Transporting your detector and coils

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tassie Daz

Darryl Rowley
Reaction score
Hi all. I've long been concerned about how to travel with a detector. Don't get me wrong, we've travelled along way around this country but always been concerned about chucking detector in the boot and heading off. How do you all travel with yourdetectors and coils? what special things do you do to keep them in tiptop condition.

I once saw the Coiltek guys putting their 5000's on a bed of foam to protect the control box. Given they are very precise instruments they need to be looked after so what precautions do you take.

Hey Daz how ya goin?
I've always used padded keyboard bags like these:
https://www.swamp.net.au/keyboard-cases/
There are similar ones on eBay too sometimes cheaper. Theres an extra zipped pocket on them for bits n pieces as well.
Around control boxes I use some extra foam padding too.
Lay out your detector as you would pack it up to work out the size you need + some room for coils etc. I go with the bigger ones so I can leave the detector as close to set up, ready to go as possible but boot space may dictate a smaller size?
Double D Leather also make a range of good bags:
https://doubledleather.com.au/index.php?route=product/product&path=18&product_id=77
In the vehicle I make sure that the bag can't move around - in the dual cab canopy I use some straps to secure the bag to the tub. The bags come with eyelets for carry straps that I use.
The other option for the GPX is the hard cases from Solar Gold:
http://r.ebay.com/59ywo8

I carefully and strategically pack the 2300 next to the 7000 so the generator doesn't bounce and wreck the 7000's control box.

The jack hammer chizel end and my pick holds the fronts of both the 7000 and the 2300 firmly in place so I don't lose them out of the tray when the ute hits an anthill.

madtuna said:
I carefully and strategically pack the 2300 next to the 7000 so the generator doesn't bounce and wreck the 7000's control box.

The jack hammer chizel end and my pick holds the fronts of both the 7000 and the 2300 firmly in place so I don't lose them out of the tray when the ute hits an anthill.

I think you're being a bit over cautious with your method here... from this post, you really do come across as a bit of an obsessive-compulsive worry-wart, who may also use too much cotton wool in every day life.

I bought one of those GPX cases from Solar Gold Aust and really like it, I have the 11" mono and 14 x 9 evo on shafts in there not connected to the upper shaft, also fit battery, hip stick, cables, hats, knee pads and other bits n pieces, all nice and snug.
My 15" mono and 15" dd are on shafts which I keep in a padded DD Leather detector bag, coil at each end with shafts facing each other and my harness in the middle, works well and offers good protection.

I bought a Peli waterproof Gun type case for long trips, It is waterproof and it floats and is dust proof and lockable, I also use them for all my optical equipment as do Militaries around the world.

J.

madtuna said:

Ute? What happened to the Land Rover Steve? :eek:

Cheers

Doug

Hi Mbasko. Im going ok. been out of action for some time not because Im crook but because the MIL isnt fairing too well and MrsTD doesnt want to venture far. We were over in Vict 2 yrs ago and came home early and then last yr got to slip up to the Flinders for a week or so and was called home again.
But I think Mrs TD has decided were going this time so .........hopefully April is it.

Life mate seems to be getting in tge way.

Used to have that problem, but MIL is now in a nursing home (not sure she knows where she is :) )

Re the detector, coils - on the back seat or floor area usually on top of other bags.

What's more important to me, is to not leave them in the car overnight, they come into the van with me.

They being the top half of the 5000 and the SDC complete. I leave the coils in the car, yes they can get stolen, but a few hundred $$$ loss is better than $10k :)

Tassie Daz said:
Hi Mbasko. Im going ok. been out of action for some time not because Im crook but because the MIL isnt fairing too well and MrsTD doesnt want to venture far. We were over in Vict 2 yrs ago and came home early and then last yr got to slip up to the Flinders for a week or so and was called home again.
But I think Mrs TD has decided were going this time so .........hopefully April is it.

Life mate seems to be getting in tge way.
No good Daz. Hopefully ya's get a chance to get away soon.
Life has a habit of doing that to us all.

Rockhunter62 said:
madtuna said:

Ute? What happened to the Land Rover Steve? :eek:

Cheers

Doug

The landy is a ute Doug! :Y:

Thanks for the transport ideas. Im super concerned when we travel to Vict. You travel 800 to 1000ks to get where you want to go....the last thing you want is to find the detector wont talk to you when you fire it up. Happened last year with the ATX. Its ok nowafter some work but I had to go out and buy a 4500 so the trip wasnt a total waste of time.

And Ifound gold with the new machine too so all wss good.