Fake Fisher Gold Bug Pro detectors - be aware!

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all, I have been looking to upgrade to the gold bug 2 for a while now and was about to buy one off ebay AU as they are cheap. BUT... I am aware that china is copying detectors like Minelab and Garrett and I don't want to buy a fake. It just seems too cheap on ebay ($618 delivered).

Also, I like prospecting for coins as well as for gold. Is the gold bug pro any good for relics and coins? I am not after the best, I just don't want a dedicated gold machine.

The ones on eBay for $618 are fakes. Be very wary of any on eBay that aren't sold by authorised Fisher dealers & used ones too. Don't buy used unless a dealers invoice can be produced.

The REAL Fisher Gold Bug Pro (19khz) is a great all round detector for relics & coins etc. Will pick up gold in the right areas too.
http://www.detectorprospector.com/g...fisher-gold-bug-pro-nugget-metal-detector.htm
The REAL Gold Bug 2 wouldn't be so good as a coin/relic detector. It is a 71khz machine aimed at gold detecting tiny bits of gold.
http://www.detectorprospector.com/g...t/fisher-gold-bug-2-nugget-metal-detector.htm

Personally I would recommend the Gold Bug Pro or DP for a new user as an all rounder. They are a good detector & can be picked up cheaply used - with due diligence.

Thanks for the quick reply. I am glad I asked about the ebay ones. I was pretty close to buying one from there!

I read that the only difference between the Gold bug Pro and the Gold bug DP is the coil? Also, you say they will find gold in the right areas. I was planning to do my prospecting in Bendigo/Heathcote VIC, and I am told that it is highly mineralised soil up there.

1968falconxt said:
Hi all, I have been looking to upgrade to the gold bug 2 for a while now and was about to buy one off ebay AU as they are cheap. BUT... I am aware that china is copying detectors like Minelab and Garrett and I don't want to buy a fake. It just seems too cheap on ebay ($618 delivered).

These are fakes, you will not end up with a detector that looks like the one in the picture, they aren't Fisher Labs products and probably won't work.

We are the only Authorised Dealer in Victoria for Fisher products at the time of writing and one of three in Australia.

You can see current Authorised Dealers for Fisher at this link

The difference between a Gold Bug DP and a Gold Bug Pro is mainly in the coil provided.

The Gold Bug Pro package, rather than the Gold Bug DP, is probably the best bet for Heathcote/Bendigo. The small coil is very good on small nuggets and specimens. The machine is good for relics also, however if you're concentrating on relics you might want an additional larger coil.

1968falconxt said:
Thanks for the quick reply. I am glad I asked about the ebay ones. I was pretty close to buying one from there!

I read that the only difference between the Gold bug Pro and the Gold bug DP is the coil? Also, you say they will find gold in the right areas. I was planning to do my prospecting in Bendigo/Heathcote VIC, and I am told that it is highly mineralised soil up there.
Yes the Gold Bug Pro has a 5" round coil & the DP has an 11"x6" elliptical coil. Wouldn't matter which one you got as you can get Fisher accessory coils & aftermarket coils to suit different applications. For example if you got the Pro with 5" coil you could get the Fisher 11" elliptical, Fisher 10"x5" or Detech have an aftermarket 10"x5" elliptical too. One of these would cover your bases pretty well to start out with.
I would think that the Pro/DP would be better in highly mineralised soil but having not used one there can't say for sure how it would go? Mine was ok around my local area in NSW but IMO most VLF type detectors are better used in milder ground. With experience though good ground balancing machines can do ok in harsher areas too. Basically the higher the frequency the more reactive to mineralisation it will be & can be harder to use. A lot of VLF's can be quite "chatty" on the goldfields which can put some people off if not able to get it running well.
There are a lot of options out there like Whites MXT too but the Gold Bug Pro/DP is a nice place to start in a versatile detector.

1968falconxt said:

The Fisher Gold Bug Pro Combo Metal Detector with 5" DD & 10" DD Search Coils is probably the best value for money.

You get two coils for not much more than the Gold Bug Pro itself.

The Gold Bug Pro is fine in quite mineralised ground. Once you're used to the detector you'll be hitting targets in no time.

Thanks heaps for the info guys. I am so glad I did not impulse buy off ebay... I will be looking for a good 2nd hand GB Pro. Failing that, I will buy one from a dealer.

1968falconxt said:
Thanks heaps for the info guys. I am so glad I did not impulse buy off ebay... I will be looking for a good 2nd hand GB Pro. Failing that, I will buy one from a dealer.

If you're going to buy second hand it would be a good idea to check the serial number before handing over cash. Some of the fakes look identical to the real thing with different electronics inside. You can call us with a serial number and we can confirm whether it's real - takes about 24 hours.

Hi there all.

Would just like to confirm the information provided above about the fake Gold Bug pros on Ebay. Wish I had read it earlier.

I am guilty of poor judgement and followed through on my impulse purchase of one of the fake GBpros without researching first.

It was supposed to be my introduction to prospecting.

5b4de5b3b672e_GoldBugProSeriallocation.PNG.f069bcd4f2af423ea27e35809d853d50.PNG

5b4de1e48772c_20180717_1611501.thumb.jpg.f810fd3af70f5c67129c39d3dd9a3605.jpg

5b4de1fb9ea80_20180717_1611261.thumb.jpg.1159c4de6a796e3639fa2971e4b92576.jpg

Box it arrived in was for a Gold Bug not the pro.

The face of the display was as for a Gold Bug Pro. There was no serial number in the battery compartment as per the above excerpt from the Fisher user manual.

I am starting the EBAY disputes process now and have also reported the seller for selling counterfeit product.

At the time of writing this the seller had sold 41 of these fake detectors over $20k worth.

The damage this must do to the original companies.

I kick my self for the impulse purchase and not doing my due dilligence first.

I think I will give prospecting a miss after this is sorted.

Annoying thing is that ebay sponsors some of these listed sellers of counterfeit detectors, which essentially means the are condoning counterfeiting. I guess money talks at the end of the day, just avoid any Chinese sellers posting up supposed US made detectors, as they are most likely made in China. I hope Ebay refund your money and do the right thing by you.

Hydrocarbon said:
Hi there all.

Would just like to confirm the information provided above about the fake Gold Bug pros on Ebay. Wish I had read it earlier.

I am guilty of poor judgement and followed through on my impulse purchase of one of the fake GBpros without researching first.

It was supposed to be my introduction to prospecting.

https://prospecting.net.au/uploads/...tion.PNG.f069bcd4f2af423ea27e35809d853d50.PNG

https://prospecting.net.au/uploads/...humb.jpg.f810fd3af70f5c67129c39d3dd9a3605.jpg

https://prospecting.net.au/uploads/...humb.jpg.1159c4de6a796e3639fa2971e4b92576.jpg

Box it arrived in was for a Gold Bug not the pro.

The face of the display was as for a Gold Bug Pro. There was no serial number in the battery compartment as per the above excerpt from the Fisher user manual.

I am starting the EBAY disputes process now and have also reported the seller for selling counterfeit product.

At the time of writing this the seller had sold 41 of these fake detectors over $20k worth.

The damage this must do to the original companies.

I kick my self for the impulse purchase and not doing my due dilligence first.

I think I will give prospecting a miss after this is sorted.

Don't let thieves ruin the hobby for you, when you get your money back contact Maldon Gold Centre and deal with someone you can trust,

These scammers do not represent the hobby far from it, Deal with a good Aussie dealer and know you done the right thing,

good luck, hope it gets sorted soon,

Heatho said:
I just changed the heading to fake so people can read up on them and hopefully not purchase any.

I appreciate the interest and hope that my entries also help others not to make my mistake.

Another line that might help with google searches is "Best metal detector for beginners BEWARE OF FAKES AND COUNTERFEITS"

To get a refund I have to lodge a dispute on EBAY.

The only way to lodge a dispute on EBAY for the purchase that I could find was for "items that aren't as described" and involves requesting a return.

The seller has agreed to the return and provided me with a return address in Regent Park Sydney.

I am loath to return the detector for them to push off to the next sucker like me but cant afford the hit in the hip pocket either.

I have also reported the seller using the report button on the listing but somehow don't expect much will come from it.

Any further advise?

Hydrocarbon said:
Any further advise?

Yeah get your money back first and then search for the seller for the next few months on ebay and hit the report button every time you come across one of their adverts and every time you find one post it here on this thread to warn others,

Good luck.

J.

When you use the report function there is warning from EBAY about making reports without justification.

In this case I have justification and evidence.

I will be able to open the case for EBAY to get involved tomorrow.

I had an online chat with EBAY today.

In the first instance they indicated that I should return it as the seller has agreed to the return.

I informed them that a return request was the the only way I could open a formal dispute.
That the seller is based in China and using an Australian location as a proxy.
I also informed EBAY that it was illegal for me to use Australia post to convey illegal goods.

I have also sent a brief description of my plight and a link to the sellers listing and the return address given to me by the seller to Fisher Labs in the US if they wish to act on the information.

Well EBAY's position is to send it back.

They asked for a OEM report to indicate it is counterfeit.

I indicated that OE manufacturer is in US and is likely to destroy item if sent there. Also indicated illegal to send in post.

I indicated to EBAY that a local OE distributor can verify validity from serial number in battery compartment and that there is no serial number in battery compartment = Fake/counterfeit. Photo of this was sent to seller. This is also supported by the OE user manual.

They challenged me to provide evidence that it is illegal to post.

They insist on sending it back even when I suggest to them the seller is likely to on sell to another EBAY customer.

The process appears to be unnecessarily burdensome and difficult to make a stand against counterfeiters. Like I mentioned previously - to make a claim against counterfeiters you are directed to agree to a return. Once returned then I guess they would then conclude the case closed and no need to take further action.

Does anyone have any useful links regarding illegality of counterfeit items and use of postal service to convey them by any chance?