Mackeral mayhem

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
1520132478_rps20180304_140311_695.jpg
1520132528_20180303_114012.jpg
No gold to show instead a couple of spanish mackeral. I lost 4 and landed two.

Awesome :Y: my boys would love to catch a few from their kayaks. But we don't live near'em oh well I'll show them the photos and cement the ambition in their minds.

Every year i get ready for the warm water to start pushing down. Mackeral, cobia, tuna, and sometimes black marlin. The rest of the year snapper kingies etc. Anyone who would like to come out or up for a fishing trip let me know. Its starting to fire up and finishes around june. Plenty of jewies around now aswell.

Holy crap, nice work! Don't know if I would like anything that toothy getting too close to my lap. Bringing in something longer than your boat is wide is a good effort.

Wow, that is impressive catching those snapper from a yak.

I love spotties too they are fantastic fun, I used to go out of SWR with a 24' Hartley Cruiser.

Have even caught them for fun and sport on 1-2kg main line on a calcutta 50b baitcaster setup for bass fishing.

Everyone thinks mackerel = bloodlines and dark meat but spotties have lovely white flesh and fillet so damn easy and freeze well. From a 9kg fish you are probably walking away with 7.5kg+ in firm white fillets. Then some awesome heads and backbones for crab traps!

I got a couple of nice dam trout on the weekend, 2.6lbs brown and 3.4lbs rainbow but damn I'd trade them for a spottie, been too long.

Yes those teeth on the mackeral can be a worry. I only have had one grab my thigh. Luckly only a little cut. But the blood leaking from me into the ocean was a concern. Aussie Chris I to used to think the barries where the best. And spotties where for the mother in law. I'd rather spotties than most fish now, except pearl perch. Iv been to the trout hatchery west of me but never tried to catch one. It's on the bucket list to do.

Mate Pearlies are one of the best-eating fish out there, I guess it's all subjective but for fish I have caught up your way, Pearlies, John Dory and Mangrove Jacks would have to fight it out for best eating, toss in Bar Cod and Blue-Eye Trevalla if you can dodge the nor'easter and get out wide.

Hehe I have had a Wobbegong latch onto me, also a Grinner.....lol so many teeth, had to cut its head off and pry the jaw open to release it. A mate of mine had a Hairtail break its teeth off into his hand down the Hawkesbury, the same guy got spiked in the leg by a small Black Marlin one time with me at Hat Head!

I like trout when they are small, Ill panfry the little 1lb ones with some bacon, lemon and butter, but the bigger ones can get a bit gamey, this time of the year they are full of hormones and not real good on the plate, I tend to smoke the bigger ones if I don't release them, sometimes even a small fly can rip their guts out if they swallow it.

Anyway congrats on those fish, very impressive from a kayak.

Stay safe! I'll have to tell you about the Hammerhead I hooked off Grassy Head that dragged the boat over the course of 3 hours almost to Nambucca......... ;)

Latest posts