Thomas Gaunt - optician?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I recently found an item in a vintage store that has a label affixed to it, which reads
1517284053_thomas_gaunt_label_1.jpg
"Thos (Thomas) Gaunt, Optician, Royal Arcade, Melbourne". From the reading I have done, Thomas Gaunt was a jeweller and watchmaker, and had a shop in the Royal Arcade until his death in 1890. I have found several posts by people who have found pocket watches etc made by Thomas Gaunt (or Thomas Gaunt and Co as it was known after 1890), however, I cannot find anything referring to him as an optician, or that his company manufactured optical-type instruments. Would anyone have any information that could help me identify where this item might have come from? Thanks in advance!

Might help if we knew what the actual item is that the plaque belongs too, is it mounted on a strorage box or an actual instrument? Also note that he imported a lot of gear into Australia, including pocket watches which were re-labelled as T.Gaunt manufactured items. Was quite pleased to find one of his pocket watches in a country 2nd hand shop, still works too. ;)

Latest posts