is it possible to find pyrite and gold in the same quartz piece

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madworld

Sam
Reaction score
After googling it I know you find gold within pyrite but has anyone come across gold and pyrite in the same pieces of host rock ? Not sure if these pieces have 2 different shades of gold or fine gold and chunky pyrite or fine pyrite and chunky pyrite for that matter .. whats the easiest way to test other than crushing and panning ?

Collected a few samples yesterday that look to have fine gold powder within them and chunky looking gold colour but is very crystalline in shape so im assuming thats pyrite and one large rock has definite gold traces , veins of what looks to be pyrite again and another silver coloured deposit that im thinking might be a different composition of pyrite

Having trouble uploading pics but will get some

1428791956_picsart_1428791416650.jpg

1428792052_picsart_1428791254755.jpg

1428792122_picsart_1428791085814.jpg

1428792257_picsart_1428791193747.jpg

Third pic looks like Gold to me......... Could be wrong though. As Grubstake said, could be quite high grade. A drop of Hydrochloric Acid on the Gold bits could maybe help prove it, HCL won't damage Gold but it will dissolve Pyrite.

G'day All

Geologically speaking, it is quite common to get free gold and separately pyrite in the same vein system, particularly if the material camr from relatively shallow systems. The two minerals were introduced at different times. Either the gold is supergene gold or there was a secondary formation of pyrite.

Araluen

Mate with that sort of ore i would be making a claim.
But i have some advice from alot of study and prep. Get you and your mrs miners act license for $24 each . As not alot of people are aware you can claim 5 acres with miners license (prospecting license) and only 10 acres with a claim ...
But a claim will cost $10,000. ?????
I dont know you guys be the judge

Wow. I'm only newish. Don't know a lot but that looks pretty damn exciting. Happy days hopefully. Best of luck. Well done

Looks the goods, :p Have you got a good detector? if so wave it over that rock, it should scream if its gold we are all looking at :eek:

Latest posts