Safety Equipment and training

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all,

Ive recently moved to Melbourne from the UK and just started gold panning.

I went to a creek not far from the City in Warrandyte and found my first tiny piece of gold. I also found a small tiger snake coming towards me about 1m away. I naturally 5hit myself and ran away, which ive since learnt is the wrong thing to do.

I've since been back to the same spot twice (admittedly upstream and closer to my car) and haven't found any gold or snakes.

It did get me thinking about safety though. In my naiviety, I honestly didnt think there would be snakes that close to the city. I didn't grow up with these kinds of dangers so I really am in the dark.

I want to go further afield than the outskirts of Melbourne eventually, and i know i can't do this unprepared. Although im still not entirely sure of the definition of 'the bush'. Is this just anywhere outside of towns and cities?

In my backpack i carry the following along with prospecting gear:

- small survival kit from anaconda which contains the standard items you get in survival kits such as fire lighters, fishing line, fishing hook, etc. I may take some items out and replace them with more relevant items.
- leatherman mutlitool - knife, saw, pliers, etc.
- binoculaurs
- 2x 1ltr water bottles
- cigarettes and lighter (needed these to slow my heart down after seeing the tiger snake)
- compass
- work mobile phone on seperate network to my personal phone.
- Miners Right Permit
- insect repellant
- sunscreen
- glasses as i wear contacts so if they come out for whatever reason i can see. Properly blind without them.
- thick builders gloves
- 3m length of rope
- 2 or 3 Carabiners
- Gopro camera

Clothing:

- Lately ive been in my work gear which is building site attire - thick canvas combats, long sleeved high vis shirt. On the weekend i would probably wear jeans and a t shirt
- footwear was walking boots, however ive since brought gummy boots as i heard they provide some protection from snakes and also keep your feet dry although not heavy and not great to walk in.

On my shopping list i want to get the following:
- Snake Bite First Aid Kit
- Personal First Aid Kit
- Gaiters
- thick combat trousers for weekend prospecting
- topography maps of areas i am going to

Also i have a work ute but its not a 4x4. Hilux workmate, so the lowered version of the normal hilux. Im not planning on going offroad in it, but last weekend i went up to Castlemaine and the Satnav took me on a dirt road that it didnt like. Made it fine but its not great at it.

Is there anything else i might need? Im not planning on going more than 200-300 meters from the car until im comfortable with what im doing and i am more properly prepared.

Thanks in advance for your replies. This forum is really helpful to us new blokes.

7.62marksman said:
I think you have most thing covered
Maybe so sort of mirror for signaling and something that is bright and flashes for night time if lost

I forgot to include my headtorch and handheld torch in that list. The survival kit also has a mirror in it. I've wanted one for years, it was really cheap from Anconda in the Jan sales so worth buying. Also got a titanium spork for a few dollars.

Tell somebody where youre going, how long youll be there, when youll be back. Make sure theyre clear about when/what to do and/or who to contact if you dont come back.

I mark on a map where I plan to park the car and the areas Ill be working or exploring. If Im not quite sure, I mark my route on the map.

My survival gear consists of a bottle of water, a can of beans and some dunny paper. If the weather is cold, Ill add a jacket and beanie.

TheMediocritist said:
Tell somebody where youre going, how long youll be there, when youll be back. Make sure theyre clear about when/what to do and/or who to contact if you dont come back.

I mark on a map where I plan to park the car and the areas Ill be working or exploring. If Im not quite sure, I mark my route on the map.

My survival gear consists of a bottle of water, a can of beans and some dunny paper. If the weather is cold, Ill add a jacket and beanie.

I carry warm gear always the way weather changes in the place you least expect it to can make things uncomfortable :N:. Madtuna hit the nail on the head "Common Sense" not only applies to when your at your intended destination. In planning your destination through research will help you gear up, better to be over prepared than under this way you can take things off a list rather than wish you'd given consideration to them. As far as being new to our country do yourself the biggest favour and join a club :Y:. Interact with like minded people and learn from theirs and your experience by going out with them on day and weekend adventures. YOU'VE ASKED THE RIGHT QUESTION with regards to your local knowledge :Y:. There's so many variables regarding right or wrong so I can't emphasise enough the knowledge you'll gain by joining in with like minded people. In time you'll feel comfortable enough to venture to new ground solo or with a mate if travelling to remote (The Outback) don't kid yourself or over estimate your ability :N: if you do it could be the last trip you ever go on even experienced Aussie's venturing to the Outback and remote locations get into trouble.

1518170725_76694a52-a7ae-4945-984d-018d8052cae4.jpg
not a common thing but tiger snakes do climb trees . So instead of watching for drop bears might have to watch for drop snakes.

Their a bloody menace (any snake in my opinion) those tiger snakes. Aggressive little kritters :N: and they love damp cool places on stinking hot days alot like humans and most other snakes :rolleyes:. I'm convinced the heat of last few weeks is the reason the baby brown ended up in my young blokes room. Honestly what snake or human would venture into a teenagers retreat ffs, snakes obviously have the ability of common sense as a last resort :lol:.

I don't want this post to turn into a s%*t fight about what must be carried who is right or wrong etc etc
if you have something to add then please add it (photos would be good)
if you dont have anything constructive to say or add then shut up and move onto another post

Lets see what you all carry on your person when moving away from your veh/camp site
in an area you have never been to
or in an area you think you know like the back of your hand

Four things that are not shown that i carry are

1: Sat Phone (on loan) don't trust them out in the field but carry one
2: Map of the area i am going into (hard copy)
3: 2 x space blankets
4: 2 x 24 hour ration packs

for those that don't know what the item is above the PLB its an Infa Red Distress Marker Light and strobe light

This is MY OPINION ONLY i don't carry electronic maps as there is to much can go wrong with them
I have a VMS in the Turtle to get me into the general area i wish to go after that it is hard copy maps and compass

1552887284_100_8033.jpg

and this is what i carry it in

1552887310_100_8034.jpg