Advice on a pinpointer

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had the black garrett pinpointer and I could not use it with the GPX5000, also one of my headtorches used to effect it as well

I have the original black Garrett. Second hand off Gumtree for $80. (checked it wasn't the china fakes).

Works well, great range and easy to use (on and off) no adjustments. Great battery life and durable.

Have noticed if pushed with some pressure into the ground it will go off (false) at times.

Hey MH, Ive got the Minelab Pro-Find 25 (bought new) and Im a little disappointed with it. This is my first pinpointer and I dont know whether my expectations are too high, but its erratic, can false alarm if bumped and has been known to receive side signals (mainly on larger targets).

For the average small target the pointer gets a signal up to about 25mm away.

Having said that, it has found the target more often than not and has been a boon in tight holes where the coil wont fit.

Anolphart said:
Hey MH, Ive got the Minelab Pro-Find 25 (bought new) and Im a little disappointed with it. This is my first pinpointer and I dont know whether my expectations are too high, but its erratic, can false alarm if bumped and has been known to receive side signals (mainly on larger targets).

Having said that, it has found the target more often than not and has been a boon in tight holes where the coil wont fit.

My first Profind 25 was also disappointing

I sent it back with a note of the issues

They replaced it no charge

Makro Pin pointer has been good to me. Waterproof. And reliable unlike the older Minelab Pin pointer.
The new Pro Find 35 should be a winner, but only time and testing will tell.

Plenty of good pinpointers about , but they do interfere with some Detectors

Best to research to see what does & doesnt interfere with the GPZ

Hopefully someone with more knowledge will answer

Anolphart said:

Yes..they are funny. I good bump and they false, and they false just for the sake of it some times

Never had those problems with the Makro. The Makro allows you to dig slightly with it no problems.

I forgot to say that the 25 does interfere with my GPX5000 when pinpointer turned on, but I just turn my speaker off so it's no big deal.

Hey guys, great spread of info.
Thankyou all :Y:

I will check out the new 35 and the makro, and make my decision.

Madhatter I own a black Garrett and the "carrot" [never heard it called that before] and most often I use the Propointer II [Black] I find the Carrot incredibly sensitive and it drive me nuts that you have to continually ground balance it all the time. Hey it might be that Im not using it properly too.

BTW can you all tell me what makes one better than another. Please not just personal preference but why is one better than another?

Starting to have a few problems with my Garrett Carrot, like beeping uncontrollably sometimes and becoming touch/knock sensitive, I haven't really had it that long, still a great pinpointer but definitely becoming less stable, it does get a lot of use though.

I cant fault my black Garrett. I have no intentions of upgrading to the carrot due to the ease of use of the black one. Just push a button and point. It has a light on it too

i got the Nokta Pointer pin-point probe last year it has a few different sleeves for digging etc o the end and it never interfered with my detector. i only use it for relic coin chasing, when it comes to gold i would rather use the coil its too slow alternating between coil and pin when digging big targets but i get that with t5he 7k that hole could be 5 feet deep :)

I got a nokta RS..had it for about 1 and half yrs..used it alot .can't falt it yet.at $140. It's a good deal..just not waterproof .which is the only downfall.. :Y:

Well I would like to know which pinpointer would be best up here in north qld. My friend has a Garrett which he has to keep wrapped up in tin foil in his backpack because it's impossible to use his 4500 at all .Just to much interference.

I own the Garrett A/T pro pointer, the orange carrot. Had it for 3 years, no issues at all. It's very rugged, has good sensitivity and it's waterproof rating is excellent.