Tuena NSW Camping Information and Questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WalnLiz

Wal nLiz
Reaction score
Just some general info on the camp ground. Situated just below the general store and pub. Has a well kept toilet and shower block (showers are coin operated so bring some $1 coins ). There are Powered sites for vans, and unlimited non powered sites right up to the waters' edge.

They charge $5 per night for non powered and $10 per night for powered ...Payable to Janelle up in the general store.

Cheers Wal

G'day all , looking to take the kids to Tuena on the Anzac weekend--our first visit there. , can you use a chainsaw for firewood there ? Not around camp of course .
Will be taking a pan (first time using) and the Ctx , would there be any areas to look for old coins ect
Cheers

A property owner got really upset one time due to someone cutting down a dead tree that was home to an owls nest or possum or someething, he got on here and ripped a few people a new one, which I can totally understand. I don't think members were involved though. He made it known though that there was to be no camping or collecting wood from the Mt Costigan Rd area.

Just be careful what you cut up with it and there should be no probs.

Along the road side verges well back from the town should not be a problem.
Just remember that the locals will be in gathering mode as well for winter. :)

Mate if you inquire about firewood with Janelle at the shop ,she can put you in touch with the bloke next door who can supply you... for a nominal fee.. or she will let you know where to go for it...introduce yourself to her.. or any off the staff... this reinforces the relations we are hoping to maintain among the locals and ensures that you won't inadvertently put yourself offside with anyone.Good luck with your detecting... if you confine your searching along the creek banks north and south of the camp you should not have any trouble from the locals.. if you dig ..fill it in ;) if you want to pan.. try spots downstream of rocks and logs..in cracks and hollows.. the water level is low so that means you can get at spots normally under water :cool: ..you might be best taking a bucket which you can fill with paydirt and then carry it to a waterhole where you can have fun with the kids panning..cheers Rossco :cool:

Cheers Rosso, I'll buy a bit from that bloke next door , im sure he would like the extra cash.
Thanks all for the info.

i take my chain saw with me normally but dont think i have needed at tuena so far, just been lucky and i take a bag or two of wood with me for the first night, but if that guy sells wood down there i would much rather support a local down there, thanks for that info Rossco

As someone who lives on a block set in state forest I am a bit like the old bloke mentioned above.
Around here anything standing stays standing, anything on the ground is fair game. We have a few habitat trees, standing dead, and I'd have no worries in reporting anyone who dropped them.
I always have the saw when I go out as I've been stuck when trees have dropped over tracks on far too many occasions, a saw makes all the difference.
Safe travels

In reality there is no need to drop any dead tree's.
There is plenty on the ground any ways.
On the up and coming Tuena Meetup, I will be
purchasing some wood from the local who supplies it.

Can someone tell me what the campground is like at Tuena please?

Is it correct that it's only $5.00/night for unpowered and $10.00/night for powered sites?

Are there showers/toilets and potable water, available?

Apart from the rowdy mob from PA that frequent the place, is it fairly quiet?

Last time I was there those prices were correct
Very quiet

Showers are a 5 minute walk away hot/cold
Can't remember the water as I took my own anyway.
Not too bad at all for camping

Red Arrows are water tanks.
Blue Arrows are showers/toilets.
You will need $1.00 coins for the showers
for hot water.
1518071083_tuena_campground.jpg

The Tuena Hilton (the cricket shed) is worth considering. Has power, two fridges, is near the toilets and shower, and has plenty of room to roll out the swag or pitch a tent. Only costs $25 a night, which is very good value shared among a few prospectors!

Its the structure at the top right of TJs pic.

The place would be a lot quiter than usual id imagine without the constant high banker groups staying.
But even when its relatively busy there is always room to set up and enjoy your space. In the unlikely event you cant get on a powered site its fine to piggy back of someone elese if you have a lead, but pay the right amount though $.
Money is paid at the general store/ pub/ bottle o, and they also supply basic groceries, frozen meat ,bread, milk and ice etc.
Great little town :) :Y:

Oh by the way .. showers are coin operated and 1 buck for 3 minutes .

GaryO said:
The place would be a lot quiter than usual id imagine without the constant high banker groups staying.
But even when its relatively busy there is always room to set up and enjoy your space. In the unlikely event you cant get on a powered site its fine to piggy back of someone elese if you have a lead, but pay the right amount though $.
Money is paid at the general store/ pub/ bottle o, and they also supply basic groceries, frozen meat ,bread, milk and ice etc.
Great little town :) :Y:

Oh by the way .. showers are coin operated and 1 buck for 3 minutes .

Hmmm, are you suggesting that the high banker crowd are rowdy in the park or are they just noisy whilst they're using their high bankers in the creek?

My van is pretty well set up for self sufficient living, but sometimes it can be nice to run a heater on a winter's night.

I'm looking forward to checking it out.