Minelab GP Extreme tips, settings, questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PhaseTech said:
The GP series still have the best audio response in my opinion of any gold detector. They were the last of the analogues.

So that would explain why I loved the audio of a SD2200v2 I had a go at compared to my gpx. The SD had a sweet tone and my gpx feels more electronic if that makes sense.

After a little play with SD I'm sure I could find gold with it so the GP would be even better.

PhaseTech said:
The big 18" is a very good coil, just a tad on the heavy size, and you need open areas to swing it. It is quite deadly using E (on the coil switch), Sensitive and Deep.

Thanks for the info guys
Ya not wrong there PhaseTech, its bloody heavy to swing round, had to rest every now and then, and i'm not a little fella.

Wondering if anyone might be able to help.
I have a GP Extreme that has had little work, while i was out today it was working perfectly for around 2 hours, (found some shot and a couple old bullets). I took my headphones of for a minute to talk to a mate, then when i put them back on..... nothing, just a very very faint humm. When i put any metal near the coil, nothing just the same very faint humm. All the volumes and setting are ok.
I have changed batteries, changed coils. I ran a multimeter over the batteries and they are showing 6.5v. It hasn't been dropped or anything. Is there a fuse or anything inside the control box? hoping someone can shed some light on it for me..

Cheers

PhaseTech said:
Does it start up as normal?

Is your threshold adjustable?

when i switch it on it starts but i would say not as normal, it doesn't give that loud tone on start up, yep threshold is adjustable i've turned it up tuned it down, no change, just very faint (super quiet) really have to concentrate to hear it, quiet. and when i pass an metal object over the coil, nothing.

ave-a-go said:
PhaseTech said:
Does it start up as normal?

Is your threshold adjustable?

when i switch it on it starts but i would say not as normal, it doesn't give that loud tone on start up, yep threshold is adjustable i've turned it up tuned it down, no change, just very faint (super quiet) really have to concentrate to hear it, quiet. and when i pass an metal object over the coil, nothing.
Hi Mate sounds like the curley cable from battery to detector or headfones i had the same trouble years ago, Ron.

Jarrod84 said:
I'm in Lethbridge, I don't think you're far away. I have a 4 pin power cable if you want to try it. Also battery and spare headphones from an SD2200.

Thats awesome Jarrod. thanks heaps for the offer. Nope im not far at all, Teesdale. I'll Pm you my mobile number if thats ok.

Big thanks to Jarrod84, for the help out with my machine, shame it wasn't something simple.
At least now i know its in the control box.

Anyone have any ideas what it might be? is there a fuse in the control box maybe? or should i just take it in to a shop

Hi. I have been given a GP Extreme less batteries. I have the battery tops but am struggling to find the batteries themselves. Does anyone know where near Cairns I can get the correct batteries or is there an alternative. Thanks :D

Hi Batman64. have a look at lithium batteries. Im not sure what battery the GP Extreme uses but I just recently replaced my lead acid battery for my SD2100 with a lithium setup. I bought a twin battery setup from Reeds Prospecting here in WA but did my own box on it as they don't.
heres a link to some pics of my unit as I made the box up. They use 2x Drypower lithium 6V batteries, type IFM6-45E2
To note, the Lead battery weighs just over 2kg, the twin lithium weighs just over 1kg
note 2, the downside, Reeds charge $190 for the twin pack here,
http://www.reedsprospecting.com.au/shop/detail/lithium-dome-top-battery-4-pin/

my pics here
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=436542#p436542