Help to identify this stone, please?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My dad gave me this stone about 12 years ago now, and we were never sure what it was. I thought it might be some kind of clear green quartz, but from what I remember him telling me, a man found it in the Northern Territory or Western Australia, and I read that clear green quartz is mainly found in Brazil.

I would say the stone feels rather light for it's size. It's overall very glossy, almost like glass, with some fractured looking areas. There are a few deep fissures, that have dirt (or something similar) caught inside, and white cauliflower looking blooms all the way through. I wasn't able to get a good picture of light shining through, but there's a big mass of white clearly visible anyway. There are also "lines" that run along it, all in one direction. It's more noticeable on one side, and that side is duller. The lines look almost carved in.

With ruler for size reference:
1384211322_002.jpg

LED light, the best I could do to show the transparency:
1384211621_003.jpg

The rough side of the stone:
1384211692_005.jpg

It looks very similar to this picture of clear green quartz, mined from Brazil (according to Wikipedia):
1384211865_001.jpg

Thanks for reading, and I hope someone can recognize what I've got here!

Without being able to see it in person. It does look a lot like olivene and of some nice size.
It is normally found within volcanic rock. (old magma)
Hope this helps you on your quest to find out what it is.

Thank you! I had wondered if it might be that, but I had no idea if it could form in big chunks like this. The colour definitely looks right, though. It would be cool if this is olivine, because peridot is my favourite stone :D

WalnLiz said:
Looks very much like Apatite from the Mud Tank region of the Northern Territory. ;)

Cheers Wal.

cheers Wal; I didn't even think of that, but without seeing it, its hard to tell from the photos sometimes

There you go Kelly, it is most likely Apatite, coz Wal is smart :p and had a think about the photo, before commenting :lol:
unlike me who didn't think outside the box on what else it could of been ;)

WalnLiz said:
Looks very much like Apatite from the Mud Tank region of the Northern Territory. ;)

Cheers Wal.

Thanks a lot, Wal :D

I had a bit of a read about it, and that sounds like what I've got. Apparently this stone has long been confused for others, like olivine. Explains a bit ^_^ Some of the colour variations are amazing.

Quick edit - No worries, XIV. As you said, it's really hard to know for sure from pictures alone (and fuzzy ones at that)! Ultimately, it doesn't really matter what it is, because it's pretty, regardless. I was just really curious.