tumbler for panning

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had to drop off an old stove at the tip, the whitegoods pile must have been cleared as there was bugger all there, did notice a few machines with nice stainless steel drums but some of them were pretty huge, like out of 8kg machines. I kicked myself as I had not put any tools in to remove a drum anyway. By chance there was an older machine there, looked inside it to find this awesome little drum, it's not stainless but it will do for now. It actually just lifted out. The tumbler (agitator) part inside it is steel or maybe cast I guess, I know sometimes cast is very brittle but this seems sturdy. But it's not plastic, so that is handy. I prob should have tossed a beer or something beside it for size, I guess it would be 400mm diameter by 250mm deep.

I see so many great tubs from US prospectors, it's a shame we don't have Lowes or Home Depot here.

1518248858_drum.jpg

1518248875_drum2.jpg

And yes I just bit the bullet and put the sprinkler on the lawn, the last few days has knocked it hard.

good for a trailer job maybe,whats the weight like?

those things usually weigh a tonne.

bonus i guess is they're tough as nails.

can't complain at free tho right? :D

Nah its only small and light mate weighs bugger all surprisingly, and yeah freebie. Hard to judge without something to compare it to.

I have around 25 really rugged pharmacy totes (tubs) but unfortunately, this is just a bit too big for them so the tub is going to be the issue.

Like Hunter suggests need something sturdy like a fishmonger tub.

The length of your jack handle will dictate how much you have to bend over when using. And the parallel offset of the handle to the shaft will determine the ease of turning it.
Yes when I've finished it and totally happy with it, I will take it in a friend at a engineering company here to be made out alloy. Wish I had a tig.
Im bit unsure of the washing machine tub but. Mostly because you want as many small holes as possible. And that also assist in loosing the weight overall.
There are other options for the build I have considered. One was a horizontal drum , half in the tub. With a hinged door. Could be messey filling it and tipping.

All in all, the idea is to process material quickly whilst keeping transportation weight and size down with as much simplicity as possible.
Turning the drum took little effort. It even took the cordless drill idea out of the equation.
I might increase the jack hand ratio an inch wider ( expanding the distance of the handle to the shaft)
I did stop and reverse direction to mix it up better.
A good fitting axel to the sleeve is recommended.
I will post pictures after I have dropped the angle and done the top lip mod.
Welding the SS mesh was a bit painful, as it has a very poor heat displacement qualities, and tends to blow out easily.
Even if was alloy or black steel. The flat bar rolled into a hoop ring is almost a must in light guage material. This will allow you to put starting heat to the flat bar first, then weave the weld onto the mesh. Additional strength to the upper outside of the drum can be then gained with some pop rivets through the punched holes into the flat bar. Same on top ring, this top ring is there just to strengthen the lip for deforming.
Keep thinking guys.... and input is welcome.

70% happy with the design mate.
I've tried bucket sieves, waste of time. They dont like volume in them.
As i mentioned I need to lower the angle, as the material tended to sit to deep into the base and I was wasting the upper length of the drum. The further spread up the drum, the more surface area it will have to classify quicker.

I was impressed with the speed of breaking down the dry hard dirt and clay.
So wet river gravel will be even quicker.
Still mentally ticking over a better design for the tub idea.

I personally wouldn't go any larger than the 4.7mm punched holes.

Alloy would be the go. But it would definitely need at least a 30x3mm hoop band at the base and top. The hoop at the bottom will allow it to be welded up easy and strengthen the barrel. And the top one can really be just pop riveted. This will just help keep its circular shape intact.

Maybe hang off for a bit, and see what I come up with as far as the tub idea change.

Shouldn't be too long, as I was pretty honest yesterday with telling my boss what I thought of him, he must of liked it as he gave me a LOT of time off.
WAHOO! Going to be able to get out heaps now! :Y:

mudgee hunter said:
Shouldn't be too long, as I was pretty honest yesterday with telling my boss what I thought of him, he must of liked it as he gave me a LOT of time off. WAHOO! Going to be able to get out heaps now! :Y:

Get like 10-15 years off or something? Chin up! only have to find 4 grams a day now to survive ;) Keep inventing like Doc Brown you will be right.

Reminds me of an episode of Seinfeld called "The Strike". Kramer gets a phone call that the 12-year strike at his former job at H&H Bagels had ended so he decides to go back to work........

(pretty good episode it is also about Festivus and The Human Fund fake charity)

I went out 2 days ago without it, where I went had high ground diggings up the side of a hill , they had been chasing old river bed gold. And a big effort put in. I carted a few buckets of dirt down to the creek from their tailings. Really orange to yellow hard dirt and clay. And yes they sure did miss some gold. I do wish I had taken it as I could have taken it to the site, filled the tub with water and processed it on site. Some might know how this stuff turns after adding water to it.turns to sloppy soup.
With it broken down to the right consistency of water, and a good settling stir in the tub, one can easily pour of the top level of soup and add more water. So long as you are confident it is runny enough that tne gold has reached the bottom.
Breaking this hard packed dirt did require a pick.
Its coming with me next trip for sure!

Just needs a motor and wheels and you can drive it to your prospecting area :playful:

Sandbagger said:
Bloody brilliant mate! How do you check the wash inside for nuggets?

Baz.

Put it through a banker or bluebowl I guess Baz :goldnugget:

Hey mudgee hunter, i like your design. I have been thinking about doing the same but driving it manually with an old bicycle crankset, and a chain connecting it to a cog on the back of the 'trommel' barrel. Do you think there's a way this could work?

Macros78 said:
Hey mudgee hunter, i like your design. I have been thinking about doing the same but driving it manually with an old bicycle crankset, and a chain connecting it to a cog on the back of the 'trommel' barrel. Do you think there's a way this could work?
He has been banned mate

Latest posts