relation to your travel if you are interested. Strongly recommend carrying one.
Matt

Hi Blackwolf,

I found that if you join the defense force they will teach you how to navigate in the bush. If you can't do that what about an orienteering club. Best to know how to navigate the basic way before relying on elrctronic devises.

Don't get me wrong, I like my gps but rarely have to use it to get back to where I left the car.

Having a paper map, knowing your north, south, east and west, roads, hills, creeks are normally enough for you to not lose you way.

One day the electronic devise will not have power or can't get a signal so you will have to go back to the sextant.

Cheers

Doug