Minelab SDC2300 information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had my sdc 2300 for 3 months I've been to castelmain ballarat Creswick Panton hill maldon marybrough daylesford chewton musk vale Seymour covered alot of hours on each area no luck just get junk or lead shot I've tired different settings too,
sdc the vacuum all the good reviews :| ??

Wanna sell it? :p
What detector/s had you used before the SDC?
No offense intended but I've found some people who are new to detecting take to the SDC like ducks to water & find gold within a few trips.
Others struggle, & not just with the SDC, for a variety of reason - not noise cancelling, poor ground balance, dismissing certain signals (too faint or too loud), poor coil control etc. etc.
If you can get out with another experienced SDC user or get on a training day it might turn things around?
They are a great detector & before I sold mine it had paid for itself in hundreds of sub gram tiddlers. I am thinking of getting another one. IMO there is no other small gold vacuum like it.

mrgold said:
I've had my sdc 2300 for 3 months I've been to castelmain ballarat Creswick Panton hill maldon marybrough daylesford chewton musk vale Seymour covered alot of hours on each area no luck just get junk or lead shot I've tired different settings too,
sdc the vacuum all the good reviews :| ??

The choice of detector is important if you're looking for gold and you've made a good choice. However, it will only work on gold bearing ground. You must spend a significant amount of time and energy on research to be successful. The best place to start is an area renown for its alluvial gold. Even then, sometimes this gold was extracted from great depths. If the area you choose has a lot of deep shafts that were sunk to extract the gold then you might have to work the old mullock heaps to find something that they discarded. We usually seek out ground that has had shallow workings as this is an indication that the gold was near the surface.

When you find the right patch where you feel confident you don't need to cover a big area but you do need attention to detail. Look for the places where it's difficult for anybody to get to. Close to rocky outcrops, old stumps, tight bushy areas, fresh erosion or anywhere that somebody else may have avoided because it was too hard. Usually there will be a fair bit of junk left behind by the old miners. Sometimes there's nice collectable treasure as well but you have to dig it all because nobody can accurately identify a target before they get to see it. We have often pulled a nugget out of the same digging as an old bullet or piece of steel.

Most people will use the SDC with the threshold on about 3 LEDs. You can run it with only one lit but it tends to chatter a bit and can make differentiating a target from ground noise difficult. The other settings are 1-5. You are best at the highest setting you can stand without having it chattering away at the noisy ground. Don't forget to press the frequency scan button when you first arrive at the site. That will help eliminate EMI.

Happy hunting..... :Y:

Ps: The grammar police are out in force at the moment and somebody might notice that you have failed to add caps to your place names :eek:

Goldchaser1 said:
Kudos to you Mr RM outback,going out of your way for more or less a stranger,top stuff mate :Y: :Y: :Y:

I was a stranger and made welcome by everyone here. Was also surprised by a PM that invited me to join a member who I had briefly met and for that I will always be grateful. Apart from family the people I've met and spend time in the field with from PAF I consider my prospecting mate's :Y:. I hope mrgold takes up my offer I'm pretty sure I'll witness a new prospector find their 1st piece. Given the time and mileage mrgold has put in I'm just happy to give some of my time to get him really going :Y:.

Special moment seeing people get there first bit RM,helped a few over the years and love seeing the look on there faces when it happens,i think some get to the stage where they beleive its impossible,took a workmate out a while ago who was kicking off,he went all morning in an old area digging rubbish then bingo got a 5.5gr bit,the monkey off his back,mr gold seems to be putting in the hard yards,deserves a break i reckon..... :Y:

RM Outback said:
Goldchaser1 said:
Kudos to you Mr RM outback,going out of your way for more or less a stranger,top stuff mate :Y: :Y: :Y:

I was a stranger and made welcome by everyone here. Was also surprised by a PM that invited me to join a member who I had briefly met and for that I will always be grateful. Apart from family the people I've met and spend time in the field with from PAF I consider my prospecting mate's :Y:. I hope mrgold takes up my offer I'm pretty sure I'll witness a new prospector find their 1st piece. Given the time and mileage mrgold has put in I'm just happy to give some of my time to get him really going :Y:.
:D Nice things happen to Nice people :Y:

Hey gang, need some help with pinpointing with the sdc ?
I thought the hotspot was at the front then decided it was at the back near the stem ?? Tried using it sideways ?
Need some help ?

To pin point you must swing the coil over the target..left ..right..crossing the target...
Starting close to your feet ,swinging away from you..left and right..
You will start to hear the target at the front of the coil as it comes near to it..sweeping left to right..
Draw a line in the ground where your coil tip hears the target..
Now your target is somewhere along that line in the ground..
Come around 90deg..and sweep up that line till you hear the target again ..
Draw another line ..where it makes a cross thats your target..
Now dig The smallest hole you can to get the target out of the ground..
There is no need to did a big hole..When you pin point accurately its easy to get it out of the ground quickly..
And on to find your next piece..
I run the SDC on 5 flat out and sometimes when pinpointing will turn it down to 1..
So the coil needs to be closer to the target hence pinpoints more Accurately..
Good luck ,you will have fun with the 2300..its a great machine..

The ridge on top of the coil is where the coil is most sensitive, all round
1520853608_2300.jpg

Apart from the above methods, on small signals, I slowly sweep left to right on the dirt, moving forward until I get the loudest signal. I then turn 90 degrees and again sweep left to right moving forward. This will in softer ground leave 2 lines at 90 degrees to each other, the target is generally about 3 to 4cm in front of each dirt line.

This works for small and shallow gold.

condor22 said:
The ridge on top of the coil is where the coil is most sensitive, all round
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1932/1520853608_2300.jpg

Apart from the above methods, on small signals, I slowly sweep left to right on the dirt, moving forward until I get the loudest signal. I then turn 90 degrees and again sweep left to right moving forward. This will in softer ground leave 2 lines at 90 degrees to each other, the target is generally about 3 to 4cm in front of each dirt line.

This works for small and shallow gold.

Wow that little SDC looks a bit too clean to have found gold :D

1520989805_sdc_down_a_hole.jpg

This is what happens when you fail to pinpoint correctly. After this effort of digging throughout the night she's worked it out :Y:

Just get a target like an old bullet and place it on the ground where you can see it. Now swing over it, turn 90 degrees and swing again.
Should work pretty quick.

Got an email from a Minelab dealer today ....

The Minelab SDC 2300 detector is one of the most popular detectors in the Minelab range and it is in short supply. There is a global shortage of conductors, which is a component of the SDC 2300, due to an upsurge in electric vehicles and smart phones.

As of 1st July 2018 Minelab is raising the cost of the SDC 2300. If you are thinking of buying an SDC 2300 get your order in now before the price rise.