Where to prospect with no permission in WA?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi !

I just obtained my Miner's right in Perth and I have the access to Tengraph but I understand absolutely nothing with it, even with the notice...
I see that there is every tenement but I'm looking for the "Unllocated Crown Land (Vacant Land)" where I can prospect without permission. But I don't find it in Tengraph !! It is the areas with no color? How to be sure that it is one?

And another question, in the guide they gave me, it's written that I can prospect in pastoral lease after notify the pastoralist, so I can prospect even if they don't agree, I just need to notify them?

Thanks ! :)

(by the way if you know some Unallocated spots near Leonoro, I won't say no :D )

I meant in the bush around Kalgoorlie, Leonoro and Laverton ^^' (what is EL and PL?)

Hi mate, you need to have permission on an EL, either by written permission or a 40E permint. On a PL you need written permission. On an ML you need written permission.

The only ground you can detect on without permission or a permit is vacant crown land or a pending lease.

Saying that, you still need to contact the pastoralist if that vacant crown land or pending lease is covered by a pastoral lease.
Although crown land, the pastoralist still has rights afforded to him under the pastoral act.

Keep in mind there has been much rain in those areas over the last few weeks with still more on its way. Stay off station tracks if wet, you can be held liable for damage.

EL = Exploration lease
PL = prospecting License.
ML = Mining Lease

Yep, pending just means it's been applied for and just not yet approved.

Pending he can detect on, just notify the pastoralist if it's on a pastoral lease which it most likely will be.

Yup , if its on common land then a 40 e permit is reqired allowing a maximum of 20kgs of gold per permit ?pastoral land 40 e permit and permission obtained from the pastoralist is required . is my limited understanding ?

Kind regards

A 40E or written permission is required for an active (live) Exploration lease only.

You can't get a 40E for a PL or ML and don't need one on any Pending lease

madtuna said:
A 40E or written permission is required for an active (live) Exploration lease only.

You can't get a 40E for a PL or ML and don't need one on any Pending lease
My understanding if its pastoralists commonwealth land then notification needs to be given . My knowledge is antiquated , but at least Im not from the USA

Kind regards

Most crown land this way is covered by pastoral leases, and yes just notify the pastoralist of your intentions.
Very simple requirement but amazing how many dont and it just serves to make it harder every year until soon it will be closed down.

Thanks MT, I assume purchasing a lease with a permit and of works , ie vegetation pushing would stop detectorists from venturing on your claim but until its approved then Im wrong and glad I did not purchase Clementes and banana tenements at kookynie

If it's an active lease you're buying, nothing changes...it just changes hands and is still an active lease.
It's only when a lease lapses and starts the whole pending process again.

Saying that, about the only way you can stop numpies poaching on your lease is to be there.

Yeah thats right , the Chinese bought it 6 hours before I arrived , they had thr accompanying lease to the north and east . My understanding is authorities are more vigilant these days but I find it hard to believe in WA where I used to operate machinery and live , its just too big

Nah they are more proactive now than they used to be. Office in Kalgoorlie and spend much time on the road travelling the gold fields, known hot spots and caravan parks.
Lost count of how many times I saw them last year and had to call on them a few times.

Good to hear , Busselton raised ,looling for a way back home to the West by way of mining again, spent to many years in an office on the east coast . Mining is in the blood , my uncle king brown spent 40 years as the final trimmer for haul roads and myself several years . Both for Henrywalker . A lease with a POW might just be my way back home

Danny

Latest posts