Garrett Ace 300i information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
How do we feel about this detector?

Considering returning my hunk of junk go find 60 for one.

I recently purchased one - have done around 15hrs with it on varied terrain including beach.

I personally can't compare it to other machines but I did research the living christ out of the sub $500 market and this swinger kept popping up.

On wet sand (after excessive rain) I have found ten million targets at my local beach in Sandringham - I consistently hit old pull-tab tongues (tiny) as low as 25cm which drives me nuts yet demonstrates that the unit is both accurate and effective.

For what I paid, it's a cracker.

The 400i while a little more expensive ($150) has the iron audio feature which does come in handy.

Depends if you're a dig everything type of guy, I think the depth of both 300i and 400i are very similar from what I can tell.

Absolute solid machines are the ace series though

Hi all, i had a question for any 300i users (400s too i guess)

What settings do you usually use for coin/ relic hunting in parks etc out of interest?

Ive only had mine for a few weeks and still learning the machine and i usually just have it on "Relic" mode with all but 2 bars of sensitivity. That way i can still hear the lower tones as i have found that some junk jumps all over the place and if i hear lower and higher tones in the same spot i normally dont dig.
I guess i could be missing some stuff that has a coin and junk together?

I have also started to wear my headphones around my neck so i can still hear the tones but it isnt loud enough to annoy anyone and I dont get sweaty ears by wearing them, and I can also be more aware of my surrounding.

Any feedback is welcome. How do you set yours up?

silver said:
Basically just an Ace 250 with numbers hey.

True, but I would still like some feedback regarding what settings people here use in the real world, that they have the best results with. Some tips really. :)

"Coin mode" removing one bar of descrimination from the pull tab/junk high tone range I am a bit hesitant using as I could be missing some rings etc? Or is it worth using this mode also is another question.