Twapsters Nullagine Gold 2017

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twapster

Peter
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

been off grid for quite some time so I apologise for not checking in and saying gday. We spent six months straight in a tent and have lots of videos of our adventures, it just takes time to share them but I decided to knock up a vid of our recent camp out in the Nullagine Dessert in WA. We drove up from Newman for the night (200km each way) and were lucky enough to nail a few nuggets in the cooler hours of the day.

Hope you enjoy as much as we do finding the yellow!

Twapster

Great video Twapster (was going to say cool video but didn't seem appropriate when your detecting in 40 deg.heat.)You guys are certainly out there living the dream.I was wondering what coil Na had on the Exterra 705 when she found gold with it.

Eldorado said:
Great video Twapster (was going to say cool video but didn't seem appropriate when your detecting in 40 deg.heat.)You guys are certainly out there living the dream.I was wondering what coil Na had on the Exterra 705 when she found gold with it.

Hey Eldorado......6 inch DD coil, machine dumbded down to account for ground mineralisation. A lot of the gold in that spot is right near the surface so any detector can stumble upon a piece. Unfortunately for most its so remote and hot that there are easier places!

The exterra is so sensitive one wouldn't normally use in those conditions, but in all metal mode it can be tweaked to only make a noise when its within 2 inches of a target - that's all she needed to get a nice little gram piece just sitting there waiting for someone to walk over it. You can see in the video, the gold is within an inch of the surface. I was tempted to move some spinifex all around that spot but by 8am it was stinking hot and time to drive back to Newman (current work). Maybe next year when it cools down, at the moment I'm just doing day trips to try and find a patch somewhere out there I can return to at a later date!

Thanks Twapster,put a dual pack 705 on lay-by today,pick it up in a week or so.Now I know it's not the best gold detector but I have bought it to hunt for coins and relics mainly,but it is nice to know it will pick up a little nugget if close to the surface.It looked like the nugs you found were sitting in the low pressure points of the watercourse you were swinging in.Good luck in your future endeavours.

No dramas, in fact in prospecting mode the machine will ping nuggets better that the gold detectors in some conditions but they cant eliminate the noises of ironstone etc so thats why we dumb it down so it only pings on targets close to the coil and doesnt drive u crazy. When gold is sitting so close to the surface you can use all metal mode to discriminate the targets easier and block out unwanted noise.

Ive done air tests with the xterra and it was pinging nuggets better than the PI machine, but unfortunately pings on everything else in the mineralized soil hence needing to dumb it down in goldfields.

Na just walks around scraping the coil on the ground and if a half gram plus nugget is within reach it will blip on that without making a noise on heavy ground noise if that makes sense. Obviously we would prefer an SDC for her but we havent got around to that, will be our next purchase.

If I had the money I would buy the 7000, hands down finds gold easier than the 4500 in the wrong hands. But Ive become so used to my machine and the 14 inch elite mono...... Im not fussed waiting until prices get a little better.

If relics are your main game then you have a good machine! Hope u do well, and take a camera for those special moments you can share with us fellow prospectors!

Latest posts