Squirrels 505 Finds

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Depends on what look i'm after or what shape the coppers are in Smoky bandit. This lot just got a detergent/toothbrush prewash then popped into the tumbler, but you have to keep a very close eye on it and only tumble for a short period if you want the patina left on. :Y: I generally tumble for ten mins then change the water and flush well, i think the cross only got twenty mins but the 1912 dog tag got 50 mins. they all vary on timing, and changing and flushing stops the brown copper solution from recontaminating the finds and making them blotchy/unattractive. i find the cleaning as much a challenge and as exciting as the hunt. ]:D hope this helps mate.
Smoky bandit said:
Hi SS
May I ask
What do you do to clean your coppers..Those dog tags ECT.They look great :Y:

I just use the ss ball bearings that came with it, but only half of them and i only use the number 2 setting with the dual rotation setting. :Y:
Wishfull said:
Hey SS what material do you put in your tumbler with your coins is it like walnut shells or don't you put anything else in ?

Secret Squirrels said:
Depends on what look i'm after or what shape the coppers are in Smoky bandit. This lot just got a detergent/toothbrush prewash then popped into the tumbler, but you have to keep a very close eye on it and only tumble for a short period if you want the patina left on. :Y: I generally tumble for ten mins then change the water and flush well, i think the cross only got twenty mins but the 1912 dog tag got 50 mins. they all vary on timing, and changing and flushing stops the brown copper solution from recontaminating the finds and making them blotchy/unattractive. i find the cleaning as much a challenge and as exciting as the hunt. ]:D hope this helps mate.
Smoky bandit said:
Hi SS
May I ask
Ok cheers mate.. i must be tumbling for to long as mine come out like new ones...I like the look of the darker tones around the lettering on yours..Cheers I'll give it a go on my next load of pennies :D :Y:

Smoky bandit said:
Secret Squirrels said:
Smoky bandit said:
Hi SS
May I ask
Ok cheers mate.. i must be tumbling for to long as mine come out like new ones...I like the look of the darker tones around the lettering on yours..Cheers I'll give it a go on my next load of pennies :D :Y:
Next load of pennies - what you sluicing pre-dec bearing pay dirt now smoky :p

Haha not quite mate..but I have not been on PA for the last 6 months or so...and in that 1/2 year I have found over 60 pennies and 96 silvers ...I still have about 30 pennies /half pennies to tumble.. :D :Y:

Also i treat them when finished with a product called Dermeze, this rehydrates them and seals them from oxidisation it also highlights the darker tones. ;)
Smoky bandit said:
Secret Squirrels said:
Smoky bandit said:
Hi SS
May I ask

Secret Squirrels said:
Also i treat them when finished with a product called Dermeze, this rehydrates them and seals them from oxidisation it also highlights the darker tones. ;)
Smoky bandit said:
Secret Squirrels said:
Smoky bandit said:
Hi SS
May I ask
that's the info I was after ..Cheers mate. :Y:

Go Hard Or Go Home :p

1518746755_2018-02-16_11.15.52.jpg
1518746788_2018-02-16_10.31.32.jpg
1518746811_2018-02-16_10.54.20.jpg
1518746827_2018-02-16_10.56.27.jpg

Non metal,light weight and comfy as all get out. :D

They got shock absorbers in them Dan :D + breathable bamboo lining, great upper ankle support and zippers so you only have to lace them up once :Y: They feel really good on and that is saying something with my feet :p comfy shoes/boots are so hard for me to find.
Danny13 said:
Bluntsones, they look the goods SS :Y:

A place here called YP AG, so any rural/farm supply shop or any blundstone retailer and they can order them in if they don't have them. Mine took 3 days to arrive + a surcharge for a single ordered item = $168, i think you can get them online for around $145 but then you got postage and miss out on the local return benefits if there is a problem. Normal blunnies are around the $125 mark nowadays.

Style #297 :Y:

http://www.blundstone.com.au/mens-or-womens-black-work-and-safety-boots-style-297

Secret Squirrels said:
A place here called YP AG, so any rural/farm supply shop or any blundstone retailer and they can order them in if they don't have them. Mine took 3 days to arrive + a surcharge for a single ordered item = $168, i think you can get them online for around $145 but then you got postage and miss out on the local return benefits if there is a problem. Normal blunnies are around the $125 mark nowadays.

Style #297 :Y:

http://www.blundstone.com.au/mens-or-womens-black-work-and-safety-boots-style-297
On my to purchase list SS

Latest posts