⭐ Gemstone & Mineral Show n Tell

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rockhunter62 said:
Is that a tiger tooth saphire? :Y:

Cheers

Doug

Yeah I know it's as a dog tooth but I'm sure it's the same thing. Can you only see one pic there should be 3 but the other 2 don't seem to show or is that just my side?

oinly 1 pic BigRed, if you are using a windows machine drop the pics into microsoft paint, if theyu work, resave them and re upload them.

Nice dog tooth,any decent colour in it?

1518999812_img_0962.jpg

Just got more of these today doing a sluice clean up. Not real sure what they are, but they are small, heavy and there seems to be lots of them. Also some of them are like elongated crystals. Last things left in the pan along with black sand and gold.
1523256620_p4091019.jpg

Above you are the stars,
Below you are the stones.
As you go through life, remember:
Like a star should your love be constant,
Like a stone should your love be strong.
Traditional neo-pagan wedding rite (from Pagan Astrology by Raven Kaldera)

Crystals are unique stones that throughout history have been thought to hold special healing and cleansing powers. Traditionally, medicine women and men, magicians, priests and alchemists would draw on the symbolism and power of crystals to aid them in their work, whether they were involved with healing the physical body or enhancing the spiritual experience.

Quartz crystals are made of silicone and oxygen, but frequently contain other trace minerals and metals, which can give them a wide variety of colours. The beautiful clear quartz crystal is by far the most famous, but they come in every colour of the rainbow, including rose and smoky quartz, which also play major roles in many traditions surrounding crystology.

Yep, Lowmead produces all amethyst from the palest tint of Rose de France through to so deep purple it almost looks black. All of them can cut nice gems if clean enough :Y:

Nice find 22shells. That streak could be an interesting feature like colour zoning. Have you given it a scrub and put some oil or something on the surface to get a better look inside yet?

All I did was scrub the dirt off with water and a toothbrush, haven't put oil on it- didn't even know you could do that. There's a small patch of ironstone stuck on the surface, which seems to go down into the stone a bit, causing the streak. I'll take it to the guy who cuts my stones for me and see what he says. I think he'll be able to do something with it.

Light-coloured oil will often help you get a better look inside a transparent stone that has a frosty, weathered surface. There's a commercial product called "Refractol" that's probably the best but various light or colourless oils are usually helpful. Aniseed oil used to be popular among lapidarists I think before refractol (I've used aniseed oil and it works quite well) but even baby oil can help.

LoneWolf said:
Aniseed is also good for Fishing.. ;) ... So I have been told.. O:)

LW....

Yeah, I've heard that as well but never gotten around to trying it. Aniseed oil is inexpensive enough for the tiny amount you dab on a stone but might get dear if you drench bait in it - try baiting your hook with black jellybeans :)

LoneWolf said:
Aniseed is also good for Fishing.. ;) ... So I have been told.. O:)

LW....
I heard that myself so tried it out one day.Was heading to Greenwell Point one day for a days fishing and spotted some wild anise growing on the side of the road so I stopped and picked a bag full of it and mashed it up in my berley.The bream went crazy for it,never caught so many bream in my life.

Latest posts