Rock/Gemstone identification help

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paperboy

Geoff
Reaction score
Can anyone identify what this is, as its quite heavy for its size, light does penetrate it if I hold a torch to it, I found it at Grabben Gullen on Sunday.
1382959238_image.jpg

joe said:
could be barite if its from GG
Thanks Joe, your the only one who's responded. I checked some images of Barite on the net, doesnt look like anything from the internet pictures. Just making sure its not a yellow sapphire. I'm still trying to find my own Joe sapphire mine :( we found a few small ones on Sunday. My young fella and I are going back up on Sunday, I've got some other spots I'd like to try.
Geoff

Paperboy said:
joe said:
could be barite if its from GG
Thanks Joe, your the only one who's responded. I checked some images of Barite on the net, doesnt look like anything from the internet pictures. Just making sure its not a yellow sapphire. I'm still trying to find my own Joe sapphire mine :( we found a few small ones on Sunday. My young fella and I are going back up on Sunday, I've got some other spots I'd like to try.
Geoff

My Analyses is concluded as follows. Note I did say it could be :) from the picture it does not look like a sapphire.
Area GG, Description (heavy weight) and picture (photo) yes its round and must have been in some rock hole getting tumbled for a very long time.
Barite is well-known for its great range of colors and varied crystal forms and habits. It is an immensely popular mineral among collectors. Barite is easily identifiable by its heavy weight, since most similar minerals are much lighter.
Colorless, white, yellow, orange, red, pink, purple, brown, blue, geen, gray, and black. May also be multicolored.

Area of GG has following minerals
1383088964_c1.png

Impressive list Joe :)

Have to catch up with you again sometime I am in town.

At present staying close to home because of the bush fires 2km away.
Will not be happy till we get a week of solid rain on the mountains.
Counted all up 3 red bellies and one brown that tried to join us in the creek 12th 13th of this month.

jimnyjerry said:

Counted all up 3 red bellies and one brown that tried to join us in the creek 12th 13th of this month.

Hi Jerry, good to hear from you mate. Ive read the full report that Calx.. wrote LOL from your recent trip (three parts and over 3 pages long) with unicorns, snakes, claim jumping and navigation skills. :D
Yes, Im still around (but moved) you can PM me if your around.

joe said:
jimnyjerry said:

Hi Jerry, good to hear from you mate. Ive read the full report that Calx.. wrote LOL from your recent trip (three parts and over 3 pages long) with unicorns, snakes, claim jumping and navigation skills. :D
Yes, Im still around (but moved) you can PM me if your around.

Hope you're ok re: fires

Thanks Joe,
I appreciate your help and time, and thanks for that list, any ideas what I should do with the Barite? can it be cut or polished etc?
regards
Geoff

G'day paperboy,I have a nice blue sapphire from GG,the top of this blue about 1/4 of the little beauty is green and yellow(it looks the same as your pic) so unless mine is a mix?I don't think it is myself .
So maybe yours is a sapphire :)

Anyone have any ideas what I should do with this Barite? or sapphire? still don't know exactly what it actually is, can it be cut or polished etc?
regards
Geoff

1384296837_photo.jpg

Latest posts