Online, Email Scams, Fake callers/Phone scams and other scam information

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah guys, when I buy something I always try getting it within a 150-250 km radius from home, that way I only pay cash on pick-up. Always try and communicate through email that leaves a paper trail too :Y:

eBay has its own issues. The feedback system can be useless in some cases as high volume sellers have the option to purchase better feedback scores, essentially they are able to delete negative feedback and comments. So if u see any seller on eBay with 100% positive feedback with thousands of sales then it's probably too good to be true as well. Honestly online purchases through these sorts of sites is getting worse not better over the last few years.

Matt80 said:
eBay has its own issues. The feedback system can be useless in some cases as high volume sellers have the option to purchase better feedback scores, essentially they are able to delete negative feedback and comments.
Just a question
How do you work this out
Yes i am a ebay seller and the only way that negative feedback can be removed is by ebay and you have to ring or on their request email and put your case forward that the negative feedback was wrong and belive me you MUST HAVE PROOF or it will stay no questions asked
So can you please explain how you came to this conclusion

Matt80 said:
eBay has its own issues. The feedback system can be useless in some cases as high volume sellers have the option to purchase better feedback scores, essentially they are able to delete negative feedback and comments. So if u see any seller on eBay with 100% positive feedback with thousands of sales then it's probably too good to be true as well. Honestly online purchases through these sorts of sites is getting worse not better over the last few years.

Mate I have 100% positive feedback on ebay and it is simply because I have NEVER received bad feedback . I dont have 1000s of feedback but I have 100s. One day I'll have 1000s and the feedback will be genuine as always.

The next part of the scam on Gumtree was. The bloke wanted to buy the item (I asked for local pickup only) but couldn't as he was working on an oil platform for another couple weeks. Had several short emails from this bloke, really interested in the item. Then he said So could I include the freight charges through this third party courier Account number ??????? and he would pay for everything at once. ok. yeh. Well then the courier rang up and wanted up front payment!!!! Before the bloke on the oil rig had payed for the item... I smelt a rat and contacted the local police here in Werribee. Scam they said. Don't tell them anything.

Said its been going on for months. Even used it for buying pets online. tell you they will pay for courier and pet, but can you pay the courier fee first and include the receipt.
Turns out the account your sending the money to for the courier may sound legit but could be in china. You will never see that money again.

If its too good to be true, it probably is.

I received an email today from a niece of mine stating she had attached a document for me.
I was just about to open the email when my wife called out that my niece has had her Facebook page hacked.
My niece had posted a warning to all her Facebook "friends" not to open any emails from her and my wife saved me just in time.

So, be warned - don't open any emails with document attachments from friends unless you are expecting one from them.

ALSO watch out for the Australia Post undelivered parcel scam - http://www.news.com.au/technology/o...m/news-story/77cd5243cbaa454f1e97a78811f14ccd

Hover over the attachment and study what come's after the dot.
ie;
Yadda.Yadda.jvs,
Yadda.Yadda.scr.txt.exe,
Also be aware of Jpg files with a double extension.
Put it this way,
If you did not request it,
No One told you,
Don't click on it.

I received what I believe is another scam email today.
It said -

Seasons Greetings
You Have A Present
Open Your Holiday Card!

This was the sender -
[email protected]

No idea who this company is and the email doesn't say which of my friends sent it.
Even Mr. Google doesn't know who/what gritngrit is.

Chiron52 said:
I received what I believe is another scam email today.
It said -

Seasons Greetings
You Have A Present
Open Your Holiday Card!

This was the sender -
[email protected]

No idea who this company is and the email doesn't say which of my friends sent it.
Even Mr. Google doesn't know who/what gritngrit is.

You must be on the scammers mailing list :D

Hi Whisp,
I guess someone I know has had their email account hacked and so everyone in their address book will be receiving these love letters.

Bloody scammers,

One time my mate got tricked over the phone from someone claiming to be from microsoft and he gave them remote access to his pc and they locked it up and demanded payment to get it unlocked again :D

He just called me up because I'm somewhat tech savvy, and we just reinstalled a fresh copy of windows :rolleyes:

DetectingSA, A cousin of mine who is a real technophobe, payed a scammer $200 because an email (from Microsoft :lol:) said his computer had a problem and needed an instant repair.

One thing to beware of is how they personally address you. A fake email will use the wording "Dear Sir, Madame, customer, what ever". The genuine one will use your name. This is only an example but a useful one.

A friend of mine who still uses me as her IT guy received a email from one of her friends. She wanted to know she was asking for $,000's.After not hearing from my friend for a few days. She rang my friend eventually . We found out that someone had hacked her contacts and had used them to email everyone on the list asking for money. With help from a mate in the AFP, google and happy to say microsoft we got the son of a b. He was in the USA and is now happy to have a home for the next 25 years in a federal penitentiary. Beware of any unsolicited emails. If you do not know the sender just delete. I just received on my phone at 11.10 a multimedia message. I deleted it as it said from a private number and I am not expecting anything especially at that time of night.

Just rec an email purporting to be from Dun&bradstreet on behalf of Origin Energy looking for an outstanding amount of $51.00.

Pay direct to account to avoid further legal proceedings etc etc.

I wonder how much they actually get paid by people caught up in this.

I've had a few emails telling me that I have won $2000-00 as a lucky Woollies shopper. Going further into it as usual they start for details of private so I deleted them. No mention of Everyday Rewards details etc. :eek:

Latest posts