Coiltek Cracking Issue ...... how real is it.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
bought a coiltek 14 x9 coil start of oct 2017 noticed cracks forming at the ends of the mounting point were the meet the flat surface of coil have been using the coil in a way that was more mindful of not braking the handle of my gpx4500 only noticed them when I put my glasses onto look for a tiny target, the coil still finds gold good.Have used my 14" round elite about the same time with no problems and the mono coil that comes with gpx4500 more and no problems with that coil heres hoping its covered by warranty,has any body else been through this circle?
1515480635_fullsizeoutput_73f.jpg

I had a 14 inch round elite that cracked on the top right near the edge ,since that happened I found it more noisy then Than usual . I got it second hand so unsure about the warranty I never inquired. I'd surely hope it would be covered by the warranty as you were only using it in the way it was made to do ?

My 14" Elite has small cracks like that. The 11" Elite I borrowed last year was badly cracked in the same area. I think that's a weak point on the Coiltek Elite.

rang up coiltek after there holiday and the girl i spoke to said they have had some problem with there plastic ,and to send the coil in .took it to minersden and it was sent off for coiltek to check it out, all going as one would hope so far.

Moneybox said:
My 14" Elite has small cracks like that. The 11" Elite I borrowed last year was badly cracked in the same area. I think that's a weak point on the Coiltek Elite.

1607596348_elite.jpg

Poor design, great product, super sensitive but .... poor design. A bit of lateral thinking would fix this flaw, refer to Nugget Finders, tough, tough and tough.

Recently A-Team posted photos of his cracked 11" Elite coil, pretty well stuffed would be a good description ......

1607678168_25aa42e5-7aa4-4c9a-90fc-da8312551626.jpg

Turns out the coil was 2nd hand having, I assume, a hard life in the WA goldfields, my assumption is it was stepped on or squashed with stuff loaded in a car.

Prospector Pete, no one can question his capabilities, similarly claims ......
"Never heard of a NF Evo cracking on the top but heard of more than a few Coilteks doing it".

Now I'm not saying one is better than the other, really just personal preference, but what I do query, especially with the 11" Elite is how many can personally say theirs has cracked as a result of normal usage (yes photographic evidence would be great).

I've fitted mine to the shaft and try as I may I can not put enough pressure on it to see anything resembling movement that would lead to cracking, actually had to tighten the GPX handle as it twisted putting sidewards pressure on the coil. Front and rear pressure merely turned the coil on the retaining screw.

So we have photo evidence of 1 stuffed coil and comments (2nd hand ??) of "more than a few" cracking. What's the real story.

SHOW ME THE MONEY .... I mean CRACKS.

Cheers Tom

It is one of the reasons why I bought NF....lots of cracks & bump noise issues talked about everywhere with the Coilteks.

As to how these came to be damaged is anyones guess, but a bit more than just a few cases suggest there could be an issue there.

When i first got the 5000, I did a day of training at Maryborough Gold Centre (VIC)

The instructor mentioned that when not using the detector and in particular the coils fitted to the lower shaft, undo the wing nut to release the pressure on the mounting webs. This helps reduce cracking especially if left in a hot car. i.e. I have 6 lower shafts, one on each of my coils. I tape the cable to the shaft, so that when changing coils I take the shaft out and replace with another and than only need to wind the coil cable around the upper shaft and plug in. I might have a couple of other coils in the car while off using the one fitted to the 5000.

This was said to me about 6 years ago before the Evo or Elite were available and aimed at the Commanders I got with the detector.

That's not saying anything re any particular brand, model or size.

fwdoz said:
....lots of cracks & bump noise issues talked about everywhere with the Coilteks.

So I keep hearing ..... but yet to actually hear from anyone that's had the actual (cracks) problem. Try putting pressure on your coil and tell me how easy it would be to flex/crack it.

Cheer T.

Oh and I can confirm NO cracks/bump noises with my 11" or 14" Elites

I thought it was an issue with the plastic on early Elite coils but they had it sorted now?

Haven't heard of any problems with newer Elites?
I did buy a new Coiltek 16" Goldstalker coil once that was extremely bump/touch sensitive but it was replaced quickly under warranty :Y:
Personally never had an issue with Minelab, Detech, NF or any other Coiltek coils I've owned.
I've heard of these types of issues (coil ear cracks/breaks, bump sensitivity etc.) with all major brands of coils but thankfully they all seem to have good aftersales service & warranty replacement.

Teemore said:
fwdoz said:
....lots of cracks & bump noise issues talked about everywhere with the Coilteks.

So I keep hearing ..... but yet to actually hear from anyone that's had the actual (cracks) problem. Try putting pressure on your coil and tell me how easy it would be to flex/crack it.

Cheer T.

Oh and I can confirm NO cracks/bump noises with my 11" or 14" Elites

It could be a case that the mouldings on some models were not up to spec. Sometimes products can have manufacturing defects ironed out, so it might be related only to a particular batch?

Maybe only Coiltek know the answers...

Come on guys, there are close to 20,000 members, surely one of those must have had 1st hand experience with this issue .........
as opposed to "heard of" the issue.

I know 19,000 are probably only 1 time visitors and 800 come and have a sticky beak, and the others contribute often.

Speak up please, trying to dispel it as an "urban myth".

Oh, I'm also bored waiting for the smoker to do its thing with a lump of brisket and leg of lamb.

Cheers T.

The silence may be the answer to your question.

If you look at the pics in your OP the coils do look like they have had a very hard life, every brand will show signs of fatigue
when abused.

On the Coiltek website FAQ page, it refers to "cracks" specifically: https://coiltek.com.au/more/faq/

This warranty covers any manufacturing errors like cracks in plastics or performance issues like no response which are from manufacturing faults

Can I repair any part of my coil like cracked plastics or the plug?

I spoke to Coiltek directly who said they were not aware of a systemic problem of cracking with their current range. There were a few issues in the past that have been rectified (in reference to the larger 14x9 coils). The coil I have has obviously been "well used" by the overall wear and tear. I am not Coiltek and believe they have a brilliant product that performs extremely well. This coil, while dealing with the noise, gave me finds every time I used it. So the performance is definitely there. But if they don't keep up with the times, design-wise, they might have a hard time competing.

1607734271_elite-2.jpg

Now the image above points out what was going on inside the coil. There has been obvious movement for some time to cause this wear. The foam had not softened at all. The covers were 100% true (flat, no deforms) - you can see some water ingress from a recent trip prospecting when it rained. The wear inside has gone "through" many parts of the conductive black paint and has even started wearing through the contact wire with the tape over it. My point is, how can these coils possibly perform to their maximum capacity with a design that allows any coil movement inside it's casing. The coil was firm to remove but not braced or bonded in any way. If it had of been, there never would be a reason to open them. The top webbing on its competitors seems to have evolved into stronger designs and manufacturing processes. Let me be clear, I LOVE the performance of these coils, just not the design!

Further investigation shows wear marks on the top and bottom everywhere. The top wear "may" be exasperated by the cracking which looks like over tightening may have contributed to. The bottom shielding wire is close to rubbing through the tape, the top cover itself is thin plastic and the webbing is hollow with no support. I will be repairing this coil as it's performance is nothing short of amazing on my modified 5000.

1607761232_elite-3.jpg

Can anyone tell me what this particular plastic is as I have to find a glue/epoxy or whatever is going to be needed to repair her. I already have the conductive paint and will be securing the coil "within" the casing - probably with a little silicone. I will also be strengthening the design while trying not to add too much weight. Replacing the top cover would mean removing the wire, so just leaving it and repairing the coil is the easier option, and save a $400 plus coil.

1607761249_elite-4.jpg

Reading around the forums I found this...so, not definitive, but obviously, I am not alone. Awesome performance, poor design - a love/hate relationship with Coiltek.

https://www.detectorprospector.com/forums/topic/4110-detech-versus-coiltek-elite-coils/

I have used coiltek but found them a bit to touch sensitive working around rocks and bushes

Latest posts