Lead disc

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all, not sure what I have here, hopefully someone has seen one before. I found this in central Vic, the date should be around 1880-1890. I don't really know where to start with ID'ing it, I'm not 100 percent sure about it's purpose (button if I had to take a punt). It's a lead disc about the size of a 5c coin, one side has a bird and the word PATENT underneath it. The flip side has a brand which i can't make out properly due to the corrosion aside from the ampersand, something like "S & B". Any clues would be appreciated!

1517885584_side_1.jpg

1517885584_side_2.jpg

aussiefarmer said:
"seal" so a piece of lead etc that would have had the ends of wire or similar in it therefore sealing whatever was bound with the wire.

Thanks, this looks spot on to me! It's definitely been squashed at some point as the mark is off-center. My Google skills have pretty much reached their limit trying to find the brand though, pretty sure it says S&B or S&D. The eagle seems to have some mighty drumsticks so I suppose it might have been holding something in it's claws.

Guessologist said:
aussiefarmer said:
"seal" so a piece of lead etc that would have had the ends of wire or similar in it therefore sealing whatever was bound with the wire.

Thanks, this looks spot on to me! It's definitely been squashed at some point as the mark is off-center. My Google skills have pretty much reached their limit trying to find the brand though, pretty sure it says S&B or S&D. The eagle seems to have some mighty drumsticks so I suppose it might have been holding something in it's claws.

Oh god, I hope it's not German :lol: :lol:

You know.... it rhymes with...er... bazi bore beagle.... :lol:

Sandta said:
Try this link...

Should keep you busy for a while .....Plenty to look through ;)

Sure did, went through the lot and couldn't find anything close!

With a bit more searching I might have come up with a lead, but it's a little tenuous. S&B could be Sellier & Bellot, the Czech ammo manufacturer. The crowned eagle is part of the Czech coat of arms, and I found a post showing them historically using the Austro-Hungarian double-headed eagle which i can't post yet apparently :p

Need a few more posts so you can picture it up then.... maybe tell a little (at a time) :D about the site where you found it and what type of social habitation might have been going on there way back when. It may help us all in ideas.... and get your post# tally up as well. :Y: