Tuena NSW Camping Information and Questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nope I think the highbankers were simply more as it is that sort of place.
Don't think it would ever get too noisy.
It is a beautiful place to camp and have a fossick.

Anolphart said:
GaryO said:
The place would be a lot quiter than usual id imagine without the constant high banker groups staying.
But even when its relatively busy there is always room to set up and enjoy your space. In the unlikely event you cant get on a powered site its fine to piggy back of someone elese if you have a lead, but pay the right amount though $.
Money is paid at the general store/ pub/ bottle o, and they also supply basic groceries, frozen meat ,bread, milk and ice etc.
Great little town :) :Y:

Oh by the way .. showers are coin operated and 1 buck for 3 minutes .

Hmmm, are you suggesting that the high banker crowd are rowdy in the park or are they just noisy whilst they're using their high bankers in the creek?

My van is pretty well set up for self sufficient living, but sometimes it can be nice to run a heater on a winter's night.

I'm looking forward to checking it out.

No i just mean quiter there as in less people . :)

BUSHFIRE ALERT ,, with the electrical storms out west near Bathurst there are a few fires burning, a large one out near Hill End and another at Trunkey Creek, looked at the Rural Fire Service website today "fires near me" and there are a few out Bathurst way now , can one survive a bushfire front, I think only if your in a fire proof bunker with an air supply, bush fires travel at 50 to 100 kph that's fast, dropping burning embers in its pathway, so in the heat , there firefront has an already burning front to fuel it, did you know that the radiant heat is what kills you , picture this the fire front is coming roaring like an out of control express train say 80 kph you look up and see the flames approaching, you have time to make a crow call , then your dead, the radiant heat can kill you at nearly 200 metres , 40,000 watts thats a lot of heat , I did not mention the smoke , the only safe place is a bunker with air or no where near the fire front, jump into a dam or stream, can you breathe underwater and will the dam or stream water boil, and the car will be like an oven, 40 degrees up to 300 degrees for 3 minutes thats what you have to think about to survive whats your plan if you get caught out ?

the only positive result from a bushfire is the ground cover is gone so it will be a good area for detecting

Just wondering if anybody has used a satphone out at Tuena that runs on one of the geostationary networks like Thuraya or Inmarsat?

I know an Iridium phone would most likely be ok, but I can get hold of a Thuraya Satsleeve unit much more easily.

Cheers,
JD

bundyjd said:
Just wondering if anybody has used a satphone out at Tuena that runs on one of the geostationary networks like Thuraya or Inmarsat?

I know an Iridium phone would most likely be ok, but I can get hold of a Thuraya Satsleeve unit much more easily.

Cheers,
JD

Thuraya covers the entirety of Australia.

So I'd go with a Sat Sleeve. It's what I use.

Maldon Gold Centre said:
bundyjd said:

Cheers,
JD

Thuraya covers the entirety of Australia.

So I'd go with a Sat Sleeve. It's what I use.

Thanks, the only issue with Thuraya is that Tuena is surrounded by hills and I'm not sure if the phone will be able to see the right bit of sky where the fixed satellite is (over Sumatra from memory). If I have to climb a hill to use it I may as well just use Telstra 3G.

With Iridium I could just wait until the next satellite comes over at worst, but I don't really want to use a work phone if I can avoid it.

bundyjd said:
Thanks, the only issue with Thuraya is that Tuena is surrounded by hills and I'm not sure if the phone will be able to see the right bit of sky where the fixed satellite is (over Sumatra from memory). If I have to climb a hill to use it I may as well just use Telstra 3G.

With Iridium I could just wait until the next satellite comes over at worst, but I don't really want to use a work phone if I can avoid it.

I've never experienced a problem and I've had good coverage in some pretty steep gullies and hilly regions eg: Grampians

You only need a view West North West /North at around 25 to 50 degrees above the horizon depending on where in Australia you are. That's a very big bit of the sky even in hilly terrain.

Thanks, if it needed to be closer to 25 degrees in that location it could be a problem, which is why I was hoping somebody might have used one there.

Are you using a Satsleeve+?

Be aware also that Sat phones still have black spots ................. not guaranteed. Had a bloke air lifted out of Vic forest injured trail riding and was chatting to the pilot of the Medivac chopper. Was actually surprised to learn that even in the chopper that they were experiencing loss of reception in certain areas. :)

Whatever the final decision go with an 04 number if you wish to use apart from in an emergency situation, as otherwise anyone that calls you will need to sell their first born to pay the bill :eek: Pivotel 04 number at $15 a month plus calls is best I have found. That way it's affordable to always have.

I have been with iridium for 7 years with a 9555 phone...can't fault them.
Yeah the mobile numbers are really good on the sat phones. In my experience most emergencies happen at home and now everyone with a unlimited mobile plan can call me for no cost. Only normal mobile rates apply to calls to my sat phone. While monthly plans have only gone down a little over the years, the wifey can ring and chat for ages for free while I'm in the wilds for a couple months.
Cheers RDD

Saw a post on FB that the Lachlan Shire Council has closed the Tuena camping area.

I haven't been able to confirm, but it would be a good idea to ring the shop before heading over there.

I think all council grounds will close, just as all NP and Forestry. Have to look for private camps. Reality is State Govs don't want people moving around with the possibility of carrying COVID to small country towns and communities etc.

I hate it but have to admit it makes sense as there are still people out there who don't care about the potential impact :mad:

Just go a general info email from Family Parks:

UPDATE FROM FAMILY PARKS

Times are tough for us all at the moment, we are all devastated by the impact of COVID-19. Following the recent government updates, in particular, the advice around non-essential travel, we wanted to let you all know the changes we have made in order to look after our holiday park owners, staff, and guests. Most Family Parks remain open to provide essential travel to those in need and provide a safe space for those who need access to holiday parks. Therefore, all of our holiday parks have had to make the difficult decision to no longer accept bookings or arrivals for non-essential travel at this time - in line with the advice from government. This has also meant that parks have needed to close almost all communal facilities, e.g. Toilet/Shower blocks.

What is essential travel?

It is our understanding that essential travel includes travel that is related to:
necessary activities for work purposes,
essential accommodation while stopping at one location during a current road trip,
travel on compassionate grounds and
travel required to return to your place of residence.
For all guests who are needing to stay at a Family Park over the coming weeks and months, we will be supporting and encouraging social-distancing and hygiene measures, for the safety of you and others. This way, we will be in the best place to be able to reopen for non-essential/leisure travel as soon as we are permitted.

More tough times for many of the small communities we visit and buy our supplies from, as if they haven't been through enough already with the Fires!! :(

Dihusky said:
Just go a general info email from Family Parks:

UPDATE FROM FAMILY PARKS

Times are tough for us all at the moment, we are all devastated by the impact of COVID-19. Following the recent government updates, in particular, the advice around non-essential travel, we wanted to let you all know the changes we have made in order to look after our holiday park owners, staff, and guests. Most Family Parks remain open to provide essential travel to those in need and provide a safe space for those who need access to holiday parks. Therefore, all of our holiday parks have had to make the difficult decision to no longer accept bookings or arrivals for non-essential travel at this time - in line with the advice from government. This has also meant that parks have needed to close almost all communal facilities, e.g. Toilet/Shower blocks.

What is essential travel?

It is our understanding that essential travel includes travel that is related to:
necessary activities for work purposes,
essential accommodation while stopping at one location during a current road trip,
travel on compassionate grounds and
travel required to return to your place of residence.
For all guests who are needing to stay at a Family Park over the coming weeks and months, we will be supporting and encouraging social-distancing and hygiene measures, for the safety of you and others. This way, we will be in the best place to be able to reopen for non-essential/leisure travel as soon as we are permitted.

More tough times for many of the small communities we visit and buy our supplies from, as if they haven't been through enough already with the Fires!! :(
yeah reflections parks have done the same, what really surprised me is with all the country towns going through drought, bushfires and really tuff times, and the amount of Australians that still gone over sea's for their holidays :mad:

A few of us are heading to Tuena this weekend and are wondering if it is possible to have open fires.