learning what to look for

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

over the long weekend I was in gippsland Vic, so went to the Avon river near Stratford to look for agate. I found it quite frustrating because when I got there all I saw was "rocks" and felt like I didn't really know what to look for to find the "good ones". When getting home and looking in the books I have and on the internet, so many pictures of agate show them all cut and polished and looking pretty, which doesn't really help to find them in the field.

So that brings me to my question, how did you all learn what to look for when in the field and things are all dirty etc. (and not just agate but all gems/minerals).
Was it reading books, if so which do you recommend?
Does anyone know of guided outings where someone shows you what the things are?
Or joining a club and going on outings with them?

Any advice or suggestions greatly appreciated.

Collene

Of those options, joining a club or at least going to one and meeting like minded people is probably the best thing you could do.
Books offer very basic information and are sometimes next to useless, it is very difficult to identify rocks by looking at photos in a book as that picture is only of that particular stone which may or may not be representative of all of the variations that could be possible.

The best teacher is going to be experience in the field and once you know what to look for you will be amazed at how easy it is to look at a rock and go "Nah, that aint it". Mind you, if it piques your interest stick it in your finds bag for closer inspection later.

Not the whole avon river is exempted. Only certain sections of it.

Thanks for the suggestions. Im looking for a club to join then i can at least pick their brains a bit. :D

Best way to learn is to join a club... What area of Vic are you located? and I will post up some club details for you...
Look out for Gem/Mineral shows as well, where you can buy a piece of rough agate or anything else that you want to find in the field (they will have plenty for sale) and ask lots of Questions... Its a hobby that takes quite some learning... Local library would have some books you can borrow too...

When you are 'out there' look for anything unusual or different and bring it home to ID...

Google is also your friend and there are heaps of info out there for you.. Most of all Have Fun.... :Y:

LW...

Thanks. Im in western suburbs of melb. And i know there is a club in essendon so plan to check them out. Hopefully they do regular field trips.

Collene said:
Thanks. Im in western suburbs of melb. And i know there is a club in essendon so plan to check them out. Hopefully they do regular field trips.

Most clubs have an outing at least once a month, with members doing their own thing most week-ends.... :Y:

LW....

I have seen some good videos on You Tube of a guy in the USA that finds heaps of agates & you can see what he is looking for quite clearly.
He pours water on them to show the signs

Collene said:
Not the whole avon river is exempted. Only certain sections of it.

Oh, neat. Which bits arent exempted? Im making prospecting maps, so want to get them right.

The exempted list states Avon River (in County of Tanjil, Tributary of Lake Wellington), and the only bit of the Avon not in Tanjil County is in National Park.

Well I thought I was ok to fossick there. I did check on the geovic maps, but it is possible that I read it wrong as I am new at all this.

If it isn't allowed in the Avon River then that is interesting because when I drive over the bridge I often see people in there, and I've seen it mentioned on other forums.
Will have to do more investigating on that one, and play with the geovic maps a bit more to make sure I am reading them correctly.

I just managed to find a readable version of the map of the county of tanjil on the internet and it appears I misread the borders (or typed it in wrong) as Stratford does indeed sit well inside the borders of Tanjil county. So my bad. :8 woops.

Ah nuts. It doesnt help that everybody (including government departments) stopped using Counties decades ago.

Freestone Creek and Valencia Creek seem okay though, and only ~15 minutes north of Stratford. Ive heard both carry gemstones.

Latest posts