NT Northern Territory information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all,

We are planning on emigrating to the NT at some stage over the next couple of years, and being an addicted detectorist in the UK I want to continue with my hobby.

I have found the forum full of great information, but can any tell me how I find out if land is free to fossick on, for example vacant crown land, free of an active lease, not sacred land etc.

Dont want to start committing offences or angering anyone.

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum

Thanks

Andy

Wecome aboard Andy.... be prepared, metallic history over here is relatively recent so far as we can tell ,.... we all want to be able to detect over where you are..... and would if we could, but no one wants to leave the long bbq. :)

Thanks for the welcome Jaros & Silver.

I agree the metallic history in the UK is old, I recently found 5 Celtic Gold coins dating back 2000 years, which went through the UK Treasure process. But it also never seems to stop being wet and cold here! I spend more time cleaning mud off my detector than actually finding anything! :)

1517285586_10.jpg

Hi,

Thanks for the welcome 7.62marksman and Lonewolf.

Gladly put up with the wet if I can get away from the cold! :lol:

Hi all, doesnt look like I will be making it to W.A. this season so will give my dough to the N.T. instead. Have never detected there before and was wondering if any members with experience of the N.T. would be able to advise me of any prospective areas where i might have a reasonable chance of some joy. I will be going up as far as tennant creek. I will free camp some at Warrego fossicking area . Is Arltunga worth a go. Any return info or PM would be gladly received. Thanks guys Peterau

Gday Peter,
Ive been to Arltunga ( public fossicking area ) and didnt have any luck as it was quite overgrown with long grass at the time.
There is a very interesting mining interpretative centre at the reserve with a lot of historical info.
If you do venture out there, do yourself a favour and spend some time at Hale River aka Old Ambalindum Station...... another 25 kms. up the track from Arltunga. The facilities there are first class for camping, like an oasis in the desert. They will also let you have a swing around their property, which has very good AU indicators.
1597057326_35d7c365-d5fd-4705-b290-3afae9ce78ed.jpg

1597057326_23b6ab28-d8de-44b2-ab24-bad8fbff2649.jpg

1597057327_960388a6-cc3b-48f0-a71f-39fbc1335e61.jpg

Theres also public land available about 40 kms. north of Tennant Ck. at Warrego.
Call into the info centre and you can get a map.
Cheers Adrian.

PS.... thats a huge quartz blow in the hills in the bottom pic. on Hale River Stn.

Hi Adrian, Thanks for the info. I'm currently at Tennant Creek, been out to warrego area but so far no joy. Will try again tomorrow then maybe head back down to Alice Springs. Cheers Peter

Pete, a mate of mine had good success on the windrows of the mining haul roads in Tennant?
With the newly released SD2000!
Was 30 years ago, so don't even know if its possible to do that now?

Have left Tennant creek, only found one small bit at warrego. was well received though. Any gold is good gold. Will spend a week or more now at Gemtree and fossick for some garnet and zircons. Weathers been great at tennant creek, low 30's and blue sky every day. Gemtree supposed to be blue skies and mid to low 20's every day. Lifes reasonably good, considering.

Latest posts