Dryblower riffle tray Fabric???

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Guys

Like the title says, I am looking to get some fabric in preparation to build my Dryblower.
I am interested to hear your thoughts on what works best & also where you sourced it from.
cheers
Lee

I got given a set of bellows with a riffle box attached by George at NQ Miners Den and it has what looks like cheese cloth in it. Have a look at the bellows style drywasher thread, there was some discussion of cloth there.

One fellow picked up some cloth from Bunnings.

Hi Lee,

Reeds prospecting in WA have replacement fabric for the Keene dry blowers. $18 from memory but you get enough to do at least a couple of trays depending on the size. I found myself in the same position when I built mine. This stuff really looks like an open weave fine black cotton fabric. I went to Spotlight to try and find the same stuff but nothing was exactly the same.

This stuff is fine enough to hold the fines but loose enough to allow adequate air flow through.

Good luck

Ive tried a few now and reckon a cotton and synthetic blend is the go nothing too bouncy or you will experience sag.

I think Golddigg ,is pretty right on the material that you need.

Regards The Digger

when I was looking out for material I tried to find the strongest I could with the smallest diameter of thread , with the hole size I wanted , the thicker the thread/cotton etc is the less holes there are per square inch so creates more resistance . I did find 2 types am happy with at spotlight but did a lot of looking and "strength testing" ,one is a fairly silky feel and tough as .
with thick thread stuff like say hessian, its just less holes per inch and a lot more resistance , hope this all makes sense
:rolleyes:
also think this product on ebay is worth a look , its call metal silk , a type of woven stainless steel mesh that gets as fine as .035 mm hole size with very fine thread size, now thats fine!

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Woven-Wi...98?pt=AU_Spinning_Weaving&hash=item3a997bc836

hope some of this helps
cheers ,flash

yea wasn't really suggesting you use it that fine it comes in various grades and I reckon a sweet spot could be found with it, little sag, very long lasting ;)

hey golddig ,have only been out a cple times with the tecta since I posted the pics of the 3 itty bits a while back , to no avail.

yes the ground must be drying up we haven't had much rain at all in these parts ,next thing will be too hot and will only want to dry blow in the shade preferably by a river somewhere :cool:
go well
flash

Hi Guys

I am trying to find a suitable riffle tray cloth for a bellows drywasher. I bought some keens replacement cloth and will be testing this soon.
I also bought some muslin cloth from spotlight but this let way too much fines through.

Would anyone know of a type or brand of fabric I could get fairly easily and cheaply from a fabric store like spotlight or similar?

I appreciate any help or guidance

cheers
Wazza

anything open weave with a synthetic blend should do. you need to test the stretch strength to see if it would be suitable

Thanks GD,

Any further info you can add about this, like a type or something? The spotlight guys are pretty young and vague so I haven't had much success with their guidance!

Appreciate the help

Cheers Wazza

haha they aren't versed in gold recovery hey? in all seriousness theres no one brand what i found was important was that it was firm like a canvas but not so closed. a 50%/50% blend of synthetic worked work i must have tried 10 different cloths from spotlight and the one i settled on was almost the same as the replacement cloth i got from reeds in wa. accept from the shop it was $10 per meter :) something firm that you can breath through but not stretchy mate. look in the offcuts

It's gonna sound crazy,but I bought some fluro yellow work shirts,I can't wear them they produce so much static.

It was my thought to try them in a dry blower at some stage.

100% poly.

I don't have a dryblower,i'm just going on what produces more static,don't flame me for the suggestion,coz that's all it is.

Thanks a lot for the info guys

I certainly will take that info when I pop into spotlight GD

Cheers Waz

Mate i dug a set pf mine from put behind the shed ill post a photo for you when im in the office and can resize it

I had some luck using old cotton bedsheets from targetthe. Not the soft winter type but the harder cheap generic one.

Latest posts