Minelab GPX4500 tips, settings, questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
madtuna said:
Often I swear you dont even hear them but instead sort of feel them. Again, it doesnt matter what it is as long as its repeatable.

Agree totally. With the SDC2300 on tiny gold sometimes it's a slight increase in volume only not accompanied by an increase in pitch. It depends on the shape and orientation of the nugget.

madtuna said:
Turn a ground noise into a target.

Rake the ground with your foot and suddenly you have a repeatable signal. It's like you put the target there with your mind! Woooah! 8)

Thanks guys

The unselfish donation of knowledge and experience , on this forum , never ceases to amaze me ! May you all retire early !

Regards

Gunter

Yeah you really have to just dig every signal when learning. You will get to know what is what but some times a ground noise signal will turn into a nugget once down 2 or 3 inches so again if in doubt dig down a bit.

G'day all,
Does anyone have any recommended settings for my gpx 4500. will be detecting the Victorian region?

If in doubt run factory settings and adjust the Stability up as much as you can to 'open' the machine.
The other day I was running the standard 11" Commander mono in a Custom setting that was recommended, it became too unstable and picking up hot clay pockets every few meters even with the RX reduced to 6, persisted for 2.5 hrs but it got the better of me because it was getting too hard to pick repeatable signals.

Went back to factory settings in General then raised the Stab. to 18 (opening up) and got the RX to 10 and it was the most stable I've run the 4500 so far, took 10 mins to locate the finest splinter of tin in the scoop and couldn't believe how much better the sensitivity and stability was.
The only down side was that I discovered that in the last 20 mins of a 3 hr session before going back to work :(

hi guys/girls, i will be heading up to wedderburn in the next couple of days can anyone suggest some good settings for that type of ground?

I have been using these for a while.
1522063640_4500.jpg

Works well but you will need to make some changes depending on soil type.

Good luck with that tigers rule. Qeens gully would have to be one of the most flogged gullies in Victoria. Still, you never know, there is probably a bit left there somewhere. It was pretty good forty years ago.

Reg Wilson said:
Good luck with that tigers rule. Qeens gully would have to be one of the most flogged gullies in Victoria. Still, you never know, there is probably a bit left there somewhere. It was pretty good forty years ago.
I would have to agree. It would be okay if there were to be a 300 mm downpour there in one day maybe.

Hi all,

Probably somewhat of an open ended question however I have seen different descriptions of the relationship between gain and stabaliser settings on the GPX 4500. Noting that all settings are ground dependent, do most people run gain above stabaliser, or the other way around?

Thanks in advance.

I have a simple philosophy. Leave stabilizer on factory preset of 10 and set your Rx Gain first to suit the ground. Then set your Stabilizer according to how stable you want your threshold to be.

The only thing I avoid is using Quiet Audio with a low Stabilizer setting, as this is a double "choking" effect on the audio path.