Fossicking around Victor Harbor

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What is the chances of finding Gold near or around Victor Harbor or Fleurieu Peninsula and what are legal places to Fossick? I am brand new to this hobby.

Thanks

Guys & Gals :)

victor harbor is at 6 o clock
it will give you a bit of an idea what is around the rest is up to you
1517120769_victor_harbour.jpg

Hi Chevy1977
You can find gold in the upper reaches of the Finns river around Mount Compass.
Good Gold can be found in the onkaparinga just down from Clarendon.

Both locations would require permission to cross land to the rivers. However if you wanted to make the trek up the onk you could hike up from the national park, but its a fair hike but worth it. I have puled nice gold from here.

If you want more precise location, PM me

You could always try Jupiter's Creek in Echunga which is the only public fossicing ares south of Adelaide

Hillbillygold

HBG.....are you talking detectable gold or panning, or both along the Finniss and Onk.
...sorry to jump in on your post Chevy, but as a local too, Im always after more knowledge about my backyard.

7.62marksman, if you dont mind me asking, whats the mines overly on Google Earth ur using?

Blackfellows Creek, which was part of the Willunga goldfields, still shows some colour, but you will need permission. There was also a gold mine almost dead centre of Granite Island back in the day.

Sent you a PM about that Clrendon gold, HBG.

TT

Hi Ozzie

I have only panned the upper Finnis directly below the hill on which there is an old gold mine, but there was evidence some one had been detecting. There is no sign of alluvial mining and the mine its self is a reef mind. The land the mine is on is privately owned but has been deemed or zoned as a sanctuary now. I got permission to enter the land from the owners which helps.

The best gold i have got is from the Onk, again i don't detect. I like to pan and sluice.
The area i go on the Onk was mined back in the day by the old timers and it was only alluvial mining. You can still see the evidence there. I have puled from the river, gold as big as 1/2 my little finger nail. Every time i have been there i have never seen any evidence of detecting. But i would say it would be great for detecting.

No one can stop you being on the river or 3mt ether side of it. The problem is crossing someones land to get to the river, that you need permission for.

The beauty with the Onk is its down from the Mount Bold dam, and once a year they open the flood gates ( usually at the beginning of winter to allow for winter rains ).
This sends a torrent down the river renewing and exposing new gold. There are large exposed quartz veins in the river banks and which also run under the river.

I now live in QLD so i haven't been there for quite some time. I don't know if things have changed there but every time i was there i never saw anyone or any evidence of any one being there, only my old digs.

I will post some old photos when i find them.

HBG

7.62marksman said:
i got it off ebay from a guy at Ulladulla NSW
cut and paste this in ebay two will come up they are both him
GOLD MINES NUGGETS LOCATIONS

traded for opal locations with the guy a long time ago,those SA maps with dollar signs are what I gave him.

No doubt there's a few victorians running around with the 'VIC' edition I posted on facebook groups.

I removed it after a few venomous members gave me the shits.

yes i paid for mine a fair while back now
i find it is good to use and as you see if someone asks i put up a snapshot of the area they are looking at
and as i have said its then up to them to work out if you are or are not allowed in the areas

Shame we didn't meet sooner.you wouldn't have had to pay!

You hit the nail on the head as to why some of these maps are not for the average user,you need to cross reference with land ownership and park boundaries etc etc.

Last thing you need is all your gear confiscated.

Hey malri_au, you seem to be a bit of a mapologist and location expert..... have you had any luck yourself in finding a productive area from all your research efforts or is the research the main game here ?

Research is always core to anyones search,so it has been my main focus for the last few years.

I honestly haven't put in the 'field' effort yet to make much in gains,personal health is an issue,also in SA we call them personal collections.

If I want to prospect in SA,I have to turn pro,which means going interstate until then.

Been gearing up mostly,gold has been on the back burner for a year or so with cryptocurrency taking up too much time.

I know you from the facebook groups I feel,perhaps we exchanged email at some stage? ;)

Fair enough,just asking ye to reveal yourself should ye be an old haunt.

Which SA detecting club are you in?

I've seen you've been able to get some decent station access,we should talk. :D

Latest posts