Actually Building the Machine!

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cant you get any help with the calculations?

Hope you sort things out, can get frustrating when things dont work as they should sometimes.

No, dont got any help. But its a litle frustrating thing but not an unsolveble problem. It can be done in several ways but the one i want to go for is not something you'll find in a 3d printer program or something like that... more in profesional cnc programs. But dont worry, when i got the electronics done i can test it and try some things by using charts so i dont need a stepper for testing. I know how the curve must be (a working curve) but its more the fine part of it and how i can work multi axis at once and with different speeds. So with other words ill program it first in a line chart then on my linux/windows pc and if that is working ill write it in C# for the micro controller.

I think i have a solution for that problem now :p LOL sometimes putting things away for a while is working fine! But i have a working solution for starting and stopping motors in diff speeds and lenghts. :p

Yes! Again a step further!

Did some programming today for setting up the motors, each motor get's its own setup so that i can run each motor at his own speed. Some at the maximum some slower. This was my biggest problem until now, i made a simple program where i can config the speed and start/stop of the motor!

In the graphic you can see all the settings, and if i change a setting then i can view directly the outcome. The next thing is programming the Teensy microchip with the same variable config. When i give the motor the commands with the settings you see the motor will run like the graphics.

Motor_Config.jpg

Greetings,

Christian

Isnt there some already working program for running you motors?
I mean why the need to program it from scratch? There must be somebody that have used the same kind of motors in other applications before.

Why programming from scratch?

Becourse i need to work with it! ;) If i take some from google or something the problems ill get that it isnt doing what i want to ;) There is so much to find on the internet but when it is comming on 'the bakers secret' everybody is doing its own. I dont use G code or something i want complete controll of the machine. Thats why i make everything myself. And yes sometimes you need to renew the spinning wheel. And yes, its taking time but at the end if you want to change some things then it is easyer!

Greets,

Christian

How is everything coming along with the machine Christian?
Did you solve the problem with the motors?

Hi Thomas,

Mwah, taking some rest and building a new cnc router, need to program but im thinking about controlling all the axis, some needs to be controlled by calculations and others by time. So im not there yet. Ill continue when i have a solution for the data, im not shure how im going to do it.

Greetings,

Christian

Are you in need of a new cnc router or you just need something to do in between the programming? :)

A high level programmer as you must have friends in the same area, sure have to be somebody that have some ideas on how to solve it.

Anyway, hope you figure it out. Really like to see the machine up and running. :)

Hehehe shure it is going to run, only not directly, first i need to have a clear working picture in my head. And I'd sold my old router so im building a new one, indeed more of a in between project. But must work better then the last one :- ) Im doing a bit of drawing now, and im at the Z axis for the milling machine. I mis the milling machine for making small parts. Costs about $2500 if i sell the machine again ill get about $5k. Just having the most parts laying around :p its a shame if i didnt build it :D

Ahh, ok then you should build it. You will make some money on it anyway.

Does the milling machine cost 2500 with or without the parts you have already, I mean do you ad in the cost of the parts you have at home now or not?

I need 4 motors and 4 drivers, the milled aluminium plates and spindles and the construction aluminium. Mayby its $3k I have the rest laying here around. The machine im building now doesnt have the flaws that i have in my other machine. Learned a lot from building that other machine. Ill get my money back on the machine mayby more but i want to use the machine as well and this time i want to mill under the 500th and with flood cooland so that i can mill a lot better as the last machine. It just wasnt what i had in mind, thats why i sold the last one. Only this time its a bit bigger and better :)

Image_start.jpg

What I meant was how much does the parts that you have lying around at home cost?
Those parts will add to the end price of the milling machine.

Was more interested in knowing if you can make money on building milling machines if you sell them.

t can be done if you use inexpensive materials... im using only expensive materials :D You can build a cnc for around 1500 euro's and sell it for about 2500 euro's. But dont ask me how it looks like :p lol, the materials i have + the materials i need to buy +/- 5k euro's. So i dont get mutch more for the machine. But ill get my investment out of it. Thats fine. But if a machine can get its full investment back and you can use it for free thats oke for me!

Hi Folks (Thomas)

So, i've made a decision, ill first let my machine work with one axis at the time and finish it. So i call on each axis wich place it needs to be and do there thing. To work with multiple axis i need to work with time. Hoped that i didnt need to do that but there is no other way. So first ill program the machine for each axis seperated controll then when the machine is totally done ill think about timing the axis. But there are several difficulties in multiple axis becourse some axis have a continuous movement so these need to be programmed other way.

So the next thing is:

- Finishing the rest of the cables for the kill switches.
- Programming a new algorithm for all axis but one at the time with its values.
- Buy new cable chains that can hold more cables.
- Add a kill switch for testing
- Make the complete electronics cabinet.
- Draw the lap table.
- Finishing the Cutting head.
- All the next thing we see then.

I think its taken a long time to think about the issue about moving the axis but im done with it, so first a static movement of the axis and when the machine is done, looking at a dynamic movement.

Christian

How fast can it switch between axes if you have it only working on one at a time?

The back and forth (sweeping) movement when grinding is best used in one direction. So it has to go down against the lap and then sweep across the lap. At the end of the movement it has to lift from the lap before going back to the starting point again. Or this is what you call the continuous movement maybe?

Fun to see that you are going forward with the build anyway. :)

Hi Thomas & Thomas,

vonG said:
How fast can it switch between axes if you have it only working on one at a time?

Pretty fast, but dont know yet the results. We will see when i've got it running.

vonG said:
The back and forth (sweeping) movement when grinding is best used in one direction. So it has to go down against the lap and then sweep across the lap. At the end of the movement it has to lift from the lap before going back to the starting point again. Or this is what you call the continuous movement maybe?

Im using multiple microcontrollers, the lap movement is on a other mcu so that i can move that one continuously. The machine can do all the facets i want to but if i want a parabolic movement then i realy need to rethink my setup. If chosen to do that at a later stage now, otherwise it will take longer and longer that im going to finish it all up.

Mayby its my (un)logic understanding of time, but working with time is giving several issues. If i press a key on my keyboard i need to think about the key i want to press, this is taking time and need to be calculated of the time for the key i pressed 8) A stupid example but i think you get it lol. It can be done in realtime but then i should use something like a Mesa PCI computer card ore something like that. But i have no pleasure in to using that. Becourse you need to write everything in C++ or something like that and thats not the language that im great in.

vonG said:
Fun to see that you are going forward with the build anyway. :)

Ya, i just continuing, i have said before, i wont quit. But you need to deside some things that arent easy so you need to search for a another solution of the problems you encounter.

Sodabowski said:
Like I'm the only one following your topic :p Sounds like a plan buddy :)

I dont think thats the case lol did you see the topic views :eek: im a bit scared right now lol hehehe Im curious how many people are following this thread.

Im planing to do this and the next week to do some of the algorithm and attache the last kill switches for the axis and do some testing with the kill switches. Also i hope to do a motor test but dont know if i get that working in this ore the next week but ill try. Also my buddy is ill so i need to wait on a milled piece of aluminium that is holding a cable chain. Sorry if it is all a bit chaotic at this thime.

Christian