The SETA Project DVD

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Thought I'd start a thread on this for anyone currently debating buying a GP3000, GP3500, GPX4000 or spending the extra and getting a GPX4500.
I stumbled across the recommendations for this video via G0lddigg@ in another thread, ordered it last week and it arrived today and I've just finished watching the 2 disks (3hrs worth).

I had been debating for some time whether to buy an older GP series or bite the bullet and get the new 4500 and now after watching the SETA Project DVD I feel very happy with the decision I made late last year getting my 4500.
For anyone who hasn't seen it but interested, it outlines the differences between the above mentioned models, particularly the 3500, 4000 and 4500, it goes through the whole menu of the 4500 and outlines some very useful settings for out in the field and is well worth the purchase price of the dvd's.
I now have a much better understanding of the functions & settings on my 4500 as well as a couple of handy presets for mono and DD coils to try out next trip.

I recently purchased a new GPX4500 and have used it a few times mainly on factory settings and had success with 2 small nuggets which I'm stoked with so far but after watching the dvd's I feel even more confident to chose the right settings and coil to suit the conditions of the day.

Basically, anyone that's contemplating buying a second hand Minelab PI fron SD, GP or GPX it's worth buying the SETA Project DVD to watch first before you decide what to hand your hard earned over for.
http://outbackprospector.com.au/jonathan-porter-outback-prospector-gold-metal-detecting-gpx4500-dvd/

Glad I saw the recommendation for this dvd from G0lddigg@ and I might be late to the party on this I just thought I'd highlight it for others who may benefit as there is always new posts asking the question of what to buy :Y: .

Cheers.

P.S. The end of the dvd is particularly moving if you're a dog lover like me, a dedication to JP's mate Digit, had me a little emotional but a fantastic way to end the show.

Great post Mate, I too was having a hard decision in choosing a used 4000 or buying a new 4500. I watched some of the SETA project on YouTube and together with other helpful advice on here I bought a new 4500. :) :Y:

Just found this post, thanks everyone for the feedback, it's nice to know the videos are still helpful after all this time. One thing of note though, since the release of the new flat wound coils I recommend running the Gain around Factory Preset (FP for the General Search mode) and also using the Audio Filter on Normal rather than deep, this allows those types of coils to run smooth and stable in saturable and salty ground.

Also since after being exposed to more modern electronics in the form of the GPZ 7000 I highly recommend users to start experimenting with running higher Stabilizer settings over the FP of 10 for more depth performance. The Stabilizer is a filter that impacts on the noise floor of the detector basically making the threshold sound more pleasant but to do so is filtering out good target information. The higher the Stabilizer number the lower the noise floor which means more depth, assuming the EMI and Sferic noise is not too great. Gradually increase the Stabilizer one point at a time up to as high as 15 (I've been running 15 on the 4500 quite happily during training sessions using Evolution and Elite coils), you will notice the audio has more presence and elevated volume so you will need to back off/trim the Target Volume to compensate on the increase in threshold volume.

JP

Jonathan Porter said:
(I've been running 15 on the 4500 quite happily during training sessions using Evolution and Elite coils),

JP

Jonathan good advice so running 15 on the 4500 in Enhance with the flat wound coils then would Fine Gold on the 5000 require less stabilizer with the flat wound coils?