4WD hard canopy - what do you recommend

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Howdy

Im looking at getting a hard top canopy for my dual cab 4WD

Whilst there is various on the market , just interested on comments from others on what they may have or have had

Lockable sides ?

Thanks in advance

Anthony

I think any of the known brands like ARB etc. are ok. I've had a couple of different brands but really like the lift up, lockable side windows on my current one - good access both sides & rear.
Not so impressed with the botched clear coat starting to come off & weather faded black trim in less than 3 years though. Factory Mitsubishi so not sure who supply them?

That ain't to good mbasko for the age. What's the warranty on it given it's factory fitted. I thought Mitsubishi had a 5year standard warranty?.

On the strength of what you've said sounds like ARB big bucks canopies or similar might be worth their coin so long as they have the warranty that matches the coin.

I have had a few utes with canopy's as others said lift up side windows a very good another thing I like the ones with a aluminium frame around the rear window ,we were in out back NSW and broke a rear window had to seal the back of the ute with tape and plastic made it hard to get into the rear of the ute ,if the rear window had a aluminium frame we could have taped the plastic to the frame and used it like a normal window regards john :)

Are you talking trayback or factory tub body ?

If trayback check out the Aussie manufacturers who list on eBay and see which configuration you like before picking a supplier.

Also understand that a dual cab limits you to a maximum body length of around 1800 mm long ( 60% of wheelbase behind the rear axle )

If factory tub , they are all a bit limiting on space for me but it depends what pleases you aesthetically , I dont have experience with them.

I looked into what canopy for the ranger , fibreglass or steel , ended up buying a steel one , with lift up side windows, the strength of a steel canopy was the decider , bought in on gumtree same with the arb bull bar half the new price and had the canopy fitted form the seller but went to victoria to do it , the side window leaks a little in heavy rain just a drop from the weather strip used and the rear top tailgate in fact the whole tail gate is not 100% dustproof so a bit of soft rubber is required to help the seal

Trash said:
Thanks those who have contributed

Its a BT 50 2013 dual cab - factory tub

It's really a hard question to answer as depending on your needs the "best" option will vary and all will have their good and bad points. If your talking glass or ARB style canopy have found the fit and finish on the top brands usually a lot better than the cheap knock offs. Also far less prone to fatigue cracking and generally fittings are a higher quality.
Probably only thing I could offer up is always go for options that have access from both sides of canopy as rear access only will become a real pain in the exactly that :eek:
Window type canopy ............ one that has an opening front window, otherwise trying to clean rear of cab window can become a real task.
Steel or alloy type good luck as the custom builds that are available thru different fabricators are endless. If your in an area with high 4x4 use take a trip to local shopping centre parking lot, as you will usually find ten or twenty different brands on vehicles that you can look at and compare. ;)

iamagoldenoldie2 said:
I looked into what canopy for the ranger , fibreglass or steel , ended up buying a steel one , with lift up side windows, the strength of a steel canopy was the decider , bought in on gumtree same with the arb bull bar half the new price and had the canopy fitted form the seller but went to victoria to do it , the side window leaks a little in heavy rain just a drop from the weather strip used and the rear top tailgate in fact the whole tail gate is not 100% dustproof so a bit of soft rubber is required to help the seal

Golden oldie fit a forward mounting vent to create a bit of positive pressure in canopy will cure dust ingress better than a box of seals. :Y: Have also found it and advantage when parked up as it lets canopy heat escape which makes the cooler ambient temp much more user friendly on the fridge - battery demand side of things.

I have been a long time user of camper shells on many different trucks, I recommend the Leer 180, that is what I am running now on my 06 4x4 Tacoma, if you can buy that model over there, since its cab high but graduates up fast another 4-5" then continues same to the rear of the shell which gives you a much taller opening to load items into the back, as well as if you use the shell like I do for living quarters, you can easily sit up in the shell for dressing,etc. I have used the cab hi shells for yrs and they do work but its limited headroom in the shell if you camp in it.

I got a arb canopy on my triton , I bought it second hand and sprayed it white 2 pac as it was red. I then got the internal bars for a roof rack and built rack and am currently away with roof top tent on it solar panel and treds, smooth finish looks the best, I liked the arb as they are light I lifted it off the trailer by crouching under it and walked it of trailer. Weight limits with a bit of gear in the dual cabs comes up very quick and the heavier fiberglass ones take kg away straight up

1518500083_image.jpg

Bonacini did much the same ......................... got a bargain as a guy swapped me one for a hard cover also smooth finish ARB. Bonus also was it is the model with lift up windows both sides :Y: The wrinkle type are also a bugger to clean if been in the red dust areas. A big plus with ARB or top brands is any parts such as new seals etc are easily and readily available which is something to consider especially if obtaining second hand. What type or brand of internal bars did you use and are they coping no problem with roof topper ?
Looks like you also have the arb hitch with protection bars ................... mine has saved my rear quarter panels on tub a few times ;)
:)

There is nothing like a bargain hey haha, I got a set of internal bars that we are but for a ranger and I chopped them down and made them fit, I got the measurement of how far apart the holes are to match a arb rack and then made my rack to those dimensions just Incase I buy a genuine rack.

Yeah there is no problem with holding weight they are solid 40mm tube I can get a pic for you would be easy to make ya own set too.

Have me n missus in tent and not a problem