DIY Plug Digga Spade plans with stick on template and instructions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys, new to the metal detecting hobby (no detector yet). I was told about this thread by another member, and must say, fantastic design, much appreciated for sharing :)

I had a look at Bunnings, but wouldn't see the spade mentioned previously... but they do have this one for $8...

374f090d-bb5b-438c-82f3-9f099e2dd6a5.jpg

... only things is it has that long spine down the middle. Is that a problem ? I wasn't planning on making a long version, basically small as possible so it's easier to carry and less conspicuous... thoughts ?

7.62marksman said:
The spine gives strenth mate
You make the size that suits what you want to do there is no limits

Thanks marksman :). Would have a large/long spine affect the quality of the plug?

Hi all diggers...my two cent worth is I go to garage sales ,,you can pick up some good old type spades ,maybe used but the used ones some time turn out tobe the best,,,,good old high quality steel not the cheap chink stuff ,, look for the name on the handle spiget.....

Confucius says shorten handle to make shorter spade (well he would if he were a gun detectorist in modern times I recon) :lol:

G"DAY ALL,
shovels aint shovels, no matter what they cost, basically there are 2 types professional and backbreakers , before you buy a shovel, try this simple test, lay the base of the shovel head on a flat floor while you are losing the handle , is your back straight or are you stooping over , if you r stooping over my guess is you will have a backache after a short period of shovelling, if you back is straight then , as I have found , shovelling is easier no backache I was a subterranean engineer along time ago and hard good teachers on selecting and using tools, so at 67 my hips are bugged but I do not have any issues with my back bad backs are a curse save it
blacksmithing , you might be lucky to find a short legit od railway line a poor mans anvil, I never heard of any one using coal in the smithy trade they all use charcoal and if you don't have a blower try my $79 buntings ryobi one blower has a multitude of uses stick a bit op metal pipe in your charcoal fire and see how hot it gets white hot real quick . hardening and tempering , hardening heat till cherry red then quench now it hard to temper clean the surface to bright steel and heat slowly watch the colour change from straw to deep blue the temp range lies within the colour quench when you got the colour you want the old timers reckoned wet cow shitttttt was the go for the final quench might be a myth
I hope i passed on some good old knowledge to the budding enthusiast that like to make their own, the other night standing around the campfire the bed of coal finding it difficult to breathe because a so called fire expert reckoned it had too much wood in there the old truck rim should have been glowing red but it wasn't I said , if i had slump of steel i would make something, the fire expert blurted what a waste of time it would be easier to go buy it, oohhh I said , so what your analogy is time energy and you don't really enjoy the bit about making something, yep he answered , ok so it would be easier and cheaper for you to go to the fish market to but a fish that you don't eat than to come here troll around all day catch nothing then when you do you let it go yep makes sense to me perhaps he should try prospecting I enjoy the posts

Hi
Built the Plug Digga Spade on a long handle. I have named it " Mr. Nasty " :)
Thanks to Australia for sending 50 Fire Fighters to help with British Columbia forest fires.
Good On Yah . :Y:
Nowara

Hello, All and Green Hornet! My digga has finally died, my dodgy welding did not work. I think I suppose to heat it and leave it so it can become soft then when welding is done, then heat treat it water or oil. But I don`t have big heat source.
Anyway I made another one but different shape! Shape was inspired by English style digga. I hope this one will last. But It is cheap so does not matter. More teeth than previous one. :D
1511233402_img_20171121_133958.jpg

1511233402_img_20171121_134004.jpg

caparobertsan said:
Hello, All and Green Hornet! My digga has finally died, my dodgy welding did not work. I think I suppose to heat it and leave it so it can become soft then when welding is done, then heat treat it water or oil. But I don`t have big heat source.
Anyway I made another one but different shape! Shape was inspired by English style digga. I hope this one will last. But It is cheap so does not matter. More teeth than previous one. :D
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/9305/1511233402_img_20171121_133958.jpg
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/9305/1511233402_img_20171121_134004.jpg

I used it. It is ok. But this plastic handle is very weak! NOT RECOMMENDED! :N: :N: :N:

The rounded point is pretty good for really soft or loam soils or with good draining soils like garden beds and lots of moisture, probably the best.
You see it in Europe, UK and some US places a lot.

If it is cheap enough, buy another spade and do your point stuff on that, have one for soft soil (sand too) and one for hard soil places.

The original design is not that good in sand because you need more surface area for the sand to sit on, your change would be good for the soft stuff.

Discovery is good.

Latest posts